Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
powderjay

Best surf boards for the family, how many do we need?

Recommended Posts

powderjay

Wifey = beginner 135 lbs.

Me = beginner 190lbs

kids under 100 lbs.

 

Board we have was free when we bought our boat.  So as we are all advancing in skill level what are out best options.  Is there 1 all purpose board or should I get a couple that would be better suited for the different riders?

Share this post


Link to post
05hammerhead

You can start with 1 board, but as you get better youre gonna want options.  Id start with a bigger surf style option to start and thisll be your go to teaching board then as you get better try some skim boards and move into the carbon realm.  Eventually youll want 3/4 boards to screw around with, but starting out you need something pretty basic. 

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide

I would suggest a 4' 8" honu by soulcraft, if you want a board you can ride for a VERY long time. 

My favorite board to start people on is a Ronix power tail, it is wider than most boards so not as critical to foot position.  It is also very stable, so it is kind of forgiving so to say.  However after they learn to get up and control speed, back and forth, and carve a little, we put them on a Soulcraft,  all roads eventually end there.  

The difference being the soulcrafts are WAY faster than the power tail, also goes rail to rail much faster, as you progress these are wanted attributes, when just learning they make the board feel a little chaotic and unstable.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Josh4mc
3 hours ago, DarkSide said:

I would suggest a 4' 8" honu by soulcraft, if you want a board you can ride for a VERY long time. 

My favorite board to start people on is a Ronix power tail, it is wider than most boards so not as critical to foot position.  It is also very stable, so it is kind of forgiving so to say.  However after they learn to get up and control speed, back and forth, and carve a little, we put them on a Soulcraft,  all roads eventually end there.  

The difference being the soulcrafts are WAY faster than the power tail, also goes rail to rail much faster, as you progress these are wanted attributes, when just learning they make the board feel a little chaotic and unstable.  

 

Solid advice right here. The Power Tail will be one of the easier boards to get you all up on, will be able to ride more of the wave and will be a great boat board once you all outgrow it. Other cheaper boards that are not as good of a ride are the CWB Ride, Liquid Force Fish and the Hyperlite Broadcast.

When you want to advance past the beginner boards everyone seems to recommend the custom or wakesurf only brands. Surf style: Soulcraft, Doomswell, Chaos, Day1, etc. Skim style: Victoria, Phase 5, Exile, etc. I am personally looking at Soulcraft but want to demo before I buy because they will run you $800-$1000. Should have that opportunity next month.

Edited by Josh4mc

Share this post


Link to post
DarkSide
4 minutes ago, Josh4mc said:

Solid advice right here. The Power Tail will be one of the easier boards to get you all up on, will be able to ride more of the wave and will be a great boat board once you all outgrow it. Other cheaper boards that are not as good of a ride are the CWB Ride, Liquid Force Fish and the Hyperlite Broadcast.

When you want to advance past the beginner boards everyone seems recommend the custom or wakesurf only brands. Surf style: Soulcraft, Doomswell, Chaos, Day1, etc. Skim style: Victoria, Phase 5, Exile, etc. I am personally looking at Soulcraft but want to demo before I buy because they will run you $800-$1000. Should have that opportunity next month.

Just remember different models ride completely different, fin configuration also changes them entirely.  Kinda like test driving a "chevy", if you are looking to race around the track, and you demo the Silverado dually, you will likely not be impressed, but if you get a stingray, you will leave with a smile.    

Call or email Jeff wahlers to get starting point suggestions.  Then demo from there.   

Share this post


Link to post
95echelon

You need to state budget. Hyperlite broadcast has treated us well as a boat board with a phase 5 scamp for the kiddies.

I should have specified a couple of things: I am 195, wife is 120, kids range from 40-60. The broadcast you will grow out of quickly but it is extremely forgiving and great for teaching guests as well.

Edited by 95echelon

Share this post


Link to post
bbattiste247

We all recently started as beginners and bought beginner boards that were large and buoyant. As we progressed (wife, son and me), we found that Phase 5 is by far the best over all board. We all tried different boards prior to buying Phase 5's, but overall they seem to be better than all the other brands we owned or tried including O'Brien, Ronix, Liquid Force, CWB and Hyperlite.

I am 185lbs. and I love my Phase 5 Race.

Wife is 105lbs. and she rides a Phase 5 Superfish.

Son is 130 lbs and he has the Phase 5 ModelX (smaller version).

Share this post


Link to post
vaporbluebu
24 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

You need to state budget. Hyperlite broadcast has treated us well as a boat board with a phase 5 scamp for the kiddies.

+1 for the Scamp for the kids.

Share this post


Link to post
JustinH

Hey Chief

I carry two boards, the Hyperlite Broadcast and the Byerly Volt.  Lots of naysayers on this thread about the Broadcast but I still like riding it even as recently as tonight.  Just a fun, smooth, consistent, easy, chill board.  The Byerly has (yes, like many others too) multiple fin placements that can range from ultra stable (all of them) to doing some good tricks with just one.  For me this has been a nice two board combo on my boat but it doesn't address kids surfing.  Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post
shawndoggy

+2 for the scamp.  Great board to get your under 100 pounders really surfing.  Sure, athletic kids will be able to get up and ride a bouyant, too-big board, but they are unlikely to really be able to drive the board.  On a scamp, kids can carve and pump and really learn to surf.

Share this post


Link to post
powderjay

Thanks all, that's the advise I was looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
River Monsters

We are beginners and just picked up a Doomswell Neo and Victoria Agent if you want to try a couple different styles.  We are going to sell our Ronix One Skimmer too if that is of any interest to you.

Share this post


Link to post
DirtTrailMedia

Does anyone have any feedback on the Phase 5 Rio X?
http://www.boardco.com/phase-5-rio-x-wakesurf-board-2661

I'm looking at a 54" since I'm 200lbs - I'm an experienced trick skier but a beginner at wakesurfing - looking for my first board that I don't outgrow in skill level too quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Fffrank

I use the Phase 5 Oogle as my beginner board and everyone loves it.  Stable enough for total newbies but fun and loose enough that I still like to ride it from time to time.  I'm 225lbs and I can rock it without any problem.

http://phase5boards.com/boards/2017-oogle/

 

Share this post


Link to post
TallRedRider
On 10/7/2016 at 0:46 PM, DirtTrailMedia said:

Does anyone have any feedback on the Phase 5 Rio X?
http://www.boardco.com/phase-5-rio-x-wakesurf-board-2661

I'm looking at a 54" since I'm 200lbs - I'm an experienced trick skier but a beginner at wakesurfing - looking for my first board that I don't outgrow in skill level too quickly.

I got the chance to ride a whole variety of Phase 5 boards this summer.  I ended up with the Model X and could not be happier.  It is more of a skim style.  

 

The Rio X is a supper fast and buoyant board.  I felt like I could stay in the pocket for days on it.  If definitely felt like more of a slasher than a spinner to me, but that might be my lack of surf skill coming out.  If you can make friends with someone at Boardco, they did an awesome job of sending boards to my buddy to try.  We tried several and both of us ended up with the Model X.  

Share this post


Link to post
DirtTrailMedia

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
On 7/25/2016 at 11:23 PM, JustinH said:

Hey Chief

I carry two boards, the Hyperlite Broadcast and the Byerly Volt.  Lots of naysayers on this thread about the Broadcast but I still like riding it even as recently as tonight.  Just a fun, smooth, consistent, easy, chill board.  The Byerly has (yes, like many others too) multiple fin placements that can range from ultra stable (all of them) to doing some good tricks with just one.  For me this has been a nice two board combo on my boat but it doesn't address kids surfing.  Hope that helps.

I think the broadcast is a great learning board for kids because of its wakeboard style construction, not as buoyant so kids can heal pressure flip the board that the bouyant boards make almost impossible for the kids and they push off more with the others, yet it is plenty buoyant for little ones so that they can instantly learn to stand up when getting up

i learned to surf all 4 directions on my broadcast ad well as shlashes, grinds, and 360's in my 1st two months in that board in 2014, I learned to surf on it and still use it for 360's skim style 

i love all concave top and bottom surf boards and can't stand convex like brigade, I think wake wood is also a good boat board cause design and can't hurt the board with dings

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
ChainSetter

I just got a surf gate 247. I'm looking to find a board over the winter. Ballast set up not factored in to this. I currently have a hyperlite landlock we got for learning.  I'm 180 lbs looking for a board that could do transfers easily and maybe get some air. If possible something that could pull a 360 but I understand  that may be a different board. What do you guys think?

Edited by ChainSetter

Share this post


Link to post
bbattiste247
On 10/8/2016 at 8:27 PM, TallRedRider said:

I got the chance to ride a whole variety of Phase 5 boards this summer.  I ended up with the Model X and could not be happier.  It is more of a skim style.  

 

The Rio X is a supper fast and buoyant board.  I felt like I could stay in the pocket for days on it.  If definitely felt like more of a slasher than a spinner to me, but that might be my lack of surf skill coming out.  If you can make friends with someone at Boardco, they did an awesome job of sending boards to my buddy to try.  We tried several and both of us ended up with the Model X.  

I have tried many boards and we have the Phase 5 Model X, the Danielo Diamond, the Race and the Super Fish. I am with you, we could not be happier. We love the Phase 5 boards above any others we have tried like Hyperlite, Ronix CWB and Liquid Force. 

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
20 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

I just got a surf gate 247. I'm looking to find a board over the winter. Ballast set up not factored in to this. I currently have a hyperlite landlock we got for learning.  I'm 180 lbs looking for a board that could do transfers easily and maybe get some air. If possible something that could pull a 360 but I understand  that may be a different board. What do you guys think?

I'm luvin and wife too even though it's 8" to big for her at 4'8" the LF happy pill, 4' was going fir 375 frim

wakemakers recently.  Love doing transfers, friends air this board all the time, it does s nice 180, 180 surf style 360, I surf it backside snd frontside both regular and goofy on it, grinds and slashes easily all 4 ways surfing.  Board finds the wave for both experienced and not surfers , you have to just stay on it.

i know that pros can do anything, but the vid of Austin keen doing shuvs and kick flips and any number of 360's on this board was rad, I think it was a one run filming

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post
Simo

If you only want one board for the whole family I would suggest the Powertail 4'4". My family is about the same weight range and it's a board we can all ride and have fun on.

Share this post


Link to post
ChainSetter

Love the happy pill suggestion.  I have heard that board is awesome before.  As stupid as it sounds I want something that I like the appearance of.  If I can't find that I will pick up the happy pill.  Any similar suggestions because that board sounds great if it wasn't fugly

Share this post


Link to post
Raimie
9 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

Love the happy pill suggestion.  I have heard that board is awesome before.  As stupid as it sounds I want something that I like the appearance of.  If I can't find that I will pick up the happy pill.  Any similar suggestions because that board sounds great if it wasn't fugly

I have a happy pill for sale. TMC price is $350.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/5815098554.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
1 hour ago, Raimie said:

I have a happy pill for sale. TMC price is $350.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/spo/5815098554.html

 

And the price to box and ship is $180 at ups, thanks no thanks, new one free shipping, did you ever learn to put your front foot on the rail, makes it a different board.  Fragile, but after drying repaired easily

Share this post


Link to post
granddaddy55
10 hours ago, ChainSetter said:

Love the happy pill suggestion.  I have heard that board is awesome before.  As stupid as it sounds I want something that I like the appearance of.  If I can't find that I will pick up the happy pill.  Any similar suggestions because that board sounds great if it wasn't fugly

Depending on length they have really nice color options that are always a little mellow but beautiful. Keep some Home Depot epoxy push tubes ready and always dry the board in sun before repair, use real epoxy and let it dry the standard 48.  It will ding

LET the ugly thing go, it's no sh** that this board will put a smile on the face of every single person who surfs it, just watch their face and wait, it usually takes one slash.

that ugly round nose your looking at is the secret of this board, when you slide down the face to the flat from a maneuver, the shape helps you swish the nose away from "pearling" it as most on site refer to it as the nose catching or dunking 

also that nose snd the concave construction top and bottom is why the board finds the wave push or pocket for you with only a slight lean forward. 

Repeatedly, guys who try airs on other boards , they switch to the pill and that's the 1st time we see the fins all day.   I taught an experienced teanage skim surfer his 1st fins out the water air and he's been surfing for 2 years, he did it in less than 1hour

Edited by granddaddy55

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...