Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Done with my echelon! vapor lock

2 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

67 I have tried the keying trick and the only fix has been to get a towel wet to cool the fuel lines, rails, and pump.

Where is the pump?  The rails can get quite hot, but at 39PSI, there should be some liquid in there wiht the vapor.  And the liquid should stay on the bottom, meaning the injectors should see liquid fuel.  We used to see temps get ridiculous from running an EGR line over teh fuel rail, but we never had issues with it.  It should take close to 400 degrees C / 750F to boil at 39 PSI (SAE standard pressure of modern fuel systems).  The old mechanical pump systems were barely pressurized, so it would boil at 125C (250F) or so.  

MalibuNation

Bolted to the back of the engine by the back seat.  It is pretty far down too.  Starboard side.

Back to the OP have you tried any of the tricks or consider any of the fixes.

4 minutes ago, MalibuNation said:

Bolted to the back of the engine by the back seat.  It is pretty far down too.  Starboard side.

Ah, that explains it.  I had assumed it was in the tank.  Maybe consider an in tank one.  Any idea if it is a return or a return less system?

3 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

NB, IIRC we've talked about this since we have somewhat similar setups.  Yes I have vapor lock on my LS1.  All started when ethanol was added to gas.

I recall an issue with sluggish starts and questioning your plugs/wires - not vapor lock.

As an FYI, mine only runs ethanol fuel.  In the 5+ years we have had it, I have maybe put E0 in it 6 times...only because I was on vacation at a big lake and filled up at the marina.  Even then I would typically use fuel jugs and avoid marina gas due to the cost.  Most of the year she gets a mix of Marathon gas (closest station) and fuel jugs filled with Costco...93 octane of course.

MalibuNation

My dealer told me it would be hard to retro fit the pump to the tank.  I do not know the answer to your second question.

All the 93 octane in my area has ethanol in it :cry:

Mastercraft has used in tank pumps for some time now. I'm thinking first x stars they came out with. Pumps went out very often but the technology has been there

4 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

You are making an emotional decision.  You can buy another Supra and have a whole host of other problems to deal with and throw money at.  Those are all solid suggestions from people that eliminated the problem, so they are valuable.

However, if you still want to move it, I will come and get that boat for $6k. 

Come get it. life is too short,  Im going to spend a little more and find a newer more reliable boat.  Only stipulation is that if you fix it I don't want to hear about it.. capeesh!!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, formulaben said:

I added the $70 Carter secondary pump and haven't had it since...

I also tried every trick in the book to solve it on my 06 VLX. Secondary pump was the only thing that worked but it did!

27 minutes ago, powderjay said:

Come get it. life is too short,  Im going to spend a little more and find a newer more reliable boat.  Only stipulation is that if you fix it I don't want to hear about it.. capeesh!!

Done deal!  And I get where you are coming from too.  I have a specific purpose for that boat and a team that will fab and wrench on it.  I'll p/m you for details.  I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, but that is going to go to a great home.

• Like 2

1991 Skier.  Getting the engine tuned up helped my vapor lock issue.  Also, I've pulled one of the cup holders in the engine box for added ventilation.  I heard recently from a guy in our ski club that Mastercraft replaced one of his cup holders with a mesh vent on his 2014 Prostar too.

8 minutes ago, P7M89MM said:

I've pulled one of the cup holders in the engine box for added ventilation.

I had a missing cup holder for a while, people kept dropping drinks down it.

• Like 1
Just now, MadMan said:

I had a missing cup holder for a while, people kept dropping drinks down it.

Ha.  I've been trying to find a 3.5" louver to drop on there.  Seems they only come in 3"  and 4".  I did find replacement cup holders so I might try cutting the bottom off and replacing with mesh.

As I search for a used direct drive, I had a conversation yesterday with a guy who used to work for Correct Craft. An old timer who is retired now.  He told me a story about the first PCM GT 40 engines having a problem with vapor lock (1994), the issue being the gas vaporizing in the gas rails above the engine ( I don't know the exact description, sorry).  He said it was solved when PCM added the pressurized fuel cell, to pressurize the fuel.  I had that engine and system on on my 2000 Ski Nautique and I never had an episode of vapor lock.  The pressurized system was added by the 1995 model year and may have made it into some of the boats build late in the year for 1994.  I am going to keep that in mind as I look for a used boat.  This vapor lock thing worries me.

26 minutes ago, P7M89MM said:

1991 Skier.  Getting the engine tuned up helped my vapor lock issue.  Also, I've pulled one of the cup holders in the engine box for added ventilation.  I heard recently from a guy in our ski club that Mastercraft replaced one of his cup holders with a mesh vent on his 2014 Prostar too.

My friends 2016 prostar they removed the cup holder to use as the vent to the added blower to remove heat.

4 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

My friends 2016 prostar they removed the cup holder to use as the vent to the added blower to remove heat.

Folks with an expensive 2016 ProStar should not have to be worrying about this and modifying their boat, crazy.

The last time I thought I had vapor lock I had shredded an impeller due to a crack in the raw water housing. Only time I've experienced vapor lock symptoms in the past 3 years that shutting the boat off for 5 min didn't fix. (The temp gauge showing 200+ was a good indicator it wasn't vapor lock)

I have had had on and off issues. In my case I'd get to ~2100 rpm and boat would fall flat on itself. Knocking sound and it'd drop to idle. Throttle back to idle. Accelerate again. Sometimes it'd be fine. Sometime it'd do the same thing. 5 min with key off and blower running and I'd be good the rest of the afternoon. It's usually on days I've run the boat hard at WOT for a time. 

My Echelon is EFI just for what it's worth. 

already looking at different boats! exciting times!,  may go prostar, who knows?  This boat is being delivered to the new owner on Sunday.  Damn you vapor lock.. damn youuuuu.  

• Like 4

I know right... I hope to find more peace in a new boat..   strand the wife one time and let me know how it works out for you guys!

• Like 2
On 7/25/2016 at 4:51 PM, Michigan boarder said:

You are making an emotional decision.  You can buy another Supra and have a whole host of other problems to deal with and throw money at.  Those are all solid suggestions from people that eliminated the problem, so they are valuable.

However, if you still want to move it, I will come and get that boat for $6k

Do.....what?!!!  

1 hour ago, 85 Barefoot said:

nice work on the offer and purchase!  6k for a 454 echelon?  PM me when you can't fix the VL!

@powderjay put that number down earlier in the thread. I don't think @Michigan boarder would have led with that offer, well not in public anyway. :

On 7/25/2016 at 3:15 PM, powderjay said:

Don't want to prop the top, buy extra blowers and pumps, ect, ect.  ran non ethanol but now that's a problem because the gas station is a 15min boat ride away and I'm afraid I'll have to spend the day there after I fill up!!  My old Supra never did this.. I just want to ski when I want to ski.. Is that too much to ask??   Looking to dump this thing and get into something more reliable. $$$  fire sale on my boat with newer dual axle trailer 6k come get it:Frustrated:

• Like 1