Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Packing gland adjustment

Snrizedstr

Question.

I needed to adjust the packing gland for the prop shaft on my 2012 VLX, it was peeing a nice stream and spraying water while running.

The slowest drip I could achieve was 1 every 5 seconds, even a slight movement of the nut after that was zero drips.

Yesterday...(second day out after adjustment) I thought I would check on it while idling out of the no wake zone and the nut was almost to hot to touch. 

I shut down and checked the drip, 1 every 5 seconds. Once out of the wake zone we sped up and it cooled off. 

The rest of the day it was cool all day whether idling or towing.

Is this normal to be hot on idling out  first time for the day, should I readjust so it is never hot?

This is my first time attempting this so I am paying attention to something I have never done before. I have had my shop do all adjustments, I bought a couple of wrenches from Bake's to give it a try. I have never put my hand down there before while operating, I just looked for drops to make sure the shop did their job so I am not sure how it is supposed to feel other than hot is bad. It baffles me why it ran cool for the rest of the day as well as the day I made the adjustments.

Thanks in advance for the advice.