Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Lake Lice Maintenance - oil question

I debated on posting this for a while, but dare I say that the wife wanted a lake lice so we have acquired one.  I know I know, it's almost as bad or worse than saying I pull my 2 and 6 year old on a TUBE behind my BU.  

Enough of that, I picked up a 2005 Yamaha Waverrunner 4 stroke 3 seater for next to nothing.    I've ridden them a ton, I know the rules and regs and plan to educate any guests that want to ride it. 

I'm familiar with most of the maintenance on it but wanted to ask you fellow crew members who may/may not admit to owning one as well, what's your recommendation on oil?  Yamaha recommends their overpriced Yamalube which I'm not doing.  Anyone run Rotella in their 4 stroke skis?  Thinking T5 synthetic 10W-30 or the Triple T 10W-30.   

Just curious on the crews' opinions other than pull the plug out and sink it. 

1 hour ago, NCVride said:

:rofl:   Thanks for having a sense of humor...I hope we're not that bad, but wish I had some advice for you.

No need to be appologetic about the wave runners. Many here have them. I have 2. Skied yesterday morning, surfed later and had 2 pwc riders jumping our wake at a safe distance. Took our wave runners out later and was jumping a Mastercraft wake - at a safe distance. All great fun.

OK, back to oil, we use good synthetic oil of the right weight and forgo the Yamaha mark up. No issues.

Now back to pwc issues. You'll love Your 3 seater but will want 2 seaters soon - 2 of them. Enjoy.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, NCVride said:

I debated on posting this for a while, but dare I say that the wife wanted a lake lice so we have acquired one.  I know I know, it's almost as bad or worse than saying I pull my 2 and 6 year old on a TUBE behind my BU.  

Enough of that, I picked up a 2005 Yamaha Waverrunner 4 stroke 3 seater for next to nothing.    I've ridden them a ton, I know the rules and regs and plan to educate any guests that want to ride it. 

I'm familiar with most of the maintenance on it but wanted to ask you fellow crew members who may/may not admit to owning one as well, what's your recommendation on oil?  Yamaha recommends their overpriced Yamalube which I'm not doing.  Anyone run Rotella in their 4 stroke skis?  Thinking T5 synthetic 10W-30 or the Triple T 10W-30.   

I have the same Waverunner a (2005 VX110).

These things are basically bulletproof. Yamalube = Castrol according to my friend who was a Yamaha service dept manager / tech.  I run regular dino 10W30 in whatever variation I find on sale. Change oil and filter once a year and the plugs at 100 hours. That is all I have ever done to this thing since it was brand new.

I also have a pdf of the Service Manual if you want it.

Hey you guys help me out here.  Ski ran ok, just didn't seem like it was topping out like it should.  Topped out around 40 and 8,000 rpms.  Pulled the plugs to check them since the oil was a little high after I changed it.

One plug was pristine while the other 3 looked like this.  Keep in mind these plugs only have about 2.5 hours on them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_kKltlh7v2gcnBHSGxWZWdEXzg

Edited by NCVride