Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub help in 16 23 lsv

Ottomatic

I am replacing the horrible factory sub next week. I am leaning towards a Rockford fosgate power series T1D212 with a 1000 watt Rockford amp. The shop is doing a custom sealed fiberglass box. My question is has anyone used this sub, I want something that will hit hard and sound good. My 13 lsv had 2 JL 10s and it was good but I want alt tile more. Thanks for the help!!

+1 for Exile, great product and customer service.  The Xi12 sub hits great, just make sure your shop builds your box to the correct size to match up to the sub.  I believe the Xi12 requires a 1.3 cu ft sealed box.

Or just buy the $60 qbomb box and be done with it.

Edited by Fman
  • Like 2
18 minutes ago, Fman said:

+1 for Exile, great product and customer service.  The Xi12 sub hits great, just make sure your shop builds your box to the correct size to match up to the sub.  I believe the Xi12 requires a 1.3 cu ft sealed box.

Or just buy the $60 qbomb box and be done with it.

What he said ^^*

2FF4E582-EE62-4730-8822-80E9F6E3F48A_zps

D4D75EC8-576C-4105-880F-566B8B884062_zps

I am kinda OCD so I would like all the equipment to match, it's not a must but preferable. I was also considering a wet sounds xxx-xs if the Rockford did not work.

• Like 1

I currently have a kicker 15 in my VLX but have been considering possibly a wet sounds big 12 xxx series in a ported box. Or possibly 2 12s in a sealed box. The 15 just isn't as deep of a thump as I would like. For some reason it just doesn't resonate or feel like it is keeping up with my 6 tower mounted rev 10s. If you decide to do the big 12 I would be interested in hearing what you think of the set up after its installed. 

Let me preface this, the wetsounds/exile stuff is awesome.  

I put Rockford in because it is what the factory uses.  Also sound quality is decent, especially considering the price point.   I am using a P3 15" sub, and P2 12 sub.  It provides way more than I need, actually the little sub knob stays below 50% most of the time.  

With the boat running,  wind noise, all the other boats etc, full on audiophile grade seemed a waste to me.  Granted it needs to sound good, and the Rockford fits that bill.

I use a p500x1 and p300x2 amp 

1 hour ago, Ottomatic said:

I am kinda OCD so I would like all the equipment to match, it's not a must but preferable. I was also considering a wet sounds xxx-xs if the Rockford did not work.

This is the one!

10 hours ago, SURFNUT said:

The 15 just isn't as deep of a thump as I would like.

Thats not the woofers fault and going to a smaller woofer is actually taking a step back in terms of bass extension. Sounds like its not responsive enough for your likes. Again, may not be the woofers fault. 

To the OP. Two woofers of the same size, powered with the same wattage, in the same enclosure type will "hit" just as hard REGARDLESS of brand. There's no secret design that one brand has over another to make their 12" woofer "hit" harder than another. I would concentrate on the build aspects of the woofer first. Look for a woofer that has a rubber surround. Next, look for a woofer that has a 100% composite or synthetic cone. Steer clear of hybrids or laminates. Looks for those using terms like cellulose-based. This means paper or paper pulp with a coating on the front side. This leaves the back of the cone open. Go with a woofer that uses a synthetic spider over cotton. Some other notable features: enclosed magnet over open, composite or aluminum basket over steel. However, a quality woofer will likely have a quality powder coat over a cheap paint. 

Beyond those build qualities, woofer brand is irrelevant in making a woofer "hit" hard. Feed it solid wattage and tune it properly, place it in a proper enclosure and I assure you it will hit.