Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX replace oil : vdrive and transmission

Wakesetter2008

I cannot find a good document how to change vdrive & transmission oil for a VLX 2008 with ZF 45 Hurth.

Just to be sure, which type oil do i need ? Dexron III for both transmission and vdrive ?

Else on this forum i red that some vdrives use (older models) use SAE30

Is there a filter to replace ?

Some goods links will also help

Edited by Wakesetter2008

FWIW, I use an oil extractor. 

My 2006 has the ZF Hurth.  It has stickers near the respective dip sticks indicating "ATF only," and it uses Dexron III or Dexron/Mercon.

I strongly recommend using two 2 liter empty clear plastic soda bottles, a funnel, some oil-absorption rags (available at most any auto parts store), and a Sharpie pen. 

Empty the main transmission using an oil extractor, readjusting the suction tubing until you have removed as much ATF as you can.  Then, pour the contents from the oil extractor, using the funnel, into one of the bottles.  Once it settles, make a mark on the side of the bottle with the Sharpie pen.  Then, make an identical mark on the second bottle and pour your new ATF up to the line.  Again, using the funnel, with the oil rags appropriately placed, pour the new ATF back into the transmission dipstick hole.  This way, you have replaced the exact volume of ATF as you removed.

Next, repeat procedure for the v-drive.  Empty the contents of the extractor this time into the now empty bottle and make a second mark with the Sharpie pen.  This time, pour the old ATF into the second bottle which already contains old ATF from the main unit.  Refill the frist bottle up to the new line with new ATF and then pour that amount back into the v-drive dipstick hole.

Clean up the oil extractor and funnel, mop up any wayward drops, cap the bottles, and you are done.

You can recheck the levels of transmission fluid in both the main and v-drive units after you've taken a short spin, but, using this technique, I've never had to add additional ATF. 

• Like 1

Never heard the matching bottles method, I use a graduated bottle to receive the tranny fluid, then pore in the same amount of fluid.  Anything that allows you to add in exactly what you take out is the idea.  As Srab said there should be some stickers on the transmission as to what fluid.  

4 hours ago, REW said:

Never heard the matching bottles method, I use a graduated bottle to receive the tranny fluid, then pore in the same amount of fluid.  Anything that allows you to add in exactly what you take out is the idea.  As Srab said there should be some stickers on the transmission as to what fluid.  

In a pinch, I can get by with just one bottle and using the Sharpie pen to make both marks.  But, I have to have some place to pour the old ATF until I can discard it anyway.  Having a second 2 liter bottle accomplishes this.

And, full disclosure, I actually have an extractor dedicated for ATF (originally had a 3L Moeller-type extractor for my oil changes, but got tired of having to decant half way through the job to make room for the rest of the oil;  eventually upgraded to the big 6.5L extractor for oil changes, leaving me with the 3L extractor for ATF only).  That way, I don't end up with any 15W-40 in the transmission despite reusing a bottle, but you could easily just use one bottle for new ATF and one bottle for old ATF, each with matching marks, if you were using the same extractor for both motor oil and for ATF and wanted to avoid cross contamination.

I bought this pump on a recommendation from someone else here and love it.  Inexpensive and works!  I use Dexron VI full synthetic (backwards compatible with Dexron III) and the pump makes quick work of it.  For the V-drive I use Amsoil marine gear lube AGMQT-EA.  A little more expensive but a full synthetic with the marine additives is worth it.  The additives that keep foaming down and is more tolerant of water intrusion, but if you're going the cheap route make sure it is non-detergent as per the manual.

6 hours ago, Wakesetter2008 said:

Is there a filter to replace ?

IIRC, there is a screen-type filter that is not easily accessible.  I can tell you that my dealer never touches it, and I don't either.  Those few that have gone through the trouble of removing it have generally reported finding it perfectly clean. 

But, having removed it, you may then have to worry about getting it re-seated with screws torqued appropriately to avoid leakage.  IMHO, if your old tranny fluid looks clear, its probably best to leave it alone.

• Like 2