Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

synthetic engine oil

Im thinking of running synthetic oil in my 325HP Monsoon, but I'm getting different opinions of what weight to use....some recommend 5W/30 others say 10W/30 & then theres the 15W/40?? What do you guys think?

I'm switching to Amsoil 15-40 this weekend. My engine calls for 15-40 anyway. Amsoil makes marine/deisel in 15-40 only IIRC.

I have heard great things of amsoil, at least for bikes. Is anyone else using this? 88 are you adding this to "new" or "old" Do you still have both? I am curious of those using it in the boats that are still warrantied.

I'm changing over on the Sportster. It will have about 285 hours when I get to it. The warranty ran off in May of this year. I will still change at 50 hours.

The Skier runs 10-30 Vavoline dino. It's got about 1,000 hours. It runs great but, I can't see changing it at this point, plus it only goes about 35/hours per year.

I have heard great things of amsoil, at least for bikes. Is anyone else using this? 88 are you adding this to "new" or "old" Do you still have both? I am curious of those using it in the boats that are still warrantied.

It's good stuff. We had a '66 Mustang that we pulled the engine on for a tear down after using Amsoil in it for about a year. The inside looked pristine, I think that it could have gone a lot longer. But you know, we had to port & polish the heads, have a better cam....you know how it is. :lol: If they make the right stuff for the Hammy (which I think they do) I'm going to switch to it when it's time.

• 2 weeks later...

The CI-4 or CI-4+ API rating is the "severe duty" rating for oil - which Indmar recommends. I checked Amsoils website and I did not see they got that rating. I would stick with an oil with a CI-4 rating. Pennzoil Marine has that API number and some other brands.

The CI-4 or CI-4+ API rating is the "severe duty" rating for oil - which Indmar recommends. I checked Amsoils website and I did not see they got that rating. I would stick with an oil with a CI-4 rating. Pennzoil Marine has that API number and some other brands.

Actually the CH or CI or C rating is for diesel engines...... Here is a link that can help: American Petroleum Institute Motor Oil Guide.pdf

BTW, I just switched to Amsoil 15w40 in my Duramax before my trip to Oregon, and I swear it is running better and got better mileage. I averaged 16.1 mpg towing my 247 according to the onboard computer Crazy.gif

Edited by stewart

My 05 Silverado with 5.3 seemed to get 1 mpg better after switching. I switched the Sporty over last weekend. Too early to tell any difference.

Actually the CH or CI or C rating is for diesel engines...... Here is a link that can help: www.burkeoil.com/oilguide.pdf

BTW, I just switched to Amsoil 15w40 in my Duramax before my trip to Oregon, and I swear it is running better and got better mileage. I averaged 16.1 mpg towing my 247 according to the onboard computer Crazy.gif

The Indmar Operating Manual calls for Pennzoil Marine 15-40W, API SL/SJ/CI-4, CH-4, CG-4. The CI-4 designation is the highest of all listed. It is rated "extreme duty". Here's a good description:

CI-4 oil is built with greater wear protection, more thermal stability, improved oxidation control and increased soot-handling capabilities. This combination of factors should offer longer drain intervals and, ultimately, lower operating costs, says Dan Larkin, technical advisor for ExxonMobil. Larkin is intimately familiar with the CI-4 category. Formerly with Detroit Diesel Corporation, he was the chairman of the group that drafted the initial set of oil performance requirements for EGR engines.

You guys can use what you want, but I use a 15-40W oil with the CI-4 designation.

You might want to check this link: American Petroleum Institute Motor Oil Guide.pdf It is a pretty nice piece to donwload and use for future information.

API GUIDELINES TO HELP YOU GET MORE FROM YOUR MOTOR OIL: Use only the recommended API category: “S” for gasoline engines; “C” for diesel engines.

Performance Level:

Gasoline engine oil categories (for cars, vans, and light trucks with gasoline engines):

Oils designed for gasoline-engine service fall under API’s “S” (Service) categories.

Diesel engine oil categories (for heavy-duty trucks and vehicles with diesel engines):

Oils designed for diesel-engine service fall under API’s “C” (Commercial) categories.

Diesel Engines CI-4 Service Category: Introduced in 2002. For high-speed, four-stroke engines designed to meet 2004 exhaust emission standards implemented in 2002. CI-4 oils are formulated to sustain engine durability where exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is used and are intended for use with diesel fuels

ranging in sulfur content up to 0.5% weight. Can be used in place of CD, CE, CF-4, CG-4,

and CH-4 oils. Some CI-4 oils may also qualify for the CI-4 PLUS designation.

CI-4 PLUS: Used in conjunction with API CI-4, the “CI-4 PLUS” designation identifies

oils formulated to provide a higher level of protection against soot-related

viscosity increase and viscosity loss due to shear in diesel engines. Like Energy

Conserving, CI-4 PLUS appears in the lower portion of the API Service Symbol “Donut.”

Secondly, like mentioned before, the HH383 and the 8.1L all require 40w or 50w oil. Try and find a CH or CI rating on this category of oil.......

Third, if you actually call Indmar and speak with a tech like I have, they will tell you the CI rating is a diesel rating and you should more concerned with the "S" ratings which is for gas engines. I posted this information last year........

Fourth, the 15w-40 oil is an oil mostly used in diesel engines and some marine applications. Indmar chose this for its viscosity but is now finding that the higher horsepower engines are requiring a different viscosity. Another interesting item is that the new owners manual even the download from Indmars website are all out of date. No mention of the new 40w requirements.

Fifth, if you check www.amsoil.com you will see that they do have a 15w-40 synthetic that exceeds all of the above ratings.

Me personally, I'm running Amsoil 15w-40 in my Duramax and Valvoline 40w in my BU. Biggrin.gif

Edited by stewart
You might want to check this link: American Petroleum Institute Motor Oil Guide.pdf The API specifically says C is a diesel rating.

Secondly, like mentioned before, the HH383 and the 8.1L all require 40w or 50w oil. Try and find a CH or CI rating on this category of oil. You won't.

Third, if you actually call Indmar and speak with a tech like I have, they will tell you the CI rating is a diesel rating and you should more concerned with the SJ rating which is for gas engines. I posted this information last year........

Fourth, the 15w-40 oil is an oil mostly used in diesel engines and some marine applications. Indmar chose this for its viscosity but is now finding that the higher horsepower engines are requirind a different viscosity. Another interesting item is that the new owners manual even the download from Indmars website are all out of date.

Fifth, if you check www.amsoil.com you will see that they do have a 15w-40 synthetic that exceeds all of the above.

Me personally, I'm running Amsoil 15w-40 in my Duramax and Valvoline 40w in my BU. Biggrin.gif

Good points Stu but AFASIK they still recommend 15w-40 in the monsoon's or have you heard something different?

Stewart - You are correct: the C designation is "diesel", but my point is this: The CI-4 API rating is the highest (actually, there's a CI-4 + but I cannot find it yet) rating for high speed, high rpm engines. It's the toughest oil out there, so that's what I use. The SJ rating is a good rating, but the CI-4 is better. As you know, the viscosity ratings have nothing to do with the API service grades. My manual calls for 15-40W.

Stewart - You are correct: the C designation is "diesel", but my point is this: The CI-4 API rating is the highest (actually, there's a CI-4 + but I cannot find it yet) rating for high speed, high rpm engines. It's the toughest oil out there, so that's what I use. The SJ rating is a good rating, but the CI-4 is better. As you know, the viscosity ratings have nothing to do with the API service grades. My manual calls for 15-40W.

I posted CI-4+ info above.

Tell me where the API ranks "C" oil as higher quality oil than "S" oil? I posted the API.pdf above for your reference.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/API_ratings.pdf

The CI-4 ratings use the words "..for high speed, 4 stroke engines.." The SM/SL ratings do not use those words, thus my leap of faith. Plus, if you go to Pennzoil's website, they say that their Marine Grade "meets or exceeds" the CI-4, and they never even reference the SM/SL rating - that leads me to believe that CI-4 is a "superior" rating.

The CI-4 ratings use the words "..for high speed, 4 stroke engines.." The SM/SL ratings do not use those words, thus my leap of faith. Plus, if you go to Pennzoil's website, they say that their Marine Grade "meets or exceeds" the CI-4, and they never even reference the SM/SL rating - that leads me to believe that CI-4 is a "superior" rating.

Delo 400 Multigrade (Considered on of the best 15w-40 oils available) website makes mention of it as well.....

Product Applications

Mixed fleets pf European, North American and/or Japanese diesel engines (high-speed, four-stroke, turbocharged or naturally aspirated)

• Commercial road transport, including vehicles with the latest electronically-controlled engines and those designed to meet Euro 3 emissions standards

• Commercial road transport, including the latest electronic controlled engines and those designed to meet Euro 3 emissions standards

• Stop-and-go vehicles in high soot loading service such as buses and waste collection trucks

• Off-highway vehicles and plant machinery

• Tractors and farm machinery

• Power generation sets

• Mobile hydraulic systems (where oil type and viscosity are appropriate)

Select Performance Specifications

• API Service Categories, including CI-4, CH-4/SL

• JASO DH-1

• ACEA E5

• Cummins CES 20078 and Volvo VDS-3

• Mack® EO-N Premium Plus

http://www.chevrondelo.com/en/products/engineoil/default.asp

Also, the reason Pennzoil Marine 15w-40 doesn't make mention of the "S" ratings is cuz it is more geared to the "C" rating.... Olus these guys have to pay for the various ratings, so why pay for a "S" rating when you target audinece is a "c" rating consumer :) That is why Amsoil for many years didn't have API ratings...... Didn't want to pay the blood money to API

Edited by stewart

Aha!!!! Delo - another good oil!!!! Well, looks like we are not gonna settle this one!!! Guess us Texans are going to have to cut you California dudes off......Shutting down the TAPS in Alaska didn't do it, so we are going to go down to the basement in our building and turn that big pipleine valve (the one that goes to California...no one else has to worry) to the "OFF" position Crazy.gifCrazy.gif So head out at lunch today and fill up....it'll take a few hours for that pipeline to empty Innocent.gif

Actually you might want to go back there website and re-read the ratings.... The 15w-40 is rated as CI-4/SL :)

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/marine/4cycleHDoil.html