Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tower Powder Coat Color

Joeprunc

New Tower, Black or White Powder Coat?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. I'm putting a tower put on my boat, what color powder coat would you get?

• Black with black wake racks
    • Black with brushed wake racks
    • White with brushed wake racks

I'm putting a tower on my ski boat, I know its a damn shame, but I'm enjoying doing anything on the water, and this will make the boat even more versatile than just a bad a** slalom tug.

So the company that is putting the tower on cannot meet my delivery requirement date before a Lake Shasta trip with a brushed/anodized aluminum finish, so I have the option of Black or White powder coating.

I think the black with black wake racks would look really good, however my boat lives on the water, and does not have any shade.  I think the black powder coating will fade over time, and look like crap.  Yes I can wax it, but I'd rather be skiing.

The other option is white, two of the ski club members have white towers, and they do look pretty good, and I figured white would not fade nearly as quickly.

If you had to put a tower on this boat what color would you go with.

F0C02CE6-B8AD-49A2-B9FC-75956BEA32F7_zps

This is the tower I am going to get....but it will be powder coated

2005%20MALIBU%20BC%20TOWER%20SCWENNE%20B

White tower...not my boat, but my color skeem

95-Sport-Nautique---Samson-Tower.aspx

Or Black

1.jpg

39 minutes ago, Joeprunc said:

I'm putting a tower on my ski boat, I know its a damn shame, but I'm enjoying doing anything on the water, and this will make the boat even more versatile than just a bad a** slalom tug.

1.jpg

Got distracted by this boat right here...those OEM XTP towers are so good looking. Don't even care that they were a Moomba OEM as well.

Functionality alone I'd go with white, just for the sake of putting your hands on it on hot days. Plus your boat has more white on it than that one ^^^ and it should look pretty good on there. That Samson on the Sport Nautique looks pretty good with that white deck.

Edited by jk13
3 minutes ago, jk13 said:

Got distracted by this boat right here...those OEM XTP towers are so good looking. Don't even care that they were a Moomba OEM as well.

Functionality alone I'd go with white, just for the sake of putting your hands on it on hot days. Plus your boat has more white on it than that one ^^^ and it should look pretty good on there. That Samson on the Sport Nautique looks pretty good with that white deck.

Yes that is the tower I wanted, but I've called every Malibu shop asking if they have one laying around, and also XTP to see if they could make me a one off since the TXI is different design than my boat.  The ProFlight "Chubby" tower I getting, I think will look just as good, as they form the lower hoop to match the window line, vs the Skylon swoop.

I did think about heat, we do have 100 degree days quite often.

Also to fight the fading, I've seen over the tower boat covers...this might be something I do either way.

Edited by Joeprunc

I have a black skylon swoop and we have been out on hot days. Seemed to be a non factor to me. The bimini really keeps hands away from it too.    

I personally would wait for the brushed as I really like that look, but your boat has the same primary colors as mine, and I like the black too.   my polished racks look good but am entertaining the thought of plastidipping them to see what black would look like.

I would get the color you prefer and not worry about the heat.  How often are you going to be laying hands on the tower?  I have a Black tower and have never in 10 years burned myself on it or had others complain about it.  As stated above the bimini protects most parts that you would be more likely to come in contact with and the parts under it are cool anyway.  I wish my tower was a matte textured finish though as the shiny smooth finish shows swirls and scratches easier and thus requires a little more care to keep it looking good.

My vote is white with brushed racks.  I have had black towers.  Get's really hot to the touch.  Difficult to keep clean.  Especially notice the bug jerky from trailering.  

2 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

My vote is white with brushed racks.  I have had black towers.  Get's really hot to the touch.  Difficult to keep clean.  Especially notice the bug jerky from trailering.  

I don't trailer more than once a year ;)

ahopkins22LSV

I voted white. The black XTP looks great on that boat because there is black and a lot of color on the top deck, where yours is mostly white. Black bimini would tie it all together and maybe even black racks instead of brushed all though it will all look good.

So with all the white tower votes, I did an impeccable job on MS Paint to show a boat like mine with a white tower.......

modfied%20boat_zpsfnxg51yd.png

But I think this Bu Crew members boat looks amazing!!

D20_7743.jpg

Edited by Joeprunc

I loved the black tower on my Malibu.  And I am the guy who freaks out when someone comes on here and tells me their colored vinyl doesn't get hot.  I did not find it to be an issue, even though I live in 110 degrees with some regularity.  

White would look great on that boat too.  Can't go wrong.  

I voted black.  I get a lot of compliments on my Extreme Tower...great place to mount the bimini.

MyMalibu.jpg

• Like 2

I vote white. If you have bright white gel coat (like you do) it looks sexy as hell! especially with the red. I have cream/black and a black tower and that dang tower is a pain to keep looking good, all the way down to bugs. I wish I could do white but it wouldn't look good with the cream/tan and black 

18 hours ago, Joeprunc said:

So with all the white tower votes, I did an impeccable job on MS Paint to show a boat like mine with a white tower.......

modfied%20boat_zpsfnxg51yd.png

But I think this Bu Crew members boat looks amazing!!

D20_7743.jpg

The White, black and red boat is drop dead sexy. Makes me want to sell mine!

15 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Either white or black will look good but please don't put that decal on the side of your beautiful response! :)

You definitely don't have to worry about that decal going on my boat....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Update:

I was fortunate enough to get my first choice.  Having a boat on the water all the time the brushed aluminum was what I initially wanted.  They expedited fabricating the end caps for the tower so that I could get a brushed finish.  I must say I am quite happy with how it turned out.  Now I'm waiting for clamps and racks to come in from BulletLines.com.

I truly feel like i violated my boat by putting a tower on it.....but I keep telling myself its for the greater good.  ( ordered it so that it was only 6'-0" tall from the floor line, I wanted a sleeker look)

A8AC4A3D-6D88-41BC-B25A-89DA3922135F_zps

CF6EEC4A-543D-47F3-8AAF-5438F01484EE_zps

So I took her out last night after I picked her up.  Skied two sets at 34 mph, then tried out my DIY SuckGate....(three people, wedge, and 350lbs of ballast)

85C64A5E-ED5F-4333-8E24-DE18681DAB4F_zps