Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to tell if Malibu 247 LSV has saltwater package

Workman

Hi, I'm looking at a sweet 2013 247 LSV that has only 45 hours on it.  I'm certain this boat has seen salt water since it was bought in Houston and there are minor signs of pitting on the board racks and minor rust on the trailer.  However, being a newb here, I don't know to tell if it has the saltwater package.  Engine is a Monsoon 409 SS.  Does the SS mean stainless steel or saltwater series?  Is that just how they badged the engine?

Should I be concerned about this boat seeing salt water even though I have service records and its low hours?  I don't plan on putting in salt water...ever...

Thanks!

it would have closed cooling.  So if you follow the raw water intake it should push the water to a heat exchanger after the raw water pump rather than into the block.  Or easier yet, look for a coolant overflow tank with antifreeze in it.

Other than closed cooling I don't think that there was much to malibu's saltwater package in 2013.

Thanks for your help.  Do you know if the SS badging on the 409 monsoon engine is an indication that the engine is closed cooling?  I don't have the boat in my possession at the moment so, can't go out and look at it.  

I do have the hull ID / serial information.  Is there a site where I could look this up?

ss means nothing.  neither does 409, truth be told.  Just that you have the LY6 6.0.  Do you have a pic of the engine.  We could tell in short order whether it's close cooled.

But really -- the indmar salt series motor has very unique exhaust manifolds and if you post a pic of the engine we could seriously be able to tell you in about half a second.

13 hours ago, Workman said:

Hi, I'm looking at a sweet 2013 247 LSV that has only 45 hours on it.  I'm certain this boat has seen salt water since it was bought in Houston and there are minor signs of pitting on the board racks and minor rust on the trailer.  However, being a newb here, I don't know to tell if it has the saltwater package.  Engine is a Monsoon 409 SS.  Does the SS mean stainless steel or saltwater series?  Is that just how they badged the engine?

Should I be concerned about this boat seeing salt water even though I have service records and its low hours?  I don't plan on putting in salt water...ever...

Thanks!

I wouldn't conclude that it has seen salt just due to minor pitting or racks or trailer rust.  In a humid environment like houston that could very easily just be "normal".

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Workman said:

Thanks!

Take lots of photos and post em.  There's plenty of experience here to help you out.  

Just because it is in Houston does not mean that it was in salt water. There are plenty of fresh water rivers here. However, there are plenty of brackish as well, ask what bodies of water the boat has been in.

Wow, you all are awesome!  Thanks so much for all of the replies.  I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and will take pictures.  They have told me it's not a saltwater series, but I'd also like other confirmation.  

I will post some pics tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a link to the listing which has pictures.  Not sure if there are any identifying marks.

http://www.texasmalibu.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?veh=320924&pov=4693261

Thank you again for being so helpful.

• Like 1

Nice looking boat. Yellow floor is pretty cool.

On a positive note I don't see any anodes on the transom--which would have been a sure sign of salt use. Might be hidden or just out of frame, but many times they are bolted between the platform and wedge brackets.

Edited by jk13

I'm definitely partial to blue, but the black/silver and yellow does look good!

There is grey carpet that snaps in over the yellow floor, looks really good when it is all put together.