Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solid beep when under load

So many have seen my thread about my sister buying a boat. I was able to influence them buying a vdrive but in the end they were insistent in buying a regal session. They are now having problems and I'm hoping someone can help.

when under load (surf with full ballast or pulling 3 tubes) there is a solid beep alarm followed by what sounds like a low-speed mechanical "thumping". The thump is a deep bass sound like someone pounding on the hull every 1/2 second.

engine is a mercruiser mag 350.

i don't have a vdrive so I'm hoping maybe someone can help me help my sister...

Mercruisers typically only throw a solid beep for oil pressure,water pressure, or overheat. Not sure that a v drive mercruiser would have a water pressure sensor or not but I know their newer I/os do

Not sure about the noise either. Mercury/mercruiser has solid beeps for more critical type things then they will do a sequence of beeps for other type issues that isn't such a big deal as oil pressure

1 minute ago, jbower said:

Mercruisers typically only throw a solid beep for oil pressure,water pressure, or overheat. Not sure that a v drive mercruiser would have a water pressure sensor or not but I know their newer I/os do

Not sure about the noise either. Mercury/mercruiser has solid beeps for more critical type things then they will do a sequence of beeps for other type issues that isn't such a big deal as oil pressure

Oil pressure was my first concern. Their gauge works and the oil pressure reads normal. I tried to find the oil pressure sender but I can't find it. Mine is just below the filter attached to the fittings that go to the oil pressure bulb. Do you know where that is on a 350 mag merc?

oppsite side of the starter. Unsure if it has an oil cooler or not but if it did it would be right above it. That would be the one for the ecm then the gauge is near the distributor. Does it only beep under load or constant? does it have a smart craft gauge system in it?

Just now, jbower said:

oppsite side of the starter. Unsure if it has an oil cooler or not but if it did it would be right above it. That would be the one for the ecm then the gauge is near the distributor. Does it only beep under load or constant? does it have a smart craft gauge system in it?

I'll take a look for the sender tomorrow.

It is intermittent, but when it does alarm it happens when there is a substantial load. It alarmed yesterday morning while I was surfing but did not alarm for yesterday and today (prob 5-6 hrs of wakeboarding, tubing, and surfing). Then it returned this evening and would not go away.

When it does alarm, and load is removed and you put it back into neutral the alarm will cease. Sometimes it will return while still in neutral without re-applying the load. Other times simply shifting to neutral will stop the alarm.  

I'm not sure what a smart craft gauge system is. Is that the brand of gauges?

It's a Mercury branded digital display that shows a lot of info. Here is a link to mercruiser alarms. Looks like engine temp,oil pressure is about all that will cause a solid alarm  I/os have a drive lube bottle on the engine that will cause an alarm I can't imagine they would have something like that on a vdrive though. http://media.channelblade.com/EProWebsiteMedia/3506/Mercruiser%20warning%20horns.pdf

You'll have to look it up by serial number probably because there is a few options. Just seen on one that transmission over temp can do it also. Might have something to do with it being the boat is loaded heavy and something is making noise

I found the same link last night. I don't think the boat has anything other than std gauges but I'll check again.

if I had a error-check device for a car could I hook it up to the boat?

9 hours ago, jbower said:

I meant to say if it doesn't have a oil cooler it will be right above the filter

16 minutes ago, braindamage said:

if I had a error-check device for a car could I hook it up to the boat?

Nope, the car ones won't work on a boat.

I don't know how the alarm is wired on a Mercruiser, but if it's like Indmar, they are all just tied together.  So, if any off the sensors detect a problem, it just grounds the line, sounding the alarm.  You could just unplug these sensors (oil, temp etc) one at a time and see when the alarm stops.

Depending on year unplugging may not work to well. I know for a fact that if the oil pressure sensor has a fault the ecm has a default pressure that it will read. I had a service call last year stump me and mercruiser until I s*** the engine off with key on and looked at the data and it still read 53psi of oil pressure 

So depending on the year the alarm is triggered by a dedicated circuit and not through the ecm?

also, I looked all around the oil filter and didn't see anything that resembled the sender unit on my indmar.