Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Tires/Rims for 2001 SBT Trailer

Roush611

When I purchased my boat a few months ago the trailer tires are rims were pretty much shot.  My boat is stuck at the delta for this summer as I don't want to foot the bill for tires and bearings at the moment.  I will however be replacing them this winter so we can do a few lake trips next year.  Does anyone have some suggestions for upgrades for tires and rims for that make trailer?  I am thinking of going to LT tire route as our trailer is outside 24/7 at the moment and it seems the LT tires hold up better.  Where is a good place to look for tire and rim packages? Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

17 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

When I purchased my boat a few months ago the trailer tires are rims were pretty much shot.  My boat is stuck at the delta for this summer as I don't want to foot the bill for tires and bearings at the moment.  I will however be replacing them this winter so we can do a few lake trips next year.  Does anyone have some suggestions for upgrades for tires and rims for that make trailer?  I am thinking of going to LT tire route as our trailer is outside 24/7 at the moment and it seems the LT tires hold up better.  Where is a good place to look for tire and rim packages? Thanks in advance for any guidance. 

Going to be tough to find trailer rim/LT tire packages. 

Boatmate sells some rims

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products.php?catId=36&PHPSESSID=210ccfa4817e9acfa94b3ce7a9c43592

And a few with tires - but they are ST tires

http://www.boatmateparts.com/products.php?catId=21&PHPSESSID=210ccfa4817e9acfa94b3ce7a9c43592

Best bet might be to post an ad in the wanted section if you are not real picky and get someone's take-offs as they are putting bling oversized rims on their trailers.

Are you just looking for a stock 14-15" size or looking to upgrade to a nice wheel?

If plus sizing, I recommend 18".  Smaller looks weird and bigger starts looking too big.  Most of the trailer manufacturers on the upgraded wheels go with 18" as well.  If you do that, you WILL need to do fender work to make them clear the tires; no way around it.  I don't miss my 14" wheels; boat looks far better on the trailer with 18" wheels and it tows better too.  

17 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Are you just looking for a stock 14-15" size or looking to upgrade to a nice wheel?

If plus sizing, I recommend 18".  Smaller looks weird and bigger starts looking too big.  Most of the trailer manufacturers on the upgraded wheels go with 18" as well.  If you do that, you WILL need to do fender work to make them clear the tires; no way around it.  I don't miss my 14" wheels; boat looks far better on the trailer with 18" wheels and it tows better too.  

Yes, I should have been more clear.  I am looking to ditch my stock wheels and go with something bigger if it does not get crazy expensive. Otherwise I will just stick with the ugly stock ones. What kind of fender work are we talking about?

12 hours ago, Roush611 said:

Yes, I should have been more clear.  I am looking to ditch my stock wheels and go with something bigger if it does not get crazy expensive. Otherwise I will just stick with the ugly stock ones. What kind of fender work are we talking about?

Depends on the clearance/design of your fenders and trailer.  Does your hull sit between the fenders or over top of them?  If over top, you could just buy a new set of wide fenders, mount them up and be done (you will have to place them on, figure out where the holes need to be and drill them out, but shouldn't be a big deal).

If it fits between, like mine, it is more of a pain.  I had to:
- Drill new mounting holes
- Create wood spacers to widen the fender on the inside edge of each fender then re-carpet (I replaced the inside wood under the carpet at the same time, as it was a bit rotten)
- Adjust, adjust, adjust as the clearance is tight.  Took a while to get it where I needed it to be

Then you have the cost of the wheels.  I really wanted my specific wheels, but only one vendor sold them (EZ Loader, as Boatmate wouldn't sell them).  At $280/each + shipping it was pricey for 5 wheels.  I got extremely lucky and found 4 of them used with new tires - only time I have ever seen these wheels being sold used - but still spent $1200 shipped on them and still had to buy a 5th wheel + tire.  That said, there are other wheels in the $150-$200/each shipped range as well that I was considering.

On July 20, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Nitrousbird said:

and it tows better too.  

I am curious about this statement.  Why do you say this? (I am not questioning your statement, just trying to understand it). 

47 minutes ago, Soon2BV said:

I am curious about this statement.  Why do you say this? (I am not questioning your statement, just trying to understand it). 

Seems to ride smoother and more planted.  It just sticks to the road, no rocking at all (never had a sway issue).  You feel like you can take a corner at whatever speed you want without worry (I wouldn't of course).

• 4 weeks later...

Lots of options on eBay for both wheels and tires.  I bought a set of 4 TowMax tires off eBay in the spring for under $200 bucks, no tax, free shipping.  My buddy has them on his Supra trailer - 5 years of no issues so I decided to give them a try.  Towed over 1000 miles so far this summer and they've been great, look nice, quiet, seem to ride cool in the summer heat.  Very pleased so far.