Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VLX died

Harrisonwakeboat

so this is my second year with my 06 vlx and it has never not started then yesterday we were out tubing and wakeboarding and we were going just around in a dounot and then the egnine shut off the ingntion turned off and when i tried to restat it nothing fired so my buddies swam to a yacht a bay over and got the guy to give us a tow i put more gas in and she fired right up and so perodiclly i try to fire it up sine yesterday and the only other time it did not fire was last night and now i leave in two days so thats when my season ends and i was just wondering if any body knows if there is a fix to it. PS i can here the fuel pump when i turn the key

More specifics?  Does it crank?  Did you run out of gas?  Safety switch/lanyard in place and functioning?  If it just shut off suddenly and completely, I would check the safety switch first, then look for loose or corroded electrical connections in the engine compartment and ignition switch.  Where are you?

it would crank but did not start until i got to the dock and it did not run out because there is 3/4 of the gas tank. also the lanyard was in place and functioning. right now i am in kawartha lakes in canada but we live in the outscurts of atlanta GA

From the little info you've posted it sounds like a bad safety switch.  Try bypassing it. 

If that doesn't work start inspecting wiring connections and grounds.

Funny, I was stuck in Chicago O'Hare Monday and ended up at the bar chatting with a woman from Barrie.

Although doesn't the lanyard switch kill the fuel pump?  He said he can hear it.

I'd pull a plug and check for spark, if you have spark then I'd suspect clogged fuel filter.  No spark and I'd be checking the cap and rotor

Edited by oldjeep
24 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

From the little info you've posted it sounds like a bad safety switch.  Try bypassing it. 

Funny, I was stuck in Chicago O'Hare Monday and ended up at the bar chatting with a woman from Barrie.

really thats funny and also me and my buddies r flying from Toronto to Chicago

9 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Although doesn't the lanyard switch kill the fuel pump?  He said he can hear it.

I'd pull a plug and check for spark, if you have spark then I'd suspect clogged fuel filter.  No spark and I'd be checking the cap and rotor

also where are the fuel filiters located and also when we bought the boat last year and they had them replaced and it was less then 70 hours ago 

There is a question inside this thread about a 2006 VLX that says "Your filter is to the left of the Vdrive under the center rear seat. You can get a Napa 3299 filter of WIX 33299 as a replacement. You defiantly have a external filter."

38 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Hopefully you were not using one of those folding cots I had to maneuver around in terminal 3 Tuesday early AM

I have a 2013 monsoon 350 with what I think is the Gen 3 fuel pump. It also has an inline filter to the left of the vdrive. This topic makes it seem like it should be either or. Maybe my boat is unusal?

4 minutes ago, Technicallyabu said:

I have a 2013 monsoon 350 with what I think is the Gen 3 fuel pump. It also has an inline filter to the left of the vdrive. This topic makes it seem like it should be either or. Maybe my boat is unusal?

Weird, I didn't think any of the newer boats had anything but a sock on the fuel pump.  My fuel line goes straight from the in tank pump to the fuel rails.

Edited by oldjeep
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Good idea to check for spark.  Not sure about safety switch and pump - but it for sure kills the ignition.

Re the filter, I don't think a clogged filter would result in a sudden engine stop of an engine that was running normally a few second before.  My first step would be to get access to the back of the safety switch and bypass it.

so i talked to my buddies dad who is really good with engines and he thought we got some air into the lines when doing the sharp turnes while tubing and thats why when i opened up the gas tank to fill it up if fixed the problem the only thing is it still does not salve our plroblem of why it did not start late last night

4 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Re the filter, I don't think a clogged filter would result in a sudden engine stop of an engine that was running normally a few second before. 

Yeah, when I wrote that I was thinking of the type of filter my inlaws LXI has which is a water separating filter not the 33299 Wix style that is just a particulate filter.  The water separating filters shut your engine off like a switch when they are completely full of water.

18 minutes ago, Harrisonwakeboat said:

okay so should i try venturing off the dock and see what happens

Did you change anything?  Does it start?  Sure, but take a paddle :salute:

On 7/20/2016 at 1:59 PM, Harrisonwakeboat said:

no but its been starting everytime today and i will have my friend run next to use in my little aluminum boat

I'd definitely replace the fuel filter even if it was only 70 hours ago that it was replaced.  It's an easy thing to replace and a good first spot to begin troubleshooting.  5 minute swap if that.  Clogged or dirty fuel filters can make engines do funny things.   If the filter is clogged, then when you stop for a while or take the gas cap off and add more fuel it can cause the particles clogging the filter to dislodge for a bit.  Then after running a while it may get clogged again.

I had issues like yours last summer.  Boat would stutter, not start after running for a while, then after sitting for a while it would start right up and run for a while then start the problems again.   Replace your filter man.

Edited by NCVride
On 7/20/2016 at 7:08 AM, Harrisonwakeboat said:

so this is my second year with my 06 vlx and it has never not started then yesterday we were out tubing and wakeboarding and we were going just around in a dounot and then the egnine shut off the ingntion turned off and when i tried to restat it nothing fired so my buddies swam to a yacht a bay over and got the guy to give us a tow i put more gas in and she fired right up and so perodiclly i try to fire it up sine yesterday and the only other time it did not fire was last night and now i leave in two days so thats when my season ends and i was just wondering if any body knows if there is a fix to it. PS i can here the fuel pump when i turn the key

Stop pulling tubes or at least admitting to it.