Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My rear toe piece tore this morning

Chef23

I was coming out of 4 at 28 off this morning and was in good shape for once when my rear foot slipped a little at the beginning of the pull. I didn't get to 5 in time which pissed me off because I was early at 4 and I haven't made 28 off since I was 25 (I took a 14 year hiatus from skiing).

So the question is I have a Wiley's rear boot should I throw it on and see if I can ski with it. I don't have another short term solution so I may do that. I am going to order a new rtp anyway but there is nowhere I can get one immediately and I was planning to ski Sat & Sun this weekend. Mad.gif

I always carry a spare RTP piece just for this reason. I can go seasons without ripping one then rip a couple in a month. Depending on how bad the rip is, you can take the binding apart, pull the toe piece rubber even tighter, make new holes and get it to work in the short term.

worst case, try the rear boot

I always carry a spare RTP piece just for this reason. I can go seasons without ripping one then rip a couple in a month. Depending on how bad the rip is, you can take the binding apart, pull the toe piece rubber even tighter, make new holes and get it to work in the short term.

worst case, try the rear boot

I may try that route. The rubber is ripped completely across right above where it screws into the binding. I might be able to punch new holes and still use it because it is adjustable.

This happened to me this week. Plenty of extra rubber to just drill new holes.

I did just that and just put the ski back together. I would try going to double boots but I am going to make some changes to my fin at the recommendation of Paul Crawford at D3 and want to isolate the changes I make. Once I get the fin dialed in I may try the double boots.

Go Double Boot !

Screw the RTP.... and use the boot.

Other than getting up on the ski there is no reason to use the RTP.

You have way better control and support with the rear boot.

Just learning how to get up will be your only problem.

It's all in the angle of the ski, keep your back foot up to your butt.

It's a hard start but worth it once your up...

John