Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mission Surfside Set-up for VTX

Badgerfb5

We purchased the original Mission Surfside panel for my 2009 VTX in late 2015 (too late for the season) and I've been struggling all summer to get enough push from the wave to surf.  We started with Mission's advice:

Weight the boat evenly left to right with 60% in the back and 40% in the front. More ballast in the back increases the height and more in the front increases the length. 

With a decently weighted v-drive, start at 10mph and work your way up. Slower speeds generate more height and faster speeds generate more length (at the expense of height). You should settle in around 11.2mph but that all depends on the length, hull shape, ballast, passenger weight, and your preference. Do not exceed 13mph to keep pressure on the platform low.

Generally we don't recommend using the wedge since it seems to create more turbulence that disrupts the shape of the wave. Some of our users with power wedges have noted that they have good results with it halfway down. Give it a shot and see what you prefer.

From there, we have varied the speed, varied the weight in the front/rear ballast tanks (haven't loaded the center tank) and tried the wedge.  Our board is a Phase5 Oogle.  Our VTX has a diamond hull and bow ballast.  I'm 6'1" and 210.  My daughter is 5-5 and 125.  Neither of us is able to get ample push. 

Thoughts?

I built my own gate that is similar to the Mission Surfside and it has worked great.  I am running a 2012 VTX.  I cannot get above 10.2 to get the push required.  Although my setup is different than what they suggest.  I have 750 plug and play on top of the stock tanks in the rear.  I fill both stock and the plug and play.  The plug and play probably is holding around 500lbs.  Then I fill the bow and center tanks all the way.  It has decent push but compared to a VLX its not stellar.  Adding some bow weight does help.  But the concern is the VTX already sits pretty low in the water already.  I have played with both the wedge all the way up and pretty much all positions .  Currently we run all the way down. 

For reference I am 6' 235lbs.  My wife and kids get a ton of push and can surf without the ballast full.

Let us know what you find out.

Trent

20150808_202908_1.jpg

20150808_202901_1.jpg

Edited by Malibuzer

What size Phase5 Oogle?  My 200# son-in-law had trouble until we got a 64 inch Liquid Force Rocket for him.  My daughter (120#) and I (155#) do very well on a much smaller Hyperlite Shim.  It all depends on weight, skill, and how much push you can put into the turns.  If you ride the board flat there is usually a nice size "sweet spot" where you can just stand and glide but that takes some time to figure out.

Fill the center ballast too.

On July 19, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Malibuzer said:

I built my own gate that is similar to the Mission Surfside and it has worked great.  I am running a 2012 VTX.  I cannot get above 10.2 to get the push required.  Although my setup is different than what they suggest.  I have 750 plug and play on top of the stock tanks in the rear.  I fill both stock and the plug and play.  The plug and play probably is holding around 500lbs.  Then I fill the bow and center tanks all the way.  It has decent push but compared to a VLX its not stellar.  Adding some bow weight does help.  But the concern is the VTX already sits pretty low in the water already.  I have played with both the wedge all the way up and pretty much all positions .  Currently we run all the way down. 

For reference I am 6' 235lbs.  My wife and kids get a ton of push and can surf without the ballast full.

Let us know what you find out.

Trent

20150808_202908_1.jpg

20150808_202901_1.jpg

Nice setup. You have any more pics of your setup? Can you run it on either side?

I can take more pictures tomorrow.   Boat is getting repairs right now but the gate is at home.  It only works on one side.  Our starboard wake is much better stock than the port side is.