Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plug Wire replacement options?

chris4x4gill2

32 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

But hey, my first set lasted a llllllllllllooooooong time. Figured $120, compared to everything else I bought for this pig so far this year, was pennies.

I know we are talking about a every ten year or so expense, but If I can upgrade for cheaper......

18 minutes ago, jgates237 said:

So, what's the verdict on the wires? Any recommendations?

So far all of the pre-assembled kits I have found look like they are going to be too short. Seems that the trucks usually go over the valve covers instead of underneath like the boats are routed. I found a set of cut to fit Morose 8mm spiral cores for about $75 so I may go with those.

On the Cap/rotor, Part # 8M0061335, I can get it from Bakes for $80, or a Mercruiser shop or the local parts store (marine version) for $45.

On Spark Plugs, Bakes is $80 for a set of AC-Delco 41-993 platinums, and my parts guy is $45 for the same.

On the wires, we are at $112 for the Indamar wires that are alraeady assembled to length, or $75 for the Moroso's that I have to assemble. My buddy is trying to find his ratcheting wire crimper so I can borrow it, if I cant, then add another $20 if I buy one - that makes the Indmars only about $10 more then.

@chris4x4gill2:  I have found several universal kits, Accel / Summitt / Taylor as an example, that have a crimper tool included, all you need is a vise.  Under header wires should be fairly common or available through a good performance shop or mail order place like Summit / Jegs. etc.

• Like 2

@Woodski  Yes, the kit has a crimper included, but I've had much better luck in the past with the better tool. Plus, I don't have a vice at the boat. I would have to cut to length and then bring them home to crimp. Summit was where I found the kit I mentioned. Speaking with their tech help line, that was one of a few options he gave me that he was sure had enough length.  Do you remember what kit you used? I was looking at the  8.2mm Taylors or the 8mm Spiro-Pro's. I figured they would be plenty long, but couldn't confirm through the tech line.

@chris4x4gill2:  Accel 4041B is the set I use on my application.  My engine marinizer is Mercruiser so the distributor cap ends supplied in the kit fit that cap fine, both ends are 90 terminals.  I don't recall if a crimper tool was included in that set as it was not an issue when I ordered them.  To your note on no vice, a large set of channel lock pliers could provide the squeeze needed as a substitute, not ideal but usable, or you could simply take a vice with you.

Edited by Woodski

The distributor being the flat top and the wires using male ends was what seemed to be limiting the choices on the kits. The dist end is already assembled and the plug ends would need to be crimped.

And good point on the vice..... i need one down there anyway. I will search through the barn....might have one i can take