Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plug Wire replacement options?

chris4x4gill2

Has anyone had luck finding an aftermarket replacement set of Spark Plug wires for the Monsoon 340? I am looking for ones that come pre-assembled and are the correct - or close to it - length rather than the build to length variety.

$120 for a set of 8mm wires from Indmar seems pretty steep to me.

Just now, blk93jeepzj said:

That is not the set Bakes recommended for my boat - They showed Part # 751106 for $112.99.

The difference is for the HSV flat top distributor. I don't know why that would raise the price so much though, the only difference is the plug boots on the distributor side are straight, not 90deg.

Sorry about that I assumed the 04-05-06 were the same sets of wires.  

Seems really steep for that set of wires if the only difference are the ends.

I bought these ones a few weeks ago to fix a cylinder misfire.  HVS wires are expensive

https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=843

You can just use plug wires from any HVS equipped 5.0/5.7 non LS motor (late 90's trucks) for about 1/2 the price at O'reilly but I couldn't get real clear specs on the stock wires and wasn't willing to risk problems to save $60.  The indmar wires come all numbered with wire separators too which is nice

1999 Tahoe with base 5.7L engine will show you what I'm talking about

Edited by oldjeep
Just now, oldjeep said:

I bought these ones a few weeks ago to fix a cylinder misfire. 

You can just use plug wires from any HVS equipped 5.0/5.7 non LS motor (late 90's trucks) for about 1/2 the price at O'reilly but I couldn't get real clear specs on the stock wires and wasn't willing to risk problems to save $60

That's kinda where I'm at. From what I can tell, the Indmar unit is just a standard 8mm wire - probably a custom length ? Just couldn't see where they are justifying double the cost of a similar set

3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I bought these ones a few weeks ago to fix a cylinder misfire.  HVS wires are expensive

You can just use plug wires from any HVS equipped 5.0/5.7 non LS motor (late 90's trucks) for about 1/2 the price at O'reilly but I couldn't get real clear specs on the stock wires and wasn't willing to risk problems to save $60.  The indmar wires come all numbered with wire separators too which is nice

I got my wires from a 1999 1500 PU all wires fit BUT the center coil wire. that will be short, like way short. 

3 minutes ago, airshark360 said:

I got my wires from a 1999 1500 PU all wires fit BUT the center coil wire. that will be short, like way short. 

what did you do for the coil wire repalcement?

14 minutes ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

That's kinda where I'm at. From what I can tell, the Indmar unit is just a standard 8mm wire - probably a custom length ? Just couldn't see where they are justifying double the cost of a similar set

I'd expect that the plug wires would all be the correct length since the distributor is in a fixed location regardless of the application.  You get the numbered wires and the looms on the Indmar stuff, but could just re-use the looms from your old wires.

@chris4x4gill2:  mail order options would include places like Summitt Racing / Jegs, or you can find wire sets at marine mail order places like Michigan Motorz (excellent place) / iboats / wholesale marine.  If you have Perfect Pass make sure you get resistor wires, the display hates solid core wires.

I sucked it up and paid the piper. The extra cash may not have been fully worth it, but having the exact length, and having each one marked for it's particular cylinder, was pretty handy.

Made swapping them out fast. Yanked the wires all at once, tossed the new ones on there all at once, and *boom* - done.

The cap was a different story. It's kind of a pita. lol (but you CAN do it without taking the intake mani off)

22 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

The cap was a different story. It's kind of a pita. lol (but you CAN do it without taking the intake mani off)

Not in my boat ;)  And you can't even really take the plenum cover all the way off without doing some other disassembly of either the throttle body or the remote oil filter, but you can at least unbolt it and push it far enough out of the way to get the cap off.

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Buffett said:

Discount Inboard Marine has them.  Seem to be better quality than what came on the boat.  I think mine was $58. http://www.skidim.com

2005 and older use the inexpensive wires ;)  Delco ignition not HVS like the 2006+ boats

Skidim does have a set of crappy 7mm PCM HVS wires for $80

http://www.skidim.com/PLUG-WIRE-SET-50-57-MPI/productinfo/RK120018/

Or Indmar for $109

http://www.skidim.com/WIRE-SET-INDMAR-57L-HVS/productinfo/75-1106/

The Indmar wires at Bakes are about $101 after the crew discount (assuming you are a paying member)

Edited by oldjeep

Mine was tough, but if I took the ski pole out entirely, then used a long extension to get to the back hex bolt, then turned the cap like a chinese puzzle, I was able to get mine out, then back in

The Indmar plug wires for my motor were $190 when I priced them out in 2011.  They were junk too.

Indmar went from a coil near plug setup on a stock LS1 and did a coil relocation bracket on the back of the motor, so automotive LSx wires won't work.  I ended up doing a Jegs 8.5mm cut-to-fit wire.  That plus the proper compression tool and I made a whole new set that is a much higher quality plug than the Indmar junk for 1/3 the price.  It was fairly simple, didn't take long, and did it in my dining room (no AC in the garage).

The new Indmars do not have the numbers on them. On mine the coil is right beside the distributor. Really not seeing why the Indmars are zo exspensive. Arent they just rebranded Taylors?

8 minutes ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

The new Indmars do not have the numbers on them. On mine the coil is right beside the distributor. Really not seeing why the Indmars are zo exspensive. Arent they just rebranded Taylors?

What new Indmars don't have the numbers on them?  Both the factory wires and the wires I bought from Bakes a couple weeks ago were numbered.

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

What new Indmars don't have the numbers on them?  Both the factory wires and the wires I bought from Bakes a couple weeks ago were numbered.

Maybe i misunderstood then. The Bakes listing says the Blue wires, with numbers, are no longer available and lists the black as replacement. The photo does not show them being numbered so I assumed they no longer were. 

21 hours ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

The ones I got from Bake's three months ago did?

17 hours ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

Maybe i misunderstood then. The Bakes listing says the Blue wires, with numbers, are no longer available and lists the black as replacement. The photo does not show them being numbered so I assumed they no longer were. 

Ah, should've read further. 

Yes, they're black - but they still have numbers.

No idea why they're so expensive, other than... because boat.

12 hours ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

Exactly!

But hey, my first set lasted a llllllllllllooooooong time. Figured $120, compared to everything else I bought for this pig so far this year, was pennies.

On 7/19/2016 at 3:23 PM, oldjeep said:

Not in my boat ;)  And you can't even really take the plenum cover all the way off without doing some other disassembly of either the throttle body or the remote oil filter, but you can at least unbolt it and push it far enough out of the way to get the cap off.

Replaced my rotor and cap yesterday and had the plenum only part way off to get to the cap and rotor screws. Having the intake open and pulling small screws gave me the heebie-geebies so I put a towel over it to keep anything from finding its way in. Boat idles way better than before which makes sense after looking at how corroded the original cap was.

So, what's the verdict on the wires? Any recommendations?