Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking, unsuccessfully, for factory swivel mount for Illusion X tower… FRUSTRATED

ibelonginprison

I have four factory Metcraft racks on my Illusion X tower on my ’06 23LSV. Are they the greatest? No. But they work fine, and more importantly they all match. My top two racks swivel, my bottom two racks are fixed. My marina keeps banging my port side surf rack against the pole when they pull the boat out. Third time in two years. They offer to cover it each time, but that’s not even the issue - I’m at a point where I’ve already gone one size larger with the holes… if they do it again, I’m probably going to have to buy a whole new rack… that doesn’t match the other three. And that would bug the motherloving snot out of me. So I’m at a place in my boat ownership life that swivel racks have become not just convenient, but important.

I can’t seem to find anyone that makes a swivel that will work with these Metcraft racks, and I can’t seem to find anyone that’s willing to part with theirs.  I swear, my kingdom for a swivel that works with these factory racks. >_<

Ok, rant over. But - ff you guys know of someone that has swivel racks that NEVER use the swivel feature, and could maybe be bribed to sell theirs, or trade theirs plus some cash (especially if they are selling their boat! They can even keep their own forks!) pleeeeeeease beg them to sell them to me.

Cut the poles down a bit? That's what I did after the rack hit the pole on our floating dock - for the second time.  :( And it's a swivel rack. Just forgot to use the swivel.

2 minutes ago, mikeo said:

I assume you've called Metcraft and asked them about the racks at this point:
Metcraft Enterprises, Inc.
Tel. 818-362-6430
Fax. 818-362-6435
[email protected]

Which rack are you looking for? Pictures are here:
http://metcraftent.com/racks.html

It's my understanding that Metcraft went out of business. Copyright on that site is from 2007, and the phone never does anything but ring.
And the surf rack I have isn't listed there, but the base does look just like what you linked to. 

9 minutes ago, JeffK said:

I would try Scott at Star One.  He probably has something for you

I have spoken with them. 

You can buy a rack from them, and the forks fit the base, but you have to drill and tap a screw or bolt into the forks to attach the bungee. (The star one racks have a double bungee that comes over the top and attaches to the base, vs the metcraft ones have a single bungee for each side and attach to each fork) And if I remember correctly when I spoke with them, their swivel doesn't fit the metcraft base.

10 minutes ago, mikeo said:

@ibelonginprison I might know where some stuff is, but it's a long shot. If you can send me a picture of the rack & base that you're looking for I can forward it on to see if there is something...

The base looked just like this: http://metcraftent.com/racks.html

And I have one of the surf forks at home since I had to repair it. I'll take a picture of it and shoot you the photo. Appreciate any help you can lend! 

• 3 weeks later...

@ibelonginprison I might have found your racks (based on another member's post). Search for "SMB6168102" here: http://www.malibumarine.com/gear_accessories/towers_racks_mirrors

If nothing else, troll through all the listings on that page. I see a few things that say "Illusion X" when I look... (STWASBRSPU also looks promising)

On 8/7/2016 at 1:13 AM, mikeo said:

@ibelonginprison I might have found your racks (based on another member's post). Search for "SMB6168102" here: http://www.malibumarine.com/gear_accessories/towers_racks_mirrors

If nothing else, troll through all the listings on that page. I see a few things that say "Illusion X" when I look... (STWASBRSPU also looks promising)

Almost, but not quite. That's definitely a good place to call though, I think and see what they say.

I'm looking for the Metcraft ones. I'll take a pic and post it.

Started having issues with my OTHER port side swivel rack this past week. It's getting hung up, I don't know if it's a bearing going bad or not. 

Seems like I heard that the owner of Metcraft went to work at XTP. Might be worth a call to find out if he is there & if he can help.   http://www.xtremetowers.com/

If you swiveled all your racks in whenever you checked in the boat, would they still be able to hit the pole?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky