Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Ford 6.2L first fluid changes

Finding exactly what the manual calls for has proven to be more difficult than I thought.

Engine oil - manual calls for synthetic blend 5W-30 with SN API designation.  I picked up fully synthetic Mobil 1 5W-30 meeting SN rating to use.    Most of the syn blends were 10W-30 or the 5W-30 oils didn't carry SN ratings, only the older SL rating.   Also, most of the SN ratings seemed to be the "high mileage" oils. I guess that doesn't matter as long as they meet SN as called for.   

I think I have the Indmar transmission and v-drive in the 2016 LSV.  Tranny just call for "Dex/Merc" per the manual.   I picked up Valvoline fully synthetic Dex-IV, which says it meets all Dex-III ratings, but no mention of Merc.  I assume I'm okay here.  Any concerns since it didn't specifically state 'Merc" on it? 

V-Drive is Mobil Delvan Synthetic 50 per the manual.  O'Reilly's had nothing for this surprisingly, so I still need to pick some up. 

I picked up all my fluids and filters from Bakesonline.com and got the same 5W-30 full synthetic from Walmart (by far the cheapest source in my area).  

edit:  The filter that Bakes sent is a volvo filter, not indmar branded

Edited by pauley71

Dex/Merc is just the old pre dextron IV fluid.  Dex/Merc is typically a whole lot cheaper than Dex IV since they don't have to license to dextron name any more, but if you are only buying a quart it doesn't matter much.  The Delvac can be had online (Amazon/Walmart)  but I don't know if they sell it in quarts or just gallons.

Edited by oldjeep

Hey @pauley71, sorry to bug you on this as I'm not near my boat - the linked manual in the resources here shows 6 quarts of engine oil required.  You mention your manual shows 8 and I saw a post on Tige Owners from Larry at Indmar stating there was an error in the Raptor manual and it was corrected in 2016 to show 8 quarts.   Just wanted to confirm you indeed needed 8 quarts.   Also, if your manual shows the 8 quarts, we may need to figure out how to get it posted in the resources section as it is a later version than what TMC has. 

I just checked Indmar's site which is where I was looking for my info and it indeed says 6 quarts (5.7 liters), so clearly not right.  I got ~7.5 out of mine during the break in oil change.  I'm about to do my 50 hour change, although the 50 should really be 65 or so but I'll follow the reminders (round numbers).  I really have noticed any oil consumption though.

Edited by pauley71

Thanks.   The manuals aren't the greatest, which actually seems to be par for the course in the marine industry.  Just for reference, below is the post where Larry chimed in.  I plan to tackle this Friday or Saturday, so guess I'll find out for sure then - of course, I have 6 quarts of oil waiting at home, so guess I may need to pick up 2 more.  

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?24826-Is-there-a-how-to-on-oil-change-for-Raptor-engine-Z3

Just now, hethj7 said:

Thanks.   The manuals aren't the greatest, which actually seems to be par for the course in the marine industry.  Just for reference, below is the post where Larry chimed in.  I plan to tackle this Friday or Saturday, so guess I'll find out for sure then - of course, I have 6 quarts of oil waiting at home, so guess I may need to pick up 2 more.  

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?24826-Is-there-a-how-to-on-oil-change-for-Raptor-engine-Z3

I went and got my hard copy manual and the same table in the manual states 8 quarts (7.6 L).  

So go figure, the printed version is right but the online copy is not (seems backwards).

Thanks, I'm traveling for work this week so couldn't get to mine.  

@Malibudude I'm not sure if you or someone else does the resources section here, but perhaps you could request a new electronic version from Indmar to put on TMC (and let them know their own site isn't current :)).