Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do I extend the sweet spot of the wave?

rgedds

I am completely new to the boating world, never owned a boat but tried wake surfing one time and now I'm hooked. I bought a 2008, 23 LSV last month and have been surfing as much as possible since. The whole crew is pretty much goofy so we've been messing around with different ballast configurations. I seem to have a nice clean wave with decent height but we are lacking in wave length. The margin of error is so small.....it's way too easy to get washed out the back of the wave. We bought a Ronix 8.3 wake shaper and that has helped but not as much as I was hoping.

If you could provide some details about how you have your ballast set up for both the goofy and regular side, what speed your running, and any other tips to get that wave looking it's best would be much appreciated!!

You're best bet would be to start by telling us how you are currently setting up the boat. Ballasts? Speed? Wedge Position? # of People? Generally more speed and/or more bow weight will lengthen the wave. But depending on how you go about things, you may end up sacrificing height for length.

So here is my current configuration. We are all goofy so I fill all the stock ballast tanks except for the rear left. We fill a 900lb fat sack in the rear right locker, wedge all the way down, going approx. 10.8MPH up to 11MPH. I have other fat sacks but haven't really used them much. I have the Ronix Wake shaper 8.3 on the port side as well. We've tried other stuff but I'm so new to everything that I really don't totally know what I'm doing so we don't have a true system. The wave we have currently have has decent volume but you've got to stay really close to the boat to stay in the sweet spot, when we try to stretch the wave out it seems to lose the push required to stay in the pocket.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

You need more bow weight.  Rear weight is good, wakeshaper helps, speed sounds good.  You simply need more weight up front, that will lengthen the pocket.

Never used wake shaper but with surf gate and wedge combo middle weight helps a lot, right on top of stock mid / walkway.  Surf device assist waves, shape a little different than traditional listed.  

From your description it sounds like you should have a pretty decent wave as is.   Pictures would help... there's lots of waveologists on this site that could help (much more than me).... but pics get the conversation more lively. 

39 minutes ago, rgedds said:

So here is my current configuration. We are all goofy so I fill all the stock ballast tanks except for the rear left. We fill a 900lb fat sack in the rear right locker, wedge all the way down, going approx. 10.8MPH up to 11MPH. I have other fat sacks but haven't really used them much. I have the Ronix Wake shaper 8.3 on the port side as well. We've tried other stuff but I'm so new to everything that I really don't totally know what I'm doing so we don't have a true system. The wave we have currently have has decent volume but you've got to stay really close to the boat to stay in the sweet spot, when we try to stretch the wave out it seems to lose the push required to stay in the pocket.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

With the wake shaper you might try more evenly weighting the back end in addition to bow weight.  Try filling the left hard tank and only half fill your 900 and put a couple adults in the bow.  We run 750 x 2 in the rear, 600 mid, and 350 front with wedge and surf gate and get a nice wave - as long as we keep at least one full size person in the bow.  Wake can also be tuned by having other people move about the cabin.  Putting 1100's in this weekend and will try 2 adults in the bow to see if we can get the wave to the next level.

Board and skill also make a difference. :biggrin:

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

With the wake shaper you might try more evenly weighting the back end in addition to bow weight.  Try filling the left hard tank and only half fill your 900 and put a couple adults in the bow.  We run 750 x 2 in the rear, 600 mid, and 350 front with wedge and surf gate and get a nice wave - as long as we keep at least one full size person in the bow.  Wake can also be tuned by having other people move about the cabin.  Putting 1100's in this weekend and will try 2 adults in the bow to see if we can get the wave to the next level.

Board and skill also make a difference. :biggrin:

I'll get the boat out next week and take some photos for you guys to look at. Thanks so much the input. I would have to agree with you.......the skill level isn't quite what it could be. I'm working on that. I'm just obsessed with getting this wave just right. I've got serious wave envy!!!!

Try running No Wedge (Fully Stowed) and see if you notice a difference. I can't speak for your LSV but I know that any wedge will shorten the pocket with my MXZ. It can get me a steeper and taller wave, but it shortens the pocket. For me the difference between wedge all the way down and stowed is noticeable for sure. Again that's just my experience with a different hull. Might be worth a try though.

Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fhh533%2FISo this is the set up we run so far and really like the length and push it has. Full MLS (have 4 tanks), both 750 plug and play in the rear lockers filled, 500 lbs fat sac in bow, 500 lbs fat sac on rear seat of the side being surfed, homemade surf gate on opposite side, no wedge seems to lengthen the pocket. We run between 10.8 to11.2 on regular side and goofy side is good at11.4. Move people to the back and side you surf, even a small 110 person can change the wave shape. The depth of the water can also effect your wave a bunch aka deeper is better. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Chatty21VLX said:

@Idaorr that board in the front looks pretty massive. What model and length is it, and what is the rider's size? 

It's an inland surfer red rocket. It's a big board but fun to ride. The guy riding it there is 5'9" probably 190, but the board can handle a lot more weight,or less.(see surfing videos, big guys one 300 plus and can spin it.) just picked up a blue lake and it is faster down the line and seems a little quicker to respond.

• 4 months later...

After messing with bags, a home made fixed surf gate knock off and now a home built suck gate I think I pretty much have it dialed in "for me" as a goofy surfer.  Of course YRMV based on the amount of stuff and peeps and the placement of it in the boat. 350 Monsoon with a 1235 running @ 3250 rpm fully loaded with fuel. 1100lbs starboard (r) rear locker = 900lbs realistically, 750 lbs bow "full", 4 full MLS, 45qt cooler in the walk through @45lbs I imagine. Suck gate with a 8"x10" plate port side as far back as the hull will permit and the port rear locker has about @75lbs in box and naval anchors and the tool box and OEM table. I typically run the wedge up 2 clicks from fully lowered and very seldom on max wedge. With this set up I am surfing the boat board a 5'11" HL Landlock (log) for the newbs and my 6'2" Brewer, which is a blast with this set up! I am running the wedge either neutral or up 1 click max if I am on my P5 Trident Carbon Pro (skim) or it has too much lip. The lip is probably the biggest complaint for the newer riders, especially when they drop into the wave. 11.2 mph seems to be best unless I am fighting the current then 11.6. The sweet spot is about 15' back and recoverable back to 20' on my Brewer and the P5 but you have to pay attention that far back. Variables, my LSV is not weight list sensitive per say, but when you can see the wake change when your wife's gravitationally challenged friends move around in the boat, it does make a difference! With the suck gate I can pretty much evenly load and try to to keep the gate down in the water, but I prefer to load surfside as much as possible because the extra list seems to help with the push for the newer riders. I notice the biggest difference in fuel load changes. Bottom line is you will have to experiment to find the 80% solution and it will need bow weight to get good length. Every day and everything seems to affect the wave, especially in a river. For me half of the fun was getting it set up/installed and dialed in and then listening to my friends say they were kind of intimidated by the wave! Good luck, Bill.

• Like 1