Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting ready for a long break

I am moving to Long Island for work and will not be able to use my ski boat for at least 1 to 3 years is there any possible way to store it for such a long time? If so what would you recommend thanks  . It is a 1998 Malibu response 

On the practical side

Drain every drop of fuel out of the system

Change oil and trans fluid

Remove plugs and fog each cylinder a few times while hand rotating the engine a complete revolution

Fill the block with decent marine antifreeze - something with corrosion protection not the stuff meant for RV toilets

Spray the outside of the block/trans and anything else metal with Fluid Film

Clean the entire inside of the boat as well as you can

Find a place indoors with a concrete floor to store it and put the trailer on jackstands

Tape the exhaust ports and put a good cover on it or have it wrapped.

Having said all that - I'd just sell it.  If you are considering just parking it for 3 years rather than finding a place to store it near where you can use it on the weekends then you might not be that into boat ownership.  Sell it, stick the money in a "boat account" - add in whatever you were going to pay to store it and buy a different boat in 3 years if you even want one.

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 3

I agree with oldjeep. There are always boats you can buy. I think there is slot that will go wrong, electrically, mechanically, etc. if something is not used for an extended time then things will go wrong.

also-life has a way of not following your plans. Who knows what will actually happen 3 years from now. If the plan follows through then you will have your boat money (as oldjeep says to do) and can use that to buy a replacement boat. but...think of this...if things change then you are stuck trying to sell a boat from afar that's been in extended storage. Not good.