Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Oil Change Frequency

On my previous Malibu, the transmision oil was only required to be changed every 100 hours. But on the 2016 Raptor 410 motors, does it require a transmission oil change every 50 hours? The owners manual just says to change the oil every 50 hours. It does not specify which one.

I don't know what your owners manual says but 50 hours IMO is way too few hours to worry about. IIRC I beleive mine says 200 hrs for my Hurth. I change mine seasonally and there literally is no difference visually that I can tell from 100+ hours and brand new. DEX/MERC is cheap and it is an easy job, but kind of a waste of time and money IMO. 

I think my 2005 transmission says every 300 hours.  I probably do it every 2nd or 3rd season just to give myself a project to do.  :-)  I do the V-drive oil and the transmission fluid on the same schedule...don't forget there are two "drive units"...one is the transmission and one is the v-drive and they take different types of fluids!

-- Mike

6 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

On my previous Malibu, the transmision oil was only required to be changed every 100 hours. But on the 2016 Raptor 410 motors, does it require a transmission oil change every 50 hours? The owners manual just says to change the oil every 50 hours. It does not specify which one.

The Raptor manual suggests changing the oil in Indmar V-drive at the first service and then every 300 hours or annually whichever comes first. The Indmar V-drive uses automatic transmission fluid in the shifting portion of the transmission and 50W Synthetic transmission oil in the v-drive portion.

• Like 3
Just now, electricjohn said:

I got tired of changing fluid that looked brand new.  Every 5 years now, synthetic.

2nd this. Mine always looked like new. I do it every 3 years now.

Just picked up my 2016 23lsv from a 50 hours service, but when i picked it up they performed an oil and transmission fluid change. When I questioned them about this, they told me they always change both fluids. Isn't this inconsistent with the owner's manual and my touch screen? I though the engine oil was after 50 hours and the transmission after 300 hours or every year.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:04 PM, malibu2004 said:

I change mine every year. 1qt for the v-drive and 2qt for the the transmission = $15 which equals piece of mind. 

I'm more lazy and do it every two seasons - under 100 hours.  It gets checked frequently but it goes in pink and comes out pink. 

I have been doing it every 2 seasons but I'm sure 3 would be fine.  So far I'm averaging about 80 hours per year, but it's definitely trending up so I'll probably stick with 2 year intervals.

5 hours ago, bbattiste247 said:

Just picked up my 2016 23lsv from a 50 hours service, but when i picked it up they performed an oil and transmission fluid change. When I questioned them about this, they told me they always change both fluids. Isn't this inconsistent with the owner's manual and my touch screen? I though the engine oil was after 50 hours and the transmission after 300 hours or every year.

I think a lot of places do the fluid changes regardless of the hours just in case there were some floaties in the fluids after your the initial break. I doubt you would really be able to tell unless the oil was sent some where to get analyzed, but a little piece of mind from and another couple of dollars for the dealer!

@bbattiste247 - Did they charge you for it?  I'd pitch a fit or tell them the end of season change is on them ... 50 hours is early unless you didn't do it at 10-20 hrs.  Unfortunately a lot of shops do this b/c they think 100k wakeboat owners are loaded and will pay.  If you didn't ask for it, then work a deal for something else (always better than refusing to pay).

• Like 1

@bbattiste247 - Did they charge you for it?  I'd pitch a fit or tell them the end of season change is on them ... 50 hours is early unless you didn't do it at 10-20 hrs.  Unfortunately a lot of shops do this b/c they think 100k wakeboat owners are loaded and will pay.  If you didn't ask for it, then work a deal for something else (always better than refusing to pay).

Tranny oil was changed at 20 hours and then again at 56 hours and now again at 110 hours. I just asked for the engine oil change, but was surprised when I had a bill exceeding what I expected to pay for the engine oil service. I didn't want to pitch a fit, so I emailed them later and they told me they would make sure it doesn't happen again by keeping notes on my service. I thought they already did that.

• 2 years later...

In order to change the transmission fluid (and the V-drive fluid for that matter), is everyone using an oil extractor or is there some relatively clean method to drain the transmission?  Also, I have not seen anything on a transmission filter like on the automatic transmission of my way too old car.  Is there a transmission filter to be changed also?  Finally, regarding the spark arrestor, how is everyone cleaning it.  My boat is a 2016 Malibu LSV.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Setter2016 said:

In order to change the transmission fluid (and the V-drive fluid for that matter), is everyone using an oil extractor or is there some relatively clean method to drain the transmission?  Also, I have not seen anything on a transmission filter like on the automatic transmission of my way too old car.  Is there a transmission filter to be changed also?  Finally, regarding the spark arrestor, how is everyone cleaning it.  My boat is a 2016 Malibu LSV.  Thanks.

I use an extractor for the tranny and v drive. 

Recommended frequency is  in the manual - 

91106234-FE76-4843-B6B5-50373022B235.png

11 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

I use an extractor for the tranny and v drive. 

Recommended frequency is  in the manual - 

91106234-FE76-4843-B6B5-50373022B235.png

I also use an oil extractor. Works great. very fast. Just a little effort required getting the levels perfect on the refill.