Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boaters pulling tubes...

Cmb396

How do y'all handle the Ahole boaters that literally circle you in the water to bounce their kids off your wake?

Since I got my LSV this year, we are out surfing every weekend, and people literally circle us while we're surfing!! For one, it's dangerous as s***, and secondly, it really chops the water water up.

I will say some kids on a jet ski launched their buddy every bit of 20' in the air and it was pretty comical!

Since I don't necessarily own the water, it's hard to have an argument other than for safety. Of course, I've yelled at a one person, and motioned for them to get the hell away from us, and then I come out looking like the Ahole.

How do y'all handle those inconsiderate idiots?

Depends on how close they come. I'm pretty good about sharing the water. But on more than one occasion I've followed people to the dock. Just make sure your crew can take their's. Lol. When it starts jeopardizing my innocent children's safety, that's where I draw the line. There's also the option of waiting until your sacked out for surfing and that A-hole is now just drifting in the water catching some rays. You can do a nice close fly by. That's more for the drunken grown ups. I'll never act out any sort of retaliation that will endanger any kids in my boat or theirs. Afterall that's the whole reason I'm pissedin the first place. 

4 hours ago, MaliWop said:

There's also the option of waiting until your sacked out for surfing and that A-hole is now just drifting in the water catching some rays. You can do a nice close fly by. 

Good thinking...and way to set an example.  My advice before the fly-by...cover your registration letters before you do this (Every 'A-hole' has a camera at the ready these days) ...or you could simply wait for the lawsuit to be delivered to your door when you swamp one of them and someone gets hurt.

Edited by RTS

Pull your rider in and wait for them to take a break or switch tubers. Stroll over to their boat then ask them to stop riding so close to your boat and rider. Tell them this is a warning. The second time paint balls will be fired, the third will be lead.  Getting ran over by a boat is reckless assault with a deadly weapon in my book.    

We went out on Thursday last week figuring we'd get some decent water.  Wrong!  Every time I turned a corner there was a boat pulling a tube and two jet skis following.  I tried to wait them out but no such luck.  They stayed all day.  One of the worst days on the water.

I hate when i'm trying to find some calm water to wakeboard on, and find a spot only to have it ruined by 3 surf boats. Can't surfing be done in choppy water?

• Like 3

A couple weeks ago I was out on Okanagan lake.  Pretty much the only boat on the lake with the exception of one other boater....pulling a tube.  We were just drifting off to the side and this guy came within 20' of us throwing a huge wake for the tube.   We bounced all over the place.  He left the area and shortly later, we did too.   I came across him in another part of the lake.  He was stopped, bringing his tube inside.  Guess what I did?   Passed within 20' of him making the largest wake I could.  He bounced all over the place.  Probably not the best way to handle it, but it felt good at the time.   

So we went to a different part of the river yesterday, and didn't have any issues. Actually, had some spectators sit and watch for awhile.

As for the others, one guy was in a Baja last weekend, and I know he just got. Probably some jacktard that has never boated before. He got the idea when I motioned him to get away from us. 

And then I did roll him with some monster wakes while he was beached on the island. I know a few others that have he issues with this particular boater too.

1 hour ago, greg2vlx said:

I may be the odd man out and will likely take some heat for this, but surfing on my current lake has become a bit of a problem.  Surfers have started plowing trough very small coves and wrecking the water (not to mention docks) and have no clue.  One boat has a dock in this cove and they get it, they go to the big water and are respectful of others, but they are the only surfers in the area with this mindset.  I don't own the water and I'm all for everyone having a good time, but the surfers here have more options on the areas they surf.  A little courtesy would go a long ways, but what do I know.  So what's my point, often times tubers are not nearly as annoying as surfers!

Agreed. I've had more surfers cause a nuisance than tubers this season. Nothing against surfing as that's what we're doing as well most of the time. I just hate when you have a 90 mile long lake that can be pure glass, yet people will insist on surfing right in front of our slips. I remember not so many years ago the lakes were full of courteous and respectful boaters that seemed to have basic common sense. Seems like those days are long gone.

Problem with tubers is they are freakin' unpredictable.  Both when in front of and behind you.  I just try to stay away from them.  If they are particularly oblivious to others, I'll pull in my rider, and go to a different part of the lake.  Churn from others (and on my lake, the bigger yacht type boats are the biggest problem) is just a nuisance.  Tubers can be a safety hazard.

11 hours ago, greg2vlx said:

I may be the odd man out and will likely take some heat for this, but surfing on my current lake has become a bit of a problem.  Surfers have started plowing trough very small coves and wrecking the water (not to mention docks) and have no clue.  One boat has a dock in this cove and they get it, they go to the big water and are respectful of others, but they are the only surfers in the area with this mindset.  I don't own the water and I'm all for everyone having a good time, but the surfers here have more options on the areas they surf.  A little courtesy would go a long ways, but what do I know.  So what's my point, often times tubers are not nearly as annoying as surfers!

Question about surf wakes as I don't do it all that much. When you guys surf is the boat going straight or are you in a turn? I ask because a friend of mine surfs in a turn/ large circle and I noticed that the waves seem to beat themselves into submission thus not leaving much of a mess. The outside rollers are minimal compared to the wave on the inside of the turn which is what we surf.

I just park my boat or head up the lake.  Forget weekends, that's when my lake becomes a tubing paradise.  During the week the religious cult camp runs 3 or 4 Air Nautiques for $tubing rides$ between 2 and 6pm turning my end of the lake in an ocean.  I think rear view mirrors should be required too.

On 7/16/2016 at 8:37 AM, oldjeep said:

We ski, so our wakes are no fun for toobers. We do however curse the surf boats when they churn up all the flat water. :)

I really enjoy the surfers that power turn and throw huge wakes down the lake for us water skiers to enjoy. It just chaps my hide. One stupid boat can ruin the water for the skiers. 

Yep, I've noticed the surf wake can be obnoxious, so we don't do in front of docks or slips. We are now going to a larger part of the river that has less traffic and no docks. Bad part is it's quite a jaunt to get to and just burns that much more fuel.

Had an issue free weekend this past one, with lots of surfing.

Just now, skyskier said:

I only read the first post. When I see a surfer complaining about anything at all I don't need to go any further.

LOL, he has a valid point though about people following too close, regardless of what you or they are doing.  We just pack up and move if it happens.  Was amused though at the idea of a tidal wave boater complaining about someone chopping the water up ;)