Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop trailer clearance/ shaft alignment

Ok so I'm pretty sure the prop shaft isn't supposed to look like this as you can tell in the picture it's way off to one side.but what do I know I figured I'd ask the crew just to make sure.??

Also I upgraded my prop and I have  just about 3/8" clearance from trailer. Is this enough? Or should I even risk it? If not enough clearence any suggestions on how to remedy this besides buying a new trailer?? Thanks again guys

image_zps5fbblc9u.jpeg

image_zpsmbsmthd6.jpeg

The 3/8 inch gap doesn't scare me.  The trailer will be much lower in the water in the boat approaches.  You won't be that close till you start pulling the boat out of the water.  I would hope by then you don't need power from the boat anymore.  I'm not boat mechanic but that shaft looks JACKED!

Ok thanks For the reassurance!

The shaft is  what I'm afraid of.. I'm not sure how long it has been this way.. The boat has been running smooth no vibration, haven't hit anything... Previous owner said a tow rope was tangled in prop a couple seasons ago??

Your strut bushing(s) are gone and the strut is twisted or the shaft is bent (or both).  I'd expect to be replacing the whole strut and likely the driveshaft.  That should be vibrating like crazy

Edited by oldjeep
2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Your strut bushing(s) are gone and the strut is twisted or the shaft is bent (or both).  I'd expect to be replacing the whole strut and likely the driveshaft.  That should be vibrating like crazy

That's what has me confused there is no vibration... But it doesn't need to be fixed. Do u have an ideas of how hard of a job this would be... I can tackle some stuff but by no means am I a mechanic

8 minutes ago, Edehoyos1 said:

That's what has me confused there is no vibration... But it doesn't need to be fixed. Do u have an ideas of how hard of a job this would be... I can tackle some stuff but by no means am I a mechanic

Worst part will be paying for the parts.  First you need to determine what all is messed up and I'm not sure how you do that.  Even if the strut isn't bent the shaft has been rubbing on it and the bushings likely won't stay put any more.  First thing I would do is rotate the shaft and see if it maintains its position relative to the strut.

48 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Worst part will be paying for the parts.  First you need to determine what all is messed up and I'm not sure how you do that.  Even if the strut isn't bent the shaft has been rubbing on it and the bushings likely won't stay put any more.  First thing I would do is rotate the shaft and see if it maintains its position relative to the strut.

Thanks sounds like a good staring point.

30 minutes ago, Rednucleus said:

So you noticed this only because changing a prop? Pretty amazing things weren't shaking. Don't run it again till all better!

There was a slight vibration out of the hole but I had a couple of dings on my old prop I thought that was the cause... I was just as surprised when I saw it... Of course I find this when summer is in full swing!!

So after the suggestions I went back looked at the strut and sure enough it is bent :cry: ... Will I have to pull the shaft in order to fix? I have been doing some research and these things can be straightened out correct? Thanks again guys

You don't have to pull shaft to replace strut. Main thing now is how badly scored the shaft is. You'll want to smooth any raised grooves before installing new strut. I would think straightening strut would be a pro job. I've got a lot of tools and have no idea how I would accomplish that.

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

You don't have to pull shaft to replace strut. Main thing now is how badly scored the shaft is. You'll want to smooth any raised grooves before installing new strut. I would think straightening strut would be a pro job. I've got a lot of tools and have no idea how I would accomplish that.

Thanks, I appreciate it I've been researching this job, I'm thinkin I'll be able to tackle it... Thanks again for your response 

So at the point you are at It might be easier to replace the strut with the new bushings in it. If you decide to replace the bushings and straitening the shaft I would use the after market XPC bushings. I also would check engine aliment. As said have a good look at the shaft,and key.  You are playing with .02 / .03 tolerance.  If you arer not working through a dealer this is one of the best places to get parts.   http://www.skidim.com   Good people!

Edited by Sixball
1 hour ago, Sixball said:

So at the point you are at It might be easier to replace the strut with the new bushings in it. If you decide to replace the bushings and straitening the shaft I would use the after market XPC bushings. I also would check engine aliment. As said have a good look at the shaft,and key.  You are playing with .02 / .03 tolerance.  If you arer not working through a dealer this is one of the best places to get parts.   http://www.skidim.com   Good people!

Thanks for the link I'm officially in the market for a strut and bushings

Just a few wacks with a 5 lb sledge hammer and you should get it close enough :)

Ya, that thing took a hard hit... that won't be cheap to fix, insurance claim and call it good.

I'd let a boat shop do the work... I just had a strut "straightened" and tweaked.  It went well and I have no issues.  However I didn't have to have bushing done and the shaft was verified as being straight.  So I had nothing to lose

From what I understand you can tweak the strut a little while its on the boat by stick a "breaker bar" in it and pushing on it.  Major straightening would require the strut to come off and straightened.  It looks like your strut needs a lot of work.  You could try straightening it and if you get it right, then do the bushings.  However I've heard that bushings end up costing half the price of the strut.  So if you're paying for labor for a guy to bend it back, then your almost at the price of a new strut and peace of mind..

IMO I would pull the shaft and see if its straight and find out of it has any score marks on it like others have said.  I would consider a new strut over fixing the old one.  Make your decisions based on what you find out.

Could you please post a wider angle pic of the back of the boat & strut so we can get a better visual of damage. I would agree with the replace vs bend it back philosophy. Pretty important part of your boat and alignment is critical to long term drivetrain health.

Thanks everyone for the input! Is there any way to tell if the shaft is bent without pulling it? It doesn't look bent just by looking at it but I guess that doesn't mean it's not. 

I would take more pictures but I took her to storage this morning

Replacing the strut seems pretty straight forward I'm eager to get back on the water i will be attempting this mysef

any pointers or tricks would be much appreciated!

Oh and looks like the running price for a strut is about 350 that's at skidim I believe bearing included anywhere else I should look? Thanks again guys

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Like I said before, rotate the shaft and see if it's position in the strut changes.

I did. it stays in the same spot. it would change if it was bent right?