Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Piggy Backs In Rear- Draining Issues

TC_2006_VLX

The crystal clear waters of Minnesota are unfortunately partially tainted with Zebra Mussels and Milfoil. My in-laws cabin is on a lake which fortunately has not been hit by these lil gremlins yet. Doing my best to be a responsible boater and not transfer water between the two bodies of water. The new A22 has piggy back 750 Rear bags on top of the hard ballasts. When attempting to drain the rear lockers these dont seem to effectively run back into the hard tanks. Any recommendations for getting this water out in a timely/effective manner?  

If you want a good winter project install some reversible Johnson pumps, they will suck 100% of the water out of the bags and be seperate from your hard tanks.  Imo, the only way to fly for a superior ballast system.

Yes, please be very careful!  I think a full flush of engine and ballast with hot water and bleach would be good :biggrin:

Practically speaking maybe you could suck them out with an overboard pump upon departure from the invaded lake.

The zebras and milfoil are probably inevitable but the longer they stay away the better.  Thanks from everyone on Balsam.

• Like 1

Most people put on check valves when using a reversible pump to help get most of the water out. I wonder if adding check valves on the vent line would help? Pretty inexpensive attempt. 

Just now, teamerickson said:

Most people put on check valves when using a reversible pump to help get most of the water out. I wonder if adding check valves on the vent line would help? Pretty inexpensive attempt. 

Doubt it, reversibles create as much suction as they do discharge.  But an aerator pump all most totally relies on gravity on the input side. 

My piggy back system kept kinking the drain hose.  I ended up adding an elbow to the drain line to help it lie flat under all that weight.  My tanks have been emptying fully since (albeit, slower than an reversible system).  Those aerator pumps just push water.  Reversibles actually suck those bags dry!

Where did you pick the elbow pieces up from?

Launch Patrol on Balsam loves me as they know I am more meticulous than requirements. I will they had a hot flush station there! 

15 hours ago, TC_2006_VLX said:

Where did you pick the elbow pieces up from?

Launch Patrol on Balsam loves me as they know I am more meticulous than requirements. I will they had a hot flush station there! 

Wakemakers.  I ordered a bunch of different parts (elbows, connectors, hose, etc).  My fall plan is to add in a reversible to both bags to help them drain out fully.  

I find the fill times reasonable with the piggy back system.  We have a little cruise to our surf spot, so I don't notice the fill time.  It's that drain time/did the bags drain fully that is annoying.

https://www.wakemakers.com/wakeboard-ballast-hose