Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
wheelman

Power wedge 2 position for surfing

wheelman

Curious to hear everyone's wedge position for surfing regular and goofy side. I have spent a lot of time playing around with mine trying to find the best. Mostly the regular side as that's the side I regularly surf and I always end up coming back to 2 bars below stow. Any lower than this and I find I lose the push i like in my wave. This is the same no matter what weight configuration I run or speed. I see a lot of you guys saying you run quite a bit lower wedge?

Edited by wheelman

Skin2Win

I usually start in the same position as you and either go down or up a click depending upon the weight (number of people), RPM's and how hard it is working.  If I use too much wedge it runs at 37 -3800 and i try to adjust it to run about 3500.  It seems to me that there is a big difference in how the engine sounds and feels from 3800 to 3500.  Doesn't seem to affect the wave that much either and 3500 seems to be the sweet spot.

Suggy
1 minute ago, Skin2Win said:

I usually start in the same position as you and either go down or up a click depending upon the weight (number of people), RPM's and how hard it is working.  If I use too much wedge it runs at 37 -3800 and i try to adjust it to run about 3500.  It seems to me that there is a big difference in how the engine sounds and feels from 3800 to 3500.  Doesn't seem to affect the wave that much either and 3500 seems to be the sweet spot.

+1.  I haven't played around a ton with ours yet, but I go based off engine noise/RPMs.  It all depends on how you weight your boat too though.  We have 750s in the rear and no extra bow sac, so I run it closer to lift to get the RPMs around 3500.

Skin2Win

I wonder if 1 click away from lift is about the same as 1 click away from stow?  Sounds like we are doing the same thing but on opposite sides of the wedge spectrum.  I have the same set up as you for ballast and you are correct in how it is weighted, the people placement makes a big difference.  That is why I play around with the wedge position every time I am out there.

Edited by Skin2Win

JeffK

I start mine two clicks from stow and go from there based on the wave and rider.  Closer to stow gets the bow in the air and makes the wave shorter and steeper.  Closer to fully deployed makes the wave longer, but less steep and with less lip. 

Newer riders get a longer wave b/c they seem to get nervous around the back of the boat.  More skilled riders get their choice.

Edited by JeffK

bbattiste247

On a 2016 23lsv, I run full ballast and two 750lbs bags in the rear. For my wife (100lbs) I don't use any wedge and the wave appears to be big, but when I ride, I need to put down the wedge at two clicks below stow. If I don't use the wedge, the wave just doesn't have the push I need. It looks similiar, but rides differently. 

Fman

22vlx w/409, goof riders we ride at wedge all way down, 10.8 mph.  For regular (port side) I use another 2 clicks up and increase speed to 11.1.  The goofy side wave is always easier to dial in, port side needs a little more speed and wedge.  I believe it's because of the prop spin.  We are average Joe surfers and it's plenty for everyone riding.

Btw, weight setup is all hard tanks full with about 600-700 in each rear locker and a couple peeps in the bow.

SSinister06

I run at 2 clicks up from lift, all hard tanks full, wakemakers custom locker sacks full and 1k lb bow triangle.

DarkSide

I start the day with full MLS, 800 in bow, and 1300 in the corners, wedge @ 4 clicks above lift.  As the day goes on and the fuel tank empties, I sometimes add a touch more wedge.

ID AX

Currently running all hard tanks full, WM customs in the rear lockers and 1k triangle in the bow.  I ride regular side at 11.3 mph and wedge 3 clicks from lift.  Goofy side is same speed but wedge 1 or 2 clicks from lift.  

wheelman

My usuall weight set up is full mls 750's in lockers,650 in bow,370 in port side coffin, I find this helps the prop rotation for regular side and 100lbs of lead in each locker at the very back. Speed 11.2 to 11.6 depending how many people in the boat. I run 3500 to 3600 rpm.