Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Calling LS3 owners

SurfinLSV

Hey guys looking for some insight here. My boat has the MP LS3 and 2315 prop and this thing is just drinking fuel while surfing. I am burning over 10gph while weighted. I am also getting a little bit of soot build up on the transom at the end of the weekend. I feel like the exhaust smells worse than before as well. I have complained to my dealer as this just doesn't seem normal to me but they say everything looks fine. Anyone else have this problem? and what does your fuel burn look like when surfing?

Yea I am not expecting it to sip fuel but it just seems like it has gotten worse the more hours I put on the boat. The soot on the transom and the exhaust smell has me more concerned than the fuel burn. I do not remember noticing either of these things for the first 70-80 hours.

Hate to stir the pot, but my 14 with the mp450 burned a lot of gas surfing too. My 15 lsv with the indmar 450 amazes me with how little fuel it burns. I am able to run the 2773 prop on this boat, no problem. I, as well as others on this forum, have always thought that the mp450 had engine programming problems, especially when set on cruise.

• Like 1

Same year and engine, don't have the soot problem you're describing at 110 hours.  I was actually quite impressed with this power plant over my vacation as it was able to get up to wake boarding speed effortlessly when weighted fairly heavy.  The cruise control delay while surfing is slightly annoying, but does not hurt experience while surfing.

9 minutes ago, Stevo said:

You running a bow bag?

If asking me, it depends on the number of people on board.  Either I run a bow bag or have 2 people (decent sized adults) sitting up front.

Stevo

No but I have about 500lbs of lead stuffed under the seats and throw another 200lbs up in the very front of the bow when surfing.

Did you all set the lawsuit where Malibu sued MP.  I would imagine there was a big issue hents the short production run.  I would have to imagine a settlement would go to owners with lame MP LS3.  I would be bitching at corporate daily.  Squeaky wheel get the grease!!!

My neighbor has 14' with the 409 1235 and he guzzles so much more gas than I do with the 350 and I run heavier and with an 2419(I'm in the 4.5 - 5.0 gph range)

@DarkSide had and improved GPH when jumping up to the  LSA and running lower RPM

15 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

That's a 12" pitch.  What rpm are you running at slalom speed?  Say 35 mph.

I'm sorry but We are not talking about running 35mph slalom speeds here.

the OP was asking as it relates to surfing.

1 minute ago, Stevo said:

I'm sorry but We are not talking about running 35mph slalom speeds here.

the OP was asking as it relates to surfing.

I know, but I do both surf and slalom and I'm wondering how much I'll "give up" on the slalom end if I go with a more "surf" prop.

1 minute ago, shawndoggy said:

You gonna be bouncing off the rev limiter of a 350 with a 2419 @ 35.  Or real close anyway.

I think so too but just thought I would ask in case there was some kind of magic efficiency to be had.  The math says that if my 16" pitch runs 3900 at 35mph then a 12" would run about 5200.  ...but there are a lot of other factors involved besides just pitch.

We have the same setup but with a 1235. We are going to install a 2315 the next time out and I will report back. We have not had the soot issues you are describing. That is definitely not right.

@minnmarker I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are you using to calculate the MPH for your prop? When I try to do the math I get 59 MPH for the 16" @ 3900, but that's assuming 0 slip. Maybe my math skills are bad, so is there a prop calculator out there I haven't found yet?

Just now, mikeo said:

@minnmarker I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what are you using to calculate the MPH for your prop? When I try to do the math I get 59 MPH for the 16" @ 3900, but that's assuming 0 slip. Maybe my math skills are bad, so is there a prop calculator out there I haven't found yet?

I mean I'm the VERY LAST person to question someone's math, but you did divide for the gear ratio of the tranny, right?

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

My neighbor has 14' with the 409 1235 and he guzzles so much more gas than I do with the 350 and I run heavier and with an 2419(I'm in the 4.5 - 5.0 gph range)

@DarkSide had and improved GPH when jumping up to the  LSA and running lower RPM

Not to derail from the MP discussion...

He is running 1235 with 409? if he went to a 2315 I think he would see a better overall experience in fuel consumption and performance.  Those 14.5" props just don't perform well on surfgate boats (at least did not for me on my 13 vlx).  I only use 5-6gph while surfing with oj 948 w/409.  I'm surprised the 1235 actually works for him when surfing, not a desirable prop for anyone with a surfgate boat.

A good friend has the 409 in his MB and burns about the same fuel as I do when surfing or heavy boarding.  I truly believe running the correct prop for application makes a big difference in fuel consumption.

Just my .02...

6 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I mean I'm the VERY LAST person to question someone's math, but you did divide for the gear ratio of the tranny, right?

oops :facepalm:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, mikeo said:

The GPS speedometer built into my Perfect Pass.  Yes, slip is one of the factors.  That's why I asked the question.  Nothing like real empirical data.  My boat cam with the 381 (17.5" pitch) and I didn't loose any top speed when I went to the 537 (16" pitch) so if I can go to a lower pitch without having to run over 4500 rpm at SL speed then that would be a good thing.