Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air/Lake Temps WAY off - 16LSV

I have a new 16 LSV and my air and water (lake) temperatures are WAY off.  Seems like it just gets higher and higher.  The other day the air was like 110 and the water was 95.  Any thoughts?

Same thing on mine with the air temp.  The sensor is under the dash so I can see why.  You can go into the settings and set it to read lower if you want.  I think I set mine to read less (-10) degrees.  It gets it closer at least.  My best guess with the water reading warmer is because it is reading the top 1-2 feet which is going to be warmer than when you jump in and feel the temp at your toes.

Or the sensors are going bad already.  Air temp should read close to true if you are underway.  Sitting and baking in the sun us another story.

Where is the water temp sensor on the new boats?

Just now, minnmarker said:

Or the sensors are going bad already.  Air temp should read close to true if you are underway.  Sitting and baking in the sun us another story.

In my 2012 it is part of the paddlewheel

The water and air temp sensors (readings) on my $130 Hawkeye depth finder are spot on.  One would think Malibu would have figured this stuff out over the years.

Do the simple stuff well and reliably - and make sure the fancy bling stuff doesn't shut the whole operation down when something goes wrong - which it will.

2 hours ago, minnmarker said:

My air temp is close well the boat is running at speed. Any other time it's Hi. Same as water temp but water temp is close other than if I am sitting with a warm engine.

On my VLX only the air seems to be off by about 10 degrees.  In addition, my volt gauge reads low.  With boat off getting about 11.1-11.5.  Checked both batteries with meter and they are coming back 12.6.  I can't understand why these things are not better calibrated!

5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

My 2012 is the same way - air temp reads 5-10 degrees high, no idea on the water.  I always figured that the sensor must be mounted under the black dash

It is on mine (much older) i took the infrared to it when I was wiring a new ballast in under the dash yesterday and it is definitely much hotter under the dash. You can move the sensor though, mine was just hanging there. 

1 hour ago, 95echelon said:

It is on mine (much older) i took the infrared to it when I was wiring a new ballast in under the dash yesterday and it is definitely much hotter under the dash. You can move the sensor though, mine was just hanging there. 

I zip tied both air temp sensors (Medallion and Hawkeye) to the steering rack.  That gets them lower and gives them access to some more free flowing air - and they seem to be pretty accurate.  That being said, we do not spend much time just floating around on the boat since we have a dock and shoreline to go back to.

Water temp rises as the engine heats up the engine cavity.  Most accurate temp is immediately after turning engine on.  Air temp is only accurate on cloudy days when sun isn't beating down on the dash.  The heater really screws with the air temp.  

• 3 years later...

Sounds like the air temp would register high if you’re running the heater in the boat too? So it’s registering “cabin temperature” under the dash, rather than “ambient temperature.” 

my 18 lsv is also way off  i can adjust it up to 10* but still not enough    says its 95 out when really its 80

water temp i guess is close because i have no other way or cared to take the lake temp

I assume the inaccuracy is true for the 2020 models as well?  My '19 is way off in air but feels fairly accurate in water.