Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu secret turbo power knob, and a thought

malibudog

2016 23lsv.  Driving down the lake at wakeboard speed, saw some friends and laid on the horn.  Boat sped up about 1.5 mph.  Tried it again.  Same result.  Honking the horn speeds the boat up???  Anyone care to explain?  Best I can come up with is horn vibrations throw off the GPS?  Anyway, cool to know I have a secret turbo knob for that extra burst of power when needed.  

Second question.  Saw Mastercraft had a new back up steering assist.  Made me wonder how hard it would be to program the surfgates to extend slightly when the boat is in reverse, and tie it to the wheel direction.  Might not need or want to move them much (wouldn't want them to extend out far enough to hit a dock), but they are certainly big rudders.  Thoughts?

2 hours ago, malibudog said:

Second question.  Saw Mastercraft had a new back up steering assist.  Made me wonder how hard it would be to program the surfgates to extend slightly when the boat is in reverse, and tie it to the wheel direction.  Might not need or want to move them much (wouldn't want them to extend out far enough to hit a dock), but they are certainly big rudders.  Thoughts?

That is a great idea! I think that as long as we are still using a steering cable though it might be a little more difficult to implement. If they went to drive-by-wire, it would probably be pretty easy to do with software.

4 minutes ago, Raimie said:

That is a great idea! I think that as long as we are still using a steering cable though it might be a little more difficult to implement. If they went to drive-by-wire, it would probably be pretty easy to do with software.

Good point.  Though I wonder if you could do something with the twist knob like Ford does with their dorky trailer assist thing.  Put gates in reverse mode and just use the dial to influence direction?

I don't think SG would help any more than the existing rudder does.  The prop will divert water where it diverts it, and since the prop is at an angle, the blades will bite harder on one side than the other.  I think the reason the MC system works is that it diverts the water after the prop, the same way that the rudder in the rear diverts water after the propwash.  I think all the SG would do would be to funnel water towards the prop, and it will pull water from all directions anyway.  I could be wrong, but that's what I think would happen.

3 hours ago, malibudog said:

2016 23lsv.  Driving down the lake at wakeboard speed, saw some friends and laid on the horn.  Boat sped up about 1.5 mph.  Tried it again.  Same result.  Honking the horn speeds the boat up???

If one horn is good for 1.5mph, time to add 2 or 3 more...

• Like 2

Think about seadoos, without throttle they do not steer.  But BRP added those flaps to spread out when you are off throttle (OPAS?).  They don't add much to the low speed maneuverability, but it does help a bit. It's essentially the concept your referring to.

Edited by saxton15
7 hours ago, John I. said:

SG + horn = extra 2.5 mph

Be careful, your hull may explode if done too frequently!!!!

Edited by ConnollyCrew

Sadly, mine is doing this as well.  I think the horn wires are run right by the harness and may have enough power draw that it is messing with things.  I was going to run a temporary wire to use for the horn away from the harness and see if it makes any difference.

2 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Sadly, mine is doing this as well.  I think the horn wires are run right by the harness and may have enough power draw that it is messing with things.  I was going to run a temporary wire to use for the horn away from the harness and see if it makes any difference.

What are you, Lex Luthor?   I find my boat has super powers, and you start looking for kryptonite???

Edited by malibudog
56 minutes ago, malibudog said:

What are you, Lex Luthor?   I find my boat has super powers, and you start looking for kryptonite???

Yeah...I know. I know.  I'm tired of telling my kid he can't honk the horn.  :)  I only get asked roughly 37 times each outing.