Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Broke down and added some sacks..

powderjay

On July 12, 2016 at 8:47 AM, powderjay said:

550's,  not sure the brand though.. Doh!!

No wakemakers customs???? Spencer has an LSV every year so you can bet he will have a template for the BEST sacks for that boat! He did for the 15 ?

On July 12, 2016 at 8:37 AM, Stevo said:

What bags did u go with?

Hopefully BIG SACKs

28 minutes ago, ConnollyCrew said:

Hopefully BIG SACKs

Had an Axis in the service dept today. The owner had over 1000 lbs in the bow & broke the hull. No impact in the black gelcoat at all, but a probably 2" long crack across one of the chines below the windshield where the fiberglass was broken clear thru. And the boat was taking on water.

That damn Cole. You can't trust that guy. Always spending your money. 

He for me to add bags to my LSV as well. Great addition. He didn't convince you to buy a Phase Five board???

2 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Had an Axis in the service dept today. The owner had over 1000 lbs in the bow & broke the hull. No impact in the black gelcoat at all, but a probably 2" long crack across one of the chines below the windshield where the fiberglass was broken clear thru. And the boat was taking on water.

I would be soooo pissed if that happened to mah boat!

Just now, ConnollyCrew said:

I would be soooo pissed if that happened to mah boat!

Think about that when your loading these boats with BIG SACKS.

Try getting some BIG BALLS & developing some skills behind the boat.   :salute:

3 minutes ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Hmmm, yeah Bill. Tell Parker Payne that... You smart guy!!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

If it was the bag and the bag only that broke it I would be surprised, and happy I had the hull warranty.

not 100% but I think this is the 1st case I've evere heard of this. 6k boats per year? I'll take those odds

• Like 1

I'm with @Stevo on this one, I'm not sure that a 1000 lb in bow ballast could break the hull; maybe if it was poorly placed lead or steel bars. I'd be looking for additional damage "evidence" like damage underneath the boat from an impact or body glitter in the bow that might indicate an excessive number of people were in the bow :lol: I would also be interesting to see what the condition of the FibECs stringers are, did they crack too? did they "unglue"/delaminate from the hull?

A broken hull deserves to have pictures posted! (with the reg numbers obscured to protect the guilty)

8 hours ago, mikeo said:

I'm with @Stevo on this one, I'm not sure that a 1000 lb in bow ballast could break the hull; maybe if it was poorly placed lead or steel bars. I'd be looking for additional damage "evidence" like damage underneath the boat from an impact or body glitter in the bow that might indicate an excessive number of people were in the bow :lol: I would also be interesting to see what the condition of the FibECs stringers are, did they crack too? did they "unglue"/delaminate from the hull?

A broken hull deserves to have pictures posted! (with the reg numbers obscured to protect the guilty)

Hahahhaha, good luck with that philosophy. If this was the only case like this, then you'd be correct in your assumption. I'd suggest you run BIG SACKS in your boat & let us know how it goes. I'm here to tell ya that Malibu doesn't honor squat when you abuse the boat.    :Doh:

BTW, it was a big fat sack. No evidence other than we found the fat sack under the spotters seat & asked the owner if he was running it & he confessed. Crack goes across the width of the boat. Access to the stringers is tough, but no one thought they were cracked too. And no delamination yet, although I bet it would happen if the boat was run much longer as is.

I'll see about getting a picture, but believe me it is not going to show any glitter or bow numbers. It's a 2" crack on the bottom, not sure I could get the bow numbers in the picture if I tried.   :Doh:

Was he running with the bow tank empty?  Bow is rated for 500# worth of passengers on my VLX, forget what it was on the A22.  It almost sounds like the weight was supported only around the perimeter, and not underneath.  I set up my bow like a plug and play, and the panel covering the front tank drain pump is not on the boat, and there has been no deflection even with a full bag (rated at 1000# bit I don't think it holds that much).

Edited by 67King

I don't have the bow tank in my '15 23 LSV and the window sticker says 350# max, but I think that's the default sticker regardless of the config. I run a Fly High triangle in the bow, and I know @67King and I compared math notes on the theoretical capacity of the bag in a different thread; I believe we decided it was between 600 and 1000 lbs.

It isn't a scale, but I'm going to grab a hose barb flow meter from Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Water-Flow-Meter-52212/205489792 and fill my bow bag from the washdown pump on the houseboat this weekend; that should give me a +/- 5% (I hope) accurate weight by gallon fill.

@Bill_AirJunky what fat sac was it? Ronix, Fly High, Sumo, etc? More than one in the bow?

13 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning, Captain Grumpy Scrotum? 

You just felt the need to take out your incontinence diagnosis frustration on one of the nicer guys I've met?

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

Someone piss in your cornflakes this morning, Captain Grumpy Scrotum? 

You just felt the need to take out your incontinence diagnosis frustration on one of the nicer guys I've met?

@Bill_AirJunky and @ibelonginprison I'm not a moderator, and I don't want or envy that job, but let's keep this above the belt please! Let's keep this to ballast sacs and not any others.

I'm interested in seeing the damage and discovering how a boat may have been broken deliberately or accidentally so I can avoid the same mistakes with my boat. I don't want to see this thread get deleted or censored...

• Like 2