Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat setup for wakeskating?

Josh4mc

Picking up a Hyperlite Paragon wakeskate for this weekend. Is it just like setting up for wakeboarding? Shorter rope, lower speed and less/no ballast for beginners? 

IMG_1561_zps2j6c65ho.jpg~originalIMG_1484_zpskiwnprvz.jpg~originalfor long line skating we run about 60-65' of rope and no ballast.   speed is around 21-22.  We also run short line if its rough, for that we will fill the rear tanks all the way and fill the bow about half way.  We run about 18 mph and 15-20' of rope, so the skate is right in the peak of the roster tail behind the boat.  I was skating short line the other day and forgot how fun it is when the water is too rough to skate long line.  I'll see if I can find any pictures of skating short line.

Edited by stags79
3 hours ago, smooky said:

You don't really need a big wake :biggrin: 

Ok I'm out.

That just got me pumped up to ride. 

2 hours ago, stags79 said:

IMG_1561_zps2j6c65ho.jpg~originalIMG_1484_zpskiwnprvz.jpg~originalfor long line skating we run about 60-65' of rope and no ballast.   speed is around 21-22.  We also run short line if its rough, for that we will fill the rear tanks all the way and fill the bow about half way.  We run about 18 mph and 15-20' of rope, so the skate is right in the peak of the roster tail behind the boat.  I was skating short line the other day and forgot how fun it is when the water is too rough to skate long line.  I'll see if I can find any pictures of skating short line.

Should we start off long or short line?

I like to wakeskate.....really stink at it but it is fun.  I was showing my friend how to get up on/ride one a couple years ago.  He enjoyed it too.  I told him one of the nice things about it was that you don't face plant if you catch a front edge since you are not attached.  So, he goes out and buys one and I ride it.  Face-planted harder than I ever have on a wakeboard, lol.  For some reason the one he bought allows for massive face plants...happened to him too.  Haha I will stick to riding my pos wood one that I paid about 40 bucks for.

That one pic is way too close 

60-65ft at 20-21mph is a good place to start. You want s clean wake do you can learn how to slide it and do tee try tricks in the transition  

Too slow will kill your arms and back because you are plowing to much. It also makes it really hard to Ollie if you are going too slow because the water is too soft. 

Check out this video of Nick Taylor and get stoked to ride behind a boat

3 hours ago, Josh4mc said:

That just got me pumped up to ride. 

Should we start off long or short line?

I would start long line until you are comfortable getting out of the water.