Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do all of you do it?

95echelon

So I have a lake place where I keep my boat. A lift and canopy so I don't need to cover, etc. storage for toys and tools.

Next weekend we take off for a boating vacation and I am going nuts with transporting all this stuff. I have paddle boards on top of my burban. More wake boards, surfboards and water skis than I can count in the boat (I don't trust the racks at 75mph) and I'm getting 12 mpg everywhere. My storage areas are too full. Extra ropes, extra life jackets, deflated tubes, A few tools etc

i can't figure out where to keep my beer. Any tips? I usually have a lower level with a half dozen of everything at the lake. 

Thankfully the trailer is a double axle and in good shape, I have a rankin towing cover as well. 

I barefoot, no skis. :)

Pack cooler first then pack everything else. Leave what doesn't fit?

I travel with snow skis and water skis on top of suburban. No problems.  Maybe find a Thule from a friend an put on top of burban.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Fill the boat with gear and cover it, repeat process for truck and you're good to go! 

At least I am doing the right thing here. do you guys build racks on the floor of your boards or anything? I see so many fins and so many seats to puncture... We did fine on the ride from the cabin to home (2 hours) but I have 11 hours on Saturday...

I built a rack, like was posted on here previously, with some PVC and pipe insulation.  We used to just stuff boards in bags.  You can fit a few surfboards into on bag.  We pack the boat up first.  Cooler goes under the seat, ropes and vest go in proper places, towels and snacks under the observers compartment...stuff like that.  Then we pack the floor of the boat with boards and what nots.  cover goes into a storage locker.  extra whatever in storage locker.  We try to keep boating stuff in the boat and living/lounging stuff in the truck.  

• Like 3

I think that I am simply anxious that I will forget something. Now I am worried about my cornhole setup and potato cannon not making it. I could at least fit the potato cannon in the side ski storage area of my echelon...

5 hours ago, MalibuNation said:

Cooler attached to swim platform?

I have always been concerned that the extra weight ( I have a big cooler - lots of beer!) on the platform bouncing on the road could be hard on the platform/transom.

Dude you have a V-drive, are you kidding me?!?  Did you ever take the Echelon for a road trip?

Picture this for an annual guy's weekend in our Echelon: 5 guys for 3 days.  Cooler/food/beer/packed bags in the car.  Boards/vests/ropes/the rest of the beer in the boat.  Additionally, on the observer's side next to the engine, a herbie-curbie.  Inside that herbie-curbie are two cornies, surrounded by foam, powered by a CO2 tank.  Raspberry wheat in one, IPA in the other, two little taps sticking out the side.  Those were some epic times....

• Like 2

Buy a pickup.  We pack for weeks gone and haul all our food and drinks as well with a family a five.  This year we actually had a little extra room because the kids are mostly out of diapers, no pack n' plays, swings, etc.  We take all of this in the boat plus normal boat items like buoys, ropes, sacks etc.  Not in the picture was another wakesurf, wakeboard, RAD, 7 fishing poles and 3 tackle boxes.  I am amazed at how much stuff I can fit in the rear lockers.

IMG_3201_zpskgant9jc.jpg

40 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Dude you have a V-drive, are you kidding me?!?  Did you ever take the Echelon for a road trip?

Picture this for an annual guy's weekend in our Echelon: 5 guys for 3 days.  Cooler/food/beer/packed bags in the car.  Boards/vests/ropes/the rest of the beer in the boat.  Additionally, on the observer's side next to the engine, a herbie-curbie.  Inside that herbie-curbie are two cornies, surrounded by foam, powered by a CO2 tank.  Raspberry wheat in one, IPA in the other, two little taps sticking out the side.  Those were some epic times....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot#Ingredients_permitted

But on topic: I am guessing I should empty my ballast for towing right? I left it full so I could get on the water faster in MO, but now I am wondering if that trailer can really handle the extra 3700 pounds...

• Like 3
1 minute ago, 95echelon said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot#Ingredients_permitted

But on topic: I am guessing I should empty my ballast for towing right? I left it full so I could get on the water faster in MO, but now I am wondering if that trailer can really handle the extra 3700 pounds...

Please tell me you are joking!!!!!  Why would you ever want to put more weight on a trailer and pull it around?  Not to mention that in MN it is required to drain all ballasts and live wells before going to a different lake.

• Like 1
Just now, Skin2Win said:

Please tell me you are joking!!!!!  Why would you ever want to put more weight on a trailer and pull it around?  Not to mention that in MN it is required to drain all ballasts and live wells before going to a different lake.

:rofl::whistle:

• Like 1
Just now, Skin2Win said:

Could just fill the fly high sac with beer.  That would save you room in the cooler.

Yeah. @Michigan boarder knows that I won't pass near any state with near as good of beer as MI. Gotta bring the goods! 

Very little room in car with 3 kids and a Great Dane. Maybe I can pull a Romney and put the dogs crate on the roof. 

25 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

Fill it with cheese dip. 

This 3/4" hose has a really slow queso fill rate. I either need to heat it somehow or upgrade to reversibles.