Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

02 Sensor

I have a 2015 22' MXZ with a 409. Is it common for a code to pop up every now and then regarding the 02 sensor? My dealer tells me that it's no big deal, just run the motor hard for a while and things will clear out. I still have to turn the engine off and remove battery power for a second to remove the warning. Does anyone have a idea to help me out.

If it wasn't a brand new boat I would say screw the dealer and unplug, unscrew and replace it yourself. I can see this going one of three ways, 1. It wasn't really the O2 sensor and something else breaks and the dealer won't admit to telling you to "run it hard". 2. It is just a sensor and the dealer gets PO'd that you are being insistent about this "in his mind minor issue" and you get pushed to the back of the service line or 3. They recognize you as a valued customer and would like to continue to see you and your money in the future and they take care of you!  In my mind the bottom line is you paid the price of admission, it is not something silly like mismatched seat cushions it is a service warning so you should get this taken care of correctly and in a timely manner! I dont think the dealer would like that same response for his 80k+ F-150 ? JM2C

What code is showing up? I get a fuel trim long message and my dealer said to clean the 4 sensors on the cats. Just take them out and burn the carbon off them. 

10 hours ago, WireNutt said:

just run the motor hard for a while and things will clear out.

This is unacceptable.  If there is a faulty O2 sensor, it need to be replaced.  If something is causing it to fail, it need to be corrected.  If the software is incorrectly indicating an O2 problem. it needs to be fixed.

My 2016 was throwing same code.  Dealer told me it is an issue with the engine management software.  Trim limits too tight on the O2 range.  They provided a new engine software flash to open up the limits.  But just as a precaution they replaced the sensor under warranty as well.  Happened only once right after taking delivery.  Had the code taken care of at the "10" hour service.   The code stays logged into memory and triggers the service reminder every once in a while just for fun....       No issues since the re-flash.    Hope that helps.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater