Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dorsey Axle... Can't find one

triscadek

So I had a blonde moment and caught a concrete block pulling out of a parking spot last November. Bent the wheel, popped the bead and as it turns out it bent the spindle on the axle. Local trailer place says Dorsey is out of business and he can't get his hands on a Dorsey spindle for the front right side. Says I need to replace the whole axle in order to be perfectly straight which would raise the trailer some, which means I'd need to do boat to ensure they are even. Ideas on where to find a spindle or axle whatever? He said just the front right side is bent. 

B0ABCDE7-8C59-4F9D-A4F9-3EF2D2C6AB9D.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, triscadek said:

thank you... Im guessing that is the replacement axle? Also, how hard are they to put on?

You have no brakes in that picture so it is just 4 U-bolts to remove and replace.  Jack, couple jackstands and a wrench is all you need. 

Leave the trailer attached to the truck, remove both wheels on the bad axle, unbolt the u-bolts and remove old.  Reverse process with the new one.  Pretty quick job if you have an impact wrench, little longer if you are Amish.

• Like 1

No way to have it straightened?  Here in oil field country I betting I could get it straightened.  Of course that may cost more than a new one.

What are your symptoms of the bent spindle.  

He show you some measurements?

Don't need to repack the bearings etc? that axle looked a bit naked on the spindle side.

No on the measurements, and for it being straightened, im not sure, probably but it wouldn't be 100%.

The front right tire points to the outside some as if it were trying to make a right turn. Depending on how it is parked it is slightly visible. I have still been pulling it until I can find a solution, doesn't seem to be wearing that tire too much..yet. We usually pull it to a lake that's about 70 miles away and all turnpike. We have lakes and rivers much closer that we hit during the week, but when we head up to our place I get worried about the tire heating up more from extra friction on already hot pavement from 100* temps in OK.  

edit: I don't see anywhere on the axle to mount the wheel and bolt it on...?

Edited by triscadek
Just now, triscadek said:

yuck... PITA? shop said $200 to swap if I bring him the axle...

man-card.jpg

;)    Swapping the hubs is the same as repacking your bearings in terms of how much work it is.  Since you have a 16 year old boat I'm assuming you've done that before.  You'll want a set of new hub seals (same as if you had been repacking your bearings)

haha... its 16yo yes but no I have not had to do them. this is my second season with the boat and previous owner had them done. Between working on cars, bikes, boats, tractors, kids, wives... I mean wife lol... Im tired of fixing stuff. Id rather drop it off on a weekday, pick it back up and enjoy my weekend without having something ELSE to fix.