Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ronix Koal Powertail fin options...

Cmb396

So I started out the summer surfing a LF fish tail 4'11, quickly moved to a LF fish tail 4'6", both of which came with the boat that I bought, and then the bought a Ronix Koal Powertail 4'11". I chose the 4'11" bc I am 6', 215lbs. Now, after a few days on it, I feel that I have a pretty good hang of getting push, staying in the pocket and some carving.

I have the 3 fin set up with 2.3" on the sides and the 2.9" in the middle. What differences will I notice with removing either the center fin, leaving the two outside, or vice versa, removing the two outter leaving the center fin? I'm no where near ready to try a 360, but would like to start "sliding" (little light on the lingo) the board around more on top of the wave eventually working into doing a 180, and even switching sides.

My boat is a 13 LSV w/SG, 750's in the rear PnP, a 350lb in the coffin, and either passengers or a 1k lb bow sac for the front if theres only a few of us. Thanks for any info on what a different fin configuration will allow me to do!! 

URL]URL]http://1DB9813D-A65D-45E9-95E5-9BFF8BD5D34A_zps

The two outer fins help "drive" the board and make your pumps more effective, they also keep your board stable when you carve.   I have that same board and would rideally it with only the two outside fins, I increased the size to 4.3" fins.  Riding with just the center would loosen the board up significantly but would also not be quite as fast, due to lost drive from outside fins. 

I would go in stages, remove center first ride just 2 outer fins, if it is still not loose enough remove outside and put center in.

~Joe