Sign in to follow this  
Boatman

Blown Head Gasket

Boatman

I would suggest to everyone to do a compression check once a season just as a precaution. At the begining of last season my Echelon (394 Hours) ran perfect the first time out. The second time out it was missing like crazy. A compression check revealed no compression in two cylinders. The head gasket had blown between two cylidrers and had eroded a hole the size of a big pencil between the two. Half in the block and half in the head. Even though this erosion had to have taken place over a long period of time, the engine ran great until all at once I had problems. I keep thinking if I had just done a quick compression check once a year I may have picked up the problem before I had engine damage. A head gasket is a lot cheaper than a remanufactured engine. Cry.gif

Boatman

chathamsolutions

Sorry man. But now you'll have a brand new engine :)

88Skier

Do you run in salt water? That sounds pretty unusual for a fresh water boat.

Sunsetter95
Do you run in salt water? That sounds pretty unusual for a fresh water boat.

If you had ever lost an impeller and the engine got hot, you could have weakened the head gasket. That is what happened to mine, but the engine had seen better days so I had an engine built. Compression test once a year is a good idea.

aneal000

I guess you can't just JB Weld it, huh? 1/2 joking