Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 23 LSV transmission/Solenoid issue

Been a member here for a pretty good while but mostly lurk.  I have a 2014 23 LSV that has been problem free until this weekend on Lake Ouachita in Arkansas.  Issue first appeared while running about 30 mph when the transmission popped out of gear and started revving the engine.  I immediately shifted into neutral and killed the boat.  Checked the transmission and v drive fluid and both were normal color and appeared to be fine.  Started the boat again and it would periodically pop out of gear for the rest of the day.  I don't think anything is wrong with the transmission.  Was thinking maybe possible shifter mechanism problems or transmission solenoid issues.   My guy can't look at boat until late in the week and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced any similar issues and if so what was the remedy.  Love the site.  Thanks in advance. 

curious what you ended up finding with the transmission popping out of gear.  Had a similar issue with my 2015 23LSV this weekend. it's at the shop now.  Fluids looked good.  Mine started with a transmission warning then progressively got worse.  Had to be towed in.  Very disappointing but hoping it's a quick fi. 

On 2/4/2016 at 6:23 PM, alpensurf23 said:

Only told that new hardware with better tolerances being sent. Will get specifics and keep crew posted.

• 1 year later...

has anyone else had this issue? I have a 2014 LSV w/monsoon and my trans started popping out of gear while under load recently, called Malibu and the guy said he thought I had a weak forward solenoid. I've ordered them in and I'm hoping to go up the lake later this week and try to install. I'll have a short timeframe to figure it out, and it will be hot - has anyone done this? anyone have pics of where to find these two solenoids on the transmission? 

thanks!
Chris

@Chris Did you read the thread above, in link posted by Old Jeep from back in 2016? Reading thru thread myself, sounds like your issue may end up being the entire throttle assembly, quite a few people experienced the same symptoms you described on the 2014 Livorsi throttles...Hopefully you can fix it with the new solenoid but may be good to familiarize yourself with that info in case it does not,and you need to call them back to remind them of past issues so you don't start throwing pointless money at it and just end up having to replace the throttle assembly in the end. 

47 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

@Chris Did you read the thread above, in link posted by Old Jeep from back in 2016? Reading thru thread myself, sounds like your issue may end up being the entire throttle assembly, quite a few people experienced the same symptoms you described on the 2014 Livorsi throttles...Hopefully you can fix it with the new solenoid but may be good to familiarize yourself with that info in case it does not,and you need to call them back to remind them of past issues so you don't start throwing pointless money at it and just end up having to replace the throttle assembly in the end. 

^^^^^this

or check the wire harness connections back at the engine, had a buddy with a 14’ 409 that had a loose connection that caused all sort of intermittent issues

I read then replied to this thread after speaking to someone at Malibu. He sounded quite sure of his diagnosis, so I thought it reasonable to try that route first. I now have the part and am trying to find someone at Indmar to confirm there is no difference between forward and reverse solenoids and hopefully get some direction as to where they're located and how to tell which one is forward/reverse. Also at $175 after fees I'm hoping to try things "cheapest parts first".  

My symptoms seem to be different from the ones listed in both the above and the linked threads. Mine pops out of gear under load on a intermittent basis. It starts fine, runs fine while in gear 99% of the time even at speed. But the last time it popped out of gear, I did not pull back on the throttle and it lurched back into gear before I pulled back to nuetral. Then it went back into gear and ran fine for several miles while I dumped water. Our first thought was speed control/paddlewheel but the gear lurching seems to point to trans issues and the solenoid diagnosis from Malibu sure seems to make sense to me. 

Just hung up with Indmar and he said either solenoid is bad, or i have a wire heating up and loosing current or the shifter/throttle is not sending a consistent signal. 

I plan to replace solenoid and see what happens. I have the dealer scheduled for 7/6 if I can't solve it. 

any other suggestions appreciated !

16 hours ago, Stevo said:

^^^^^this

or check the wire harness connections back at the engine, had a buddy with a 14’ 409 that had a loose connection that caused all sort of intermittent issues

yes, thanks, that will be my first task. I would love to find a loose connection !! 

• 1 month later...

I have a 2014 23 LSV w about 320 hours on it.  When the boat is in drive at 5 mph, 20 mph, 30 mph..... surfing, not surfing, cruise on, cruise off all of the sudden it acts like it goes into neutral for 1/4 to 1/2 of a second and then goes right back into gear.  It happens so fast you can surf or ski right through it, but you feel the boat lose that power very short term. 

So I brought it to the dealer and they first replaced the plugs and distributor cap saying it was their first cheapest ($400) option.  Was lucky enough to get the boat back in 1 day and hauled it home the next day and dropped it in the water.  Sorry to say the same problem right away.  I read on line about this issue and asked them about the throttle cable, they said they put a new one of them in too, so that wasn't the problem.  

Hauled boat back in.  They said  they would get after it right away since that wasn't the issue the first time.  This time they said "Well if that isn't it then its the transmission."  So i told them "No choice I guess, replace the transmission."  That was a $5,000 bill.  After 3 weeks of waiting for the repair we finally got the call it was ready.  Pulled the boat back home (only 1 hr 30 minutes one way and $30 in gas) and dropped it in the water.  One hour of use and 3 times it popped out just like it did before.  I guess i should get my old transmission back and a $5,000 credit right??????

Not sure what to do.  It feels more like an electrical or computer issue than a transmission issue to me.  

I got mine back yesterday. 

They replaced the throttle assembly and both solenoids and  all is well so far. 

I feel for you, i was considering trading mine in. But I looked at X23 and XT23 yesterday and they seem significantly smaller inside. The X46 was very nice but not the right combo enough for me to trade. 

Good luck! 

On 6/26/2018 at 10:54 PM, Infinitysurf said:

You were right! 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Chris said:

I feel for you, i was considering trading mine in. But I looked at X23 and XT23 yesterday and they seem significantly smaller inside. The X46 was very nice but not the right combo enough for me to trade. 

Good luck! 

Lol... were you going to trade it in because you had this trans solenoid problem? Do you think MC uses a different throttle/solenoid mechanism?  These symptoms can happen on ANY newer wakeboat, just not Malibu.

3 hours ago, Fman said:

Lol... were you going to trade it in because you had this trans solenoid problem? Do you think MC uses a different throttle/solenoid mechanism?  These symptoms can happen on ANY newer wakeboat, just not Malibu.

Yes, I was ready to move to a dealer closer to my lake house. Still might.....

10 hours ago, Chris said:

Yes, I was ready to move to a dealer closer to my lake house. Still might.....

I can understand that, dealer makes all the difference.  Hopefully you can get your LSV figured out.

• 11 months later...
On 8/5/2018 at 12:02 PM, Chris said:
On 8/5/2018 at 7:43 AM, Chris said:

Good luck! 

How did that fix hold up for you?  Was the throttle assembly an expensive part or hard fix? Im having very similar symptoms right now and trying hard to avoid the new tranny option. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 1:44 AM, PNWoke said:

sorry if I'm late to reply, honestly was holding my breath on my boat this summer, but daughter off to college, son at football, golf, etc... and we haven't put 15 hours on it I bet... dealer can make all the difference as I'm sure has already been said more than necessary.... I *love* this boat, the lines, the ergonomics, the metalflake, the stereo, the *value*, and so on, and so on...I really do not like the angular lines of the new Gs, almost like Cadillac was for a while... just too sharp and "harsh"... vs. the smooth, flowing lines of the malibus.... i can make a crazy good wake with a few people and can go 20 feet with a lot of people - none of that is worth a **** if I .... nevermind, rambling... GORgeous boat, LOVE it, the $1200 throttle was apparently seriously a great deal....waaaaaay cheaper than spending another 40k for a G23... seriously these are the best value boats out there that I'm aware of --- incredible wake with 6 or more crew... just incredible... don't know why I expected a hand made thing of this complexity to be trouble free.... I should just appreciate what it does when its happy.... .love my LSV ! 

On 8/9/2019 at 6:52 PM, Chris said:

sorry if I'm late to reply, honestly was holding my breath on my boat this summer, but daughter off to college, son at football, golf, etc... 

Great to hear! I just got mine back today with a livorsi throttle refresh.  I wasn't able to run it yet but my mechanic ran it for 2 hours last night in downtown Pdx.  Says it ran perfectly.  I hadn't noticed that there was some slop in the original throttle until I felt this new one.  Very tight, almost no wiggle in neutral.  The new throttle is all black which I think looks cleaner than the polished aluminum that was original.  Its been windy here lately but I'm getting the fam up early tomorrow to catch the morning glass.  

• 7 months later...

I have a 2014 Wakesetter 23 LSV , had a problem this past weekend.  Put boat in the water for the first time this year,  backed trailer with boat on down the ramp, into the water far enough to start motor.  Let idle for a few and then back into the water and floated off trailer.  Wife in the boat to catch the dock as it was still idling.  Boat went full throttle and in drive launched itself back on shore and stopped when it hit the trailer as I was pulling out of ramp.  Several witness at the dock said they saw my wife at back of boat , which lucky she didnt get hurt.  Boat unfortunately took a beating on the cement ramp. I get out of truck to run back to boat which is still running full throttle, hit power button and battery switch and look at shiftier which is still in NEUTRAL.  Has anyone heard of this before or had this problem??  I have owned the boat for 1 year, had 0 problems with it last year and had it out every weekend in the summer.