Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

DIY how to Refurbish weathered Teak Swim Platform

After 14 years of being in the sun all summer or swim platform was taking a beating. I don't think we even oiled it for the last 3 years. It was grey and tired and starting to warp in a few areas and certainly weathered. 

I did lots of research about sanding and not sanding and basically if it is still smooth then no need to sand. Try not to sand unless you really need to. 

1. Remove swim platform, as you will want to refinish both top and bottom. Place a large trash can upside down on the drive way to make a fast table and keep the mess at bay

2. You will want latex gloves, hose, large plastic stiff bristle brush (target), West marine teak cleaner and brightener combined bottle $20 (goes a long way, could do this twice with one bottle), west marine teak oil $20.

3. Wet swim platform, apply cleaner as directed, scrub, scrub, scrub and keep scrubbing. The scrubbing takes the grey out and I probably scrubbed for 45mins. It was labor intensive but if you aren't going to do this part, the teal oil will never penetrate properly. I did two applications of cleaner and scrubbing and rinse with the hose in-between. 

4. Let it dry 24 hrs. 

5. Apply teak oil with a kitchen sponge. Let it dry. Apply it again. 

Took 3-4 hrs but all in all, I think it turned out pretty good and will protect it from warping further. Out boat sits in the water 3-4 months a year. 

BEFORE

6D44AF7E-9B46-4AFF-9872-B59AF1889F1D_zps

AFTER

4DD07149-6788-4776-80FF-7F064018B099_zps

IMG_4889%202_zpscghnavkg.jpg

Edited by Air Tahoe
Added photo
  • Like 2

I recently refinished a badly weathered Mastercraft teak platform. Acting on a tip from a friend, I did a 5 minute pass with steel wool and applied Star Brite Tropical Teak Oil. It needed nothing else. Amazing. We'll see how it holds up.

• 2 months later...

The refinish didn't hold up long. After a few weeks in the sun, it is grey again. But at least it was protected better then when it was so dry. 

I guess the next step will be to sand it down this winter. Will report back. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If the teak is very weathered you should give it a sanding. I don't let it get bad and I oil it through the season. If my boat is going to sit for two or three days I sometimes just wipe it down with teak oil. In the end it looks nearly new. The teak can't be gray and stained.

I used tropical sealer 2 full season ago. It looks like the day I finished it. I used to sand and oil mine at least once a year, for like 20 years now at least. Never again. The sealer gives it the perfect finish and it stays.

Steve B.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

tropical sealer

The Starbrite stuff?  I might have to try iit this year although my boat is moored offshore for the whole summer, platform uncovered.

I am finishing up another StarBrite Teak Sealer application. I’ve gone this route for five years. I got tired of constantly oiling the teak only for it to be greyed out in a few days. I wish the color was not so orange with the “classic” but it is still better than grey. 
Any suggestions on the hinge for the wake plate door? It gouges skis and boards. I’m cautious but kids and friends aren’t so aware. Maybe a rubber strip? 
Sunsetter LXI

9 minutes ago, Philnino said:

I am finishing up another StarBrite Teak Sealer application. I’ve gone this route for five years. I got tired of constantly oiling the teak only for it to be greyed out in a few days. I wish the color was not so orange with the “classic” but it is still better than grey. 
Any suggestions on the hinge for the wake plate door? It gouges skis and boards. I’m cautious but kids and friends aren’t so aware. Maybe a rubber strip? 
Sunsetter LXI

Inset the hinge so that it is below the top of the wood.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, HalleD said:

Sounds like the majority believe in the Starbrite 3 step method.  Is that right? Thanks!

Any good teak cleaner will work.  I didn't sand my platform or anything, I just cleaned it.  I wanted as much texture as I could get.

I'm a fan of teak sealant after a good cleaning.  Very durable, and very few touchups needed.  Part of that is because of the texture.