Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub not working

tRoybaines

Sub was working fine the last 2 days, then today nothing.  Blue lights are all on, all speakers working, just no sub.  I have a 2012 VLX with the stock Rockford Fosgate amps.  What can I do to check if it is the sub or the head unit?

Unfortunately I have had to replace 2 of those subs, under warranty thankfully. The coils went out in both, but I would check the remote bass switch under the ignition switch first to see if it got rotated off, then the sub wires from the amp to the sub, followed by the connection (it is labeled) to the RFX 3000 behind the amp board. If you do get it working again place your hand behind the front fascia while playing a bass heavy song. You will feel the air being moved and will know why you need to replace the sub box!

Thx for the advice. Do you mean the punch dial just to the left of the dash or something underneath the dash near the power button? As for the air movement comment are you meaning that there is to much air movement and that is why the coil failed?   Should I be sealing it?

My RF sub remote is under the key yours may be elsewhere. It was explained on here that basically and I am paraphrasing here, that with a poorly sealed un-ported box that the speaker will or could have a lack of control or over travel for a lack of a better description and prematurely fail which may have been my problem with the 2 failed ones. Just as importantly to the sound of the sub it will not be nearly as responsive or sound as good as a properly sealed sub box. I replaced mine with a home built, properly sized and sealed sub box and noticed a night and day improvement using the same RF sub!

Edited by wdr