Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tongue won't fold - 2016 Malibu

hethj7

We have a new Malibu trailer and the tongue already seems stuck.  Any tips?   I knocked it with a hammer and 2x4 a little trying to get it to move, but it seems stuck solid.  I've read some horror stories of these before, but never on a brand new trailer.  

I would start with loosening the hinge bolt, then hit it with your purse! ? No reason for it not to work other than it somehow got damaged in transit before you took delivery. I would be all other the dealer if that doesn't work! A thought just occurred, new towers, new this, new that, does it have some unseen lawyer approved locking mechanism for when you forget to put the pin in the tongue?

Edited by wdr

There is some rust already by that hinge, so maybe it did get hit.  I didn't notice at delivery, but already emailed my dealer yesterday about the missing paint and rust spot.  I hadn't thought that it may have been hit and affected the tongue - the rust spot is fairly small, but right at the that point.  

I was afraid to swing my handbag any harder in case I was just making the bind worse!  :)

Hinge bolt just needs to be loosened up.  Same thing happened with our trailer. Easy fix with a wench and socket.

Sweet, I almost tried that, but am embarrassed to admit I couldn't readily find a socket large enough.  Most of my sets got up to 3/4" and that must be 15/16" or 1".  

I can't even get the hinge pin out on my trailer, 2016 Malibu trailer as well. I'm going to try the loosening trick to see if maybe its just getting it in a bind

• 2 weeks later...

my pin was quite tight too.  Used a hammer to hammer it out.  tongue was stiff at first, then I went back and forth about 20 times and its "normal" now.  pin also slides in and out easily.  It's just bound from being new.  It will loosen up.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Lift up on the tongue where it connects to the tow vehicle, and the pressure is relieved off the large pin and out it comes easily.  No need to beat it up.  

15 minutes ago, SKI LVR said:

Lift up on the tongue where it connects to the tow vehicle, and the pressure is relieved off the large pin and out it comes easily.  No need to beat it up.  

If that works then you have some slack in your folding mechanism.  These guys are talking brand new trailers and I'd be willing to bet that they painted the inside of the pin tubes.

My 2016 trailer came with the pivot bolts fully tightened so the tongue would not swing.  There was significant rust inside the tube and tongue.  I loosened the pivot bolt which freed up the assembly to swing.  Then sprayed the entire assembly inside with rust inhibitor penetrating oil.  Once oiled removed the pin which had rust on it.  Buffed it off.  Re-oiled.   So far it has been working fine since.  

Edited by ORMailbuboater