Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tangle free rope

evanlaczi

Bought a nice 0 stretch rope thin line problem is it loves to tangle. Any tips to keep it tangle free when storing or pulling out?

Coil it by pulling an arms length section of a time and letting it get into its natural coil. If you wrap it around something like from hand to elbow, it will want to tangle. 

Figure 8 wrap around hand and elbow. Rope does not twist. Just keep the ends from falling through a loop and the rest of the rope will not tangle. Throw the handle and don't  worry about it.

8 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Figure 8 wrap around hand and elbow. Rope does not twist. Just keep the ends from falling through a loop and the rest of the rope will not tangle. Throw the handle and don't  worry about it.

I've never done the figure 8, but just normal wrapping around hand and elbow will tangle it quick for me. 

A couple of things, first, if others looking for suggestions for a rope less prone to tangling I strongly suggest they get the Hyperlite A-Line.  Poly coated and soft in you hands.  Love that rope.

Second, to avoid tangling try this:

The guy with the funny accent is right.  Let it coil, roll your wrist, and squeeze the twists out of it as you wind.  Also, it helps to wind it in the same direction every time.  If you wound it nicely holding the rope in your right hand and coiling with your left, do that every time.  Reversing this is sure to cause twists.

16 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

The guy with the funny accent is right.  Let it coil, roll your wrist, and squeeze the twists out of it as you wind.  Also, it helps to wind it in the same direction every time.  If you wound it nicely holding the rope in your right hand and coiling with your left, do that every time.  Reversing this is sure to cause twists.

That's why nobody asks me out - i'm left handed and wind the rope bass akwards - works really well for me though

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Rednucleus said:

That's why nobody asks me out - i'm left handed and wind the rope bass akwards - works really well for me though

ha. My kids coil left handed now. When I want to mess with my family I take the twist ties off the bread and twist them back left handed!!

Edited by itznowonder
  • Like 2

I will tell you what a friend showed me....I have been doing it ever since and the rope has never tangled.  All we do is drop the handle  end of the rope into a storage bin (I use the molded in cooler area on my boat for rope storage since it doesn't keep anything cool lol) and then just feed the rope in on top of it little by little and letting it just lay naturally however it wants to.  Seems like a sure fire way to get a tangled rope but it comes right back out perfectly for me every time.   Give it a try.  I used to coil it around the handle or loop it and then secure with Velcro.  I would often get tangles using those methods.

1 minute ago, DUKENO1 said:

I will tell you what a friend showed me....I have been doing it ever since and the rope has never tangled.  All we do is drop the handle  end of the rope into a storage bin (I use the molded in cooler area on my boat for rope storage since it doesn't keep anything cool lol) and then just feed the rope in on top of it little by little and letting it just lay naturally however it wants to.  Seems like a sure fire way to get a tangled rope but it comes right back out perfectly for me every time.   Give it a try.  I used to coil it around the handle or loop it and then secure with Velcro.  I would often get tangles using those methods.

Yep, just don't lay the end on top of the rope pile - lay it over the edge of the compartment or something. And use the figure 8 method when taking the rope out of the boat.  Never a tangle, never a knot in the rope.  If you have "that age" it works for tubes as well.  Just pile the rope into the tube starting with the end that's attached to the tube.  When you get to the boat end of the rope tie it to one of the tube handles.  To deploy just untie the boat end and attach to the boat and throw the tube in the water.