Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got a few questions on new boat

hethj7

We picked up our 2016 23LSV today and I already have a few questions. 

1.When plugging the iphone into the USB in the glovebox, the stereo just continues to say the USB is reading.  Is this normal? I expected I could leave my phone in there to charge and still access my playlist via the 7" screen using USB.

2.  Where does the strap go on the very front tip of the cover.  

C20A698F-7C0A-47EC-8737-0EE71385E965_zps

3. Dealer didn't mount the windshield mount cipa mirror.  I figured no big deal but can't figure it out.  I think I may be missing a bracket or something.  Anyone got a few photos of theirs?

4.  The stereo is underwhelming at best.   I would be surprised, but you all forewarned buyers how bad the stock system is.  It really is embarrassing for Malibu  My sub is basically non-existent.  No real question here, just a statement.  Off to re-read threads on getting the most out of the stock setup  

We've used the strap on the front when putting the cover on when the boat is in the water. We connect it through where you have the trailer hooked up in the picture. Also thought that the sub is non existent and have tried everything to get it "louder". 

You should chek the gain setting on your amps.  A red sticker covers the gains reads do not remove voids warranty.  Peel it back to adjust. Mine were all turned all the way down.  

You didn't say if you have the tower mount or windshield mount. Here is the windshield mount. It's weak at best being just a clamp on. I had it mounted on the walkthrough window but at almost every position it hits the other side of the observer window frame. I have it mounted on the observer side now but it hangs over to the walkway. I've never ben a fan of the tower mount but is an option. I left them a little bigger but the forum software repositions them for me, Sideways!

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG

6 hours ago, Ahaspert said:

We've used the strap on the front when putting the cover on when the boat is in the water. We connect it through where you have the trailer hooked up in the picture. Also thought that the sub is non existent and have tried everything to get it "louder". 

Yep, that would have been useful today.  I didn't do that and it was tough to get the cover on in our slip. Thanks for the tip!

6 hours ago, Ahaspert said:

6 hours ago, Web said:

You should chek the gain setting on your amps.  A red sticker covers the gains reads do not remove voids warranty.  Peel it back to adjust. Mine were all turned all the way down.  

Already started that process.  Gonna take a while to get it all right.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

You didn't say if you have the tower mount or windshield mount. Here is the windshield mount. It's weak at best being just a clamp on. I had it mounted on the walkthrough window but at almost every position it hits the other side of the observer window frame. I have it mounted on the observer side now but it hangs over to the walkway. I've never ben a fan of the tower mount but is an option. I left them a little bigger but the forum software repositions them for me, Sideways!

IMG_7525.JPG

IMG_7526.JPG

Thanks for the photos. I mentioned the windshield mount, but mine looks nothing like that. Mine looks like a cheapo version of the CIPA and definitely appears to be missing hardware.  Your arm may be the one my dealer mentioned, but the mirror was one of the last things I was worried about during pickup.  Guess I should have slowed down and had them mount it.  Oh well, i will get it figured out.

@Ronnie are you running the factory stereo?  If so, care to post picture of your amp settings if you have already tuned them?  It would be a good starting point for me. I have 2 Rev 8s and the 12" sub. Not sure if that matches you or not.  

20 hours ago, NCSurfing said:

I have the same issue with the mirror and still can't sort it. Drop in an update once you figure it out?

From the beginning, we bought an entirely new setup for the mirror. New clamp and mirror itself. 

A new one is likely in our future, but I'd like to get the one I have mounted to be legal for now and save a few bucks.    

Amazing how a new boat is like a new house.   Even though you live in a house, a new one always brings a ton of expenses like new trash cans, shower curtains, etc.   The boat is the same - we had a boat, but now it is speaker sox, bigger bumpers, surfboards, etc.  

• Like 3

Here is a picture of a factory mirror I sold with all the parts. The 2 chrome mounts screw to the winshield frame and is permanent. Most people mount it on the center section and it has to be closed underway, don't drill too deep or you will crack the windshield. The bar then attaches to the mirror and the thumb screws to the winshield  mounts  

B89FB1FA-CB4C-4A13-9073-428CC4D99499_zps

I started using the PTM with the windshield mount in 2012, so never had the factory CIPA installed after that. I tried all positions and preferred it at the helm left of center, as far left to not extend into the walkway. 

Beautiful boat Heith, Congratulations! 

10 hours ago, thtrog said:

Here is a picture of a factory mirror I sold with all the parts. The 2 chrome mounts screw to the winshield frame and is permanent. Most people mount it on the center section and it has to be closed underway, don't drill too deep or you will crack the windshield. The bar then attaches to the mirror and the thumb screws to the winshield  mounts  

B89FB1FA-CB4C-4A13-9073-428CC4D99499_zps

I started using the PTM with the windshield mount in 2012, so never had the factory CIPA installed after that. I tried all positions and preferred it at the helm left of center, as far left to not extend into the walkway. 

Beautiful boat Heith, Congratulations! 

Thanks for the info! That is the exact mirror I have and apparently I'm not missing parts, even though the screws to mount it to the frame aren't there - I just never imagined you had to screw it into the windshield frame.   I hate the idea of that, especially if I don't get it in the right spot the first time.  I may be mirror shopping soon. 

So the billet one from above comes standard on newer boats .. not sure if there was a change or what.  My boat was delivered in March and had the screw on CIPA, but just a couple months later folks started getting the new one which is a PTM.  I got a quote from my dealer for $350.  I ordered this one and although PTM says it doesn't work with my boat .. it works just fine.  On the center window, you can still open it.  Its not perfect but for ~$190 .. I prefer it over the screw on one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G3LH1IY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MSRP '16 mirror options...

Windshield mount (includes mount);

PTM 14" Black Composite $238.00

PTM Panoramic 140 Degree, Billet $520.00

Tower Mount;

PTM Panoramic 140 Degree Black $630

PTM Panoramic Charcoal, Dark Blue, Indy Red or White $648

Ronnie, I think you are missing the option apparently both Pauley and I got - it is just a "mirror and w/s mount" on the build sheet, with no pricing shown so I assume it is the standard model that gets included if nothing else is selected.  It is the CIPA mirror that thtrog posted that screws into the frame. 

I'm looking at the PTM windshield mount options.   Any real difference between the mirror of the PCC-140 and VR-140 besides the billet look?  I'll let my wife decide on the look - I just want to be able to view the riders and have thumbscrew adjustment, especially to fold it down to get the cover on. 

PCC-140

https://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-pcc140-mirror-combo.html?gclid=CKOcsoD7pc0CFcdhfgod46gMww

VR-140

https://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-vr140-pro-mirror.html

with this mount - https://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-zxr200-windshield-bracket.html

Yeah, pretty sure the one's I listed are the "Options". Maybe your's is the Standard mirror that comes with the boat with no options. I don't like the option we got with the PTM. Mostly because it's so hard to adjust but I've had to retighten the "clamp" on the windshield several times in almost 50 hours. The other thing is that you can't reach up and adjust it. You need to get out of the seat, loosen the knob at the back of the mirror. Sit back down and hope you guessed that you adjusted it correctly. If not you need to get up and guess again until you get it right.

The mount you show is the mount I have.

13 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Ronnie, I think you are missing the option apparently both Pauley and I got - it is just a "mirror and w/s mount" on the build sheet, with no pricing shown so I assume it is the standard model that gets included if nothing else is selected.  It is the CIPA mirror that thtrog posted that screws into the frame. 

I'm looking at the PTM windshield mount options.   Any real difference between the mirror of the PCC-140 and VR-140 besides the billet look?  I'll let my wife decide on the look - I just want to be able to view the riders and have thumbscrew adjustment, especially to fold it down to get the cover on. 

PCC-140

https://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-pcc140-mirror-combo.html?gclid=CKOcsoD7pc0CFcdhfgod46gMww

VR-140

https://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-vr140-pro-mirror.html

with this mount - https://www.wakemakers.com/ptm-edge-zxr200-windshield-bracket.html

The PCC-140 is the combo of the VR-140 mirror with the mount you posted in black plastic instead of billet.  The billet mount is way nicer looking but the same otherwise.

Edit: That bracket is kinda confusing if you haven't used one before (I had to email PTM cause I thought mine was messed up).  The thumbscrew on the mount doesn't fold the mirror up and down.  You tighten it down all the way, then you push the mirror down into the "locked channel".  When you want to fold it down, you pull the mirror up in the "unlocked channel" and fold it down.  Just thought I would save you some headache incase you were new to the mirror and bracket.

Edited by t a
edit

Thanks for the info - the wife actually likes the look of the black mount since the frame is black and there is no other billet in that same area, so we'll order it.  Thanks for the info on folding it too - I'll keep that in mind as we go to use it. 

On a side note - looks like we got a factory CIPA mirror available if anyone wants it. 

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah, pretty sure the one's I listed are the "Options". Maybe your's is the Standard mirror that comes with the boat with no options. I don't like the option we got with the PTM. Mostly because it's so hard to adjust but I've had to retighten the "clamp" on the windshield several times in almost 50 hours. The other thing is that you can't reach up and adjust it. You need to get out of the seat, loosen the knob at the back of the mirror. Sit back down and hope you guessed that you adjusted it correctly. If not you need to get up and guess again until you get it right.

The mount you show is the mount I have.

It may have the shortcomings you list on adjusting it, but I don't see any better options (at least not at a somewhat reasonable price point - assuming the $300 mirror I just bought is a price point mirror :cry:)

All of the info thus far has been incredibly helpful.   Now to work out a few lingering issues with the dealer and we'll be set (ballast screen got stuck with some extra icons on it already :(, but still functions fine).  

Edited by hethj7

Here is another option that I picked up instead of putting holes in the window frame with that stock mirror. Was $120 or so out the door for mount and mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9V1RJG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVILBOQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think @shawndoggy posted it at some point.

When the boat is on the trailer, I use the trailer front strap mount.  Just in front of the strap that keeps the boat on the trailer there is a name plate.  Go down and around the name plate and back to the clip.  When the boat is on the hoist I use the front ring on the boat.  

Same issue with the USB.  Bluetooth with the Malibu brain is the only way I have gotten to listen to iTunes lists (old phone I leave in the boat).  My understanding is that everything in the glove box is for the Rockford head unit.

As for the mirror, I kept my tower mirror from my 2010, but with rev10's on the tower can't see surfer on goofy side.  Looking to get one of the mirrors above for other side of windshield.

I think the solution to the USB port is to get a charging cable made from Patrick Industures, but am not 100% sure. It still baffles me Malibu sells such a poor excuse for a stereo.  No zone control, no iPhone USB support, a horrible sub box, and amps so detuned they are barely noticeable. Oh, and the rear transom remote can't skip tracks.   

On 7/9/2016 at 8:23 PM, hethj7 said:

1.When plugging the iphone into the USB in the glovebox, the stereo just continues to say the USB is reading.  Is this normal? I expected I could leave my phone in there to charge and still access my playlist via the 7" screen using USB.

You will need a special cable to play the iPhone but it is using the pin connection on the RF unit in the glove box.   http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/ipodec  or ipodec2 (lighting).  

I still have not ordered the cable for use with an iPod or iPhone.  Strictly using BT.   The USB slot accepts a thumb drive or SD slot for music but I have found them to be worthless.  No way to search folders or see Artist, Titles, etc...     Not user friendly at all.