Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Be safe and live life to the fullest

jbower

Random post but want everyone to enjoy the time on the water they have. I know somethings are frustrating like having the wife drive or inexperienced people drive the boat. Just please enjoy every moment even if it isn't a moment worth enjoying. 

Someone drowned on my lake tonight.  Nothing released on the news so far but it happened in front a someone's house I know. Apparently the guy was out with family and stopped and jumped in and never returned. They finally found him after a few hours they are assuming he had a heart attack. Just please live everyday like it is your last. 

• Like 2

Sad story...I try to do that every day.  I tell myself don't sweat the the small stuff, think macro not micro, but it's hard to do, life always seems to get in the way!  Stories like this are great reminders to be greatful for the things we have...family, friends, a roof over our heads and our health!  

Thanks for posting.  It certainly puts things in perspective. 

Update the story I got was partially wrong. They still haven't found him. They suspended the search last night and resumed this morning. 

12 hours ago, jbower said:

Random post but want everyone to enjoy the time on the water they have. I know somethings are frustrating like having the wife drive or inexperienced people drive the boat. Just please enjoy every moment even if it isn't a moment worth enjoying. 

Someone drowned on my lake tonight.  Nothing released on the news so far but it happened in front a someone's house I know. Apparently the guy was out with family and stopped and jumped in and never returned. They finally found him after a few hours they are assuming he had a heart attack. Just please live everyday like it is your last. 

Very true and a sad story.

I'm curious, any particular reason why you choose this specific statement in the title 'life to the fullest'?

5 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

I saved this awhile back and this seems like an appropriate place for it. Here is some good info on spotting someone who is drowning. Stay safe and bring em all home...

Moderators,

Is there any place on the forum to make @Pnwrider's entire post a sticky for future reference? This information is invaluable and in my opinion is one of the best resources a boating forum could have.

2 hours ago, RedOwl said:

Moderators,

Is there any place on the forum to make @Pnwrider's entire post a sticky for future reference? This information is invaluable and in my opinion is one of the best resources a boating forum could have.

We can do it a couple of ways. You can copy and paste it in a new thread with the appropriate title and I can pin it or I can do it as a new thread. Your choice as far as thread author goes.

Pnwrider,  Very good post!   Thanks .    I had training on this way back in my Boy Scouts days, I don't remember it being as well  said but some I do remember.

We have a big annual lake association meeting next month I think I will make copies and have them available.  Hollywood has a way of training us to look at things so out of reality!   

Edited by Sixball
46 minutes ago, jbower said:

No specific reason for the title of the post. Had a few beers in me and only thing I could think of to put I guess lol

Sorry, should have been more clear. If we want the Drowning Symptoms in a Pinned thread, it needs to be in a thread by it's self and titled as so. The title of this thread is perfectly fine. If @Pnwrider wants it posted under his user name, he will need to start that thread. Then I can pin it for him.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Sorry, should have been more clear. If we want the Drowning Symptoms in a Pinned thread, it needs to be in a thread by it's self and titled as so. The title of this thread is perfectly fine. If @Pnwrider wants it posted under his user name, he will need to start that thread. Then I can pin it for him.

@Ronnie you want it in general discussion? 

Update still haven't found the guy. Spoke to sheriffs today and they think he is 150+ foot deep. Feel bad for the family not having any closure yet. This is the deepest lake in Indiana and they say it's 230 ft deep but they also say that hole is full of silt and could be 300+ foot deep. There is also supposedly an old war plane in the lake somewhere that they have never found. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on this 

my previous post about the depth of the lake was untrue. They say it is 130 ft deep if you look it up on the Internet. Local dnr thought the man was 130-150 ft so I guess no one knows for sure how deep this lake is. On the other hand they found the guy last night in 70 ft of water not far from where he went in. I seen the dive team at the ramp around 3pm and they found him around 9 pm. 

Wouldn't want that dive team job. We've had several drownings the past few years on our lake and each victim has eventually surfaced right about the same spot they went under despite lake currents etc. Takes about 14 days to occur.