Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you lock your BoatMate trailer?

Boaty2point0

Hi All!

My old trailer had a place where I could put a padlock through it to prevent the trailer from being unhitched from my truck or from having a 2" ball attached to it if it was unhooked from my truck.  No such feature on my new Malibu trailer (made by BoatMate I think).  Do any of you know of a product or have a method to lock a trailer like this when it is and isn't attached to your tow vehicle?

IMG_8376_zpszgs0quzq.jpeg

I use THIS when not connected to the truck. I don't lock when connected to the truck but THIS is designed for the UFP style coupler. So it would just take the place of your existing pin.

I pull the pin on the folding tongue and throw it in the truck. Put a uhaul style padlock through the top hole on the folding tongue that I took the pin out of and then a regular receiver lock. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Technicallyabu said:

I pull the pin on the folding tongue and throw it in the truck. Put a uhaul style padlock through the top hole on the folding tongue that I took the pin out of and then a regular receiver lock. 

I do something similar as well when we vacation and I don't have the trailer attached to the truck.  No sense at home since the whole rig is in the garage. 

1 hour ago, jk13 said:

Pretty cool, but how do you know it is accurate.  Seems whatever means you used to verify accuracy would render a hitch like that useless....i.e. once you know your tongue weight, you know it.  Unless you tow multiple trailers.

Anyway, to the OP...you can buy a lock to go through the hitch where your current safety pin is.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though...I'd steal your cool hitch before I stole your trailer...:)

I use this device when not connected to my truck.  It works on the square nose trailer tongues.  I use it on my 2015 Boatmate trailer for my 2015 VLX (I suspect same trailer as yours).  It's indestructible. 

https://www.amazon.com/Trimax-UMAX100-Universal-Die-Cast-couplers/dp/B000OC3Q2I/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1468023560&sr=8-13&keywords=trailer+tongue+lock

Edited by Cory
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I had a coupler lock like this but in the process of moving a trailer I had to jackknife it and the trailer hitch made contact with the coupler.  I was amazed how easily it bent the heck out of the coupler lock.  These things may look strong but it is laughable how easy it is to smash and break one.