Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drone Footage - Wakeboarding

Anderson24

50 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

I finally was brave enough to take out the Phantom 3 and do a little trial run on the boat with the drone. The last time out with the drone (above land) it had some sort of failure that caused a death spiral. Sent it into DJI with the flight data and they confirmed it was their fault and fixed it under warranty. This is what has led to my reluctance to use it over the water. But hey, we only live once, right?

The footage isn't the greatest as it was a little trial and error on how best to control it and what shots to get. With no further delay...here is the footage I got:

(and none of the riders are me...I could only wish I was this good)

Very nice video.   A drone is on my wish list.  My gopro was recently stolen, long story not to hijack.  Was that Ryan P riding?   

Just now, DarkSide said:

Very nice video.   A drone is on my wish list.  My gopro was recently stolen, long story not to hijack.  Was that Ryan P riding?   

Yes he was the last one in the video riding. Just stupid good. We stuck to the main bay because I was nervous to fly through the canyon (signal worries), and he was the last to ride so got caught with some crappy water (in relation to the other guys). He still killed it though. Tyler got in some drone footage too, but not in the video above. He is starting to get a little air under his board!

I think I am going to bring it to Roosevelt tomorrow to play with it a little more. 

I like getting him out as well, it is fun watching people utilize the wake these things can create.  That video is awesome though.   I definitely want a drone, the more video like that I see the worse it gets.   

• Like 2

Nice first footage! Just a tip, if the pro wakeboard tour stops in a city near you I would recommend checking it out. They have pros filming with drones and you would probably get some good ideas from watching them. I just thought it was cool they were flying dji's when I went a few years ago and didn't pay any attention to the flight path they were filming from. 

37 minutes ago, IXFE said:

I can't believe that's your first video. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Haha thanks. I think you may need to make a stop in PHX again!

2 minutes ago, Anderson24 said:

Haha thanks. I think you may need to make a stop in PHX again!

My brother is actually coming to PDX next week to spend a week boating with me. He hasn't stopped asking about boats since we all went out.  He thinks he wants an A20.

So yeah, another to trip to PHX is in my future!

Are you gonna make a surf video next?

I'd be all over a drone if I thought I could actually edit the footage as well as you did. Lol 

7 hours ago, IXFE said:

Are you gonna make a surf video next?

I'd be all over a drone if I thought I could actually edit the footage as well as you did. Lol 

Yep surf will be next. I need to get comfortable flying sideways and backwards. However with surfing I can just use the "follow me" mode too. 

Editing only took me about an hour in iMovie. Honestly isn't that difficult and it makes me look way more professional than I am. 

3 hours ago, Jusmud said:

Nice video. Great first effort

Are you running FPV with the P3 ?

You can get some awesome footage

Keep up the good work ?

Like running fpv goggles? 

Yes I am currently running a Fat Shark Predator V2 system.

These goggles come with a built in 5.8GHz receiver , a 25mW or 250mW transmitter, a camera and is a plug and play.

It’s my only system and it works really well. It has 640×480 VGA resolution but with a narrower 25º field of vision. 

7 hours ago, Jusmud said:

Yes I am currently running a Fat Shark Predator V2 system.

These goggles come with a built in 5.8GHz receiver , a 25mW or 250mW transmitter, a camera and is a plug and play.

It’s my only system and it works really well. It has 640×480 VGA resolution but with a narrower 25º field of vision. 

That would be absolutely nuts. I will definitely have to check it out...