Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Wakesetter 23LSV - Won't go over 12mph

I've already had the boat out a handful of times this season with no real issues, except one run a couple weeks ago where it did the same thing. In neutral the engine runs fine, revs up to 3, 4, 5k RPM no problem, but as soon as I put it in gear and try to go it seems to bog and won't go more than 12mph or so, RPM's never get above 2500. This is with no ballast and no wedge deployed, just 4 adults in the boat. Oil pressure is good, and no problem with engine temp rising.

Recent work:

Late last season we slightly grounded the boat in an unexpected low spot (thanks CA drought!) Had to repair/replace the prop, rudder, and drive shaft. I upgraded to the ACME 2247 since I had to replace the prop anyway, I forget what the old one was. Seems odd that it would be a prop issue since I've had no problems the first few times out, although it did seem a little sluggish out of the hole at times.

Not sure what to do from hear, any thoughts are appreciated!

Just guessing a fuel delivery issue. Under load, it's going to need more gas and isn't getting it. Fuel filter? Fuel pump? I think the first thing I'd do is throw a fuel pressure gauge on it.

Steve B.

formulaben

Either way, replace fuel filter since it is cheap and check the fuel pump inlet screen for clogging.  See what the pressure gauge says...if pressure is good then I'd look at the throttle position sensor (TPS), an easy fix.

I'm going to change the fuel filter, just for good measure, but would also like to test the fuel pressure. I can see the fuel test port, but am unable to get the gauge attached with the large engine cover that is on top. Even after removing the 6 allen screws on top of the cover, it does not want to seem to budge and I'm nervous about forcing anything. Any ideas on how to easily access the fuel test port?