Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Road tar on boat vinyl

Rambino21

Hey guys , so I drove over a mountain pass the other day that was being rechipped. I didn't know until half way up so there was no turning back and going home. I drove through it as slow as possible but still got pebbles with tar in the boat. The lady and I cleaned it tonight but the stains wouldn't come out. I thought for sure hey would come out with some bug and tar remover or gasoline but had no luck. Now I need your guys help!!! Any other ideas will be tried. I'm sure this can't be the first time for you guys on this forum. Thanks for the help, Rambino.

Edited by Rambino21

they working on galena?

The sun is really amazing.  I'm being serious.  I'd also use simple green or a citrus based degreaser.  No, simple green is not "approved" for the latest Malibu vinyl but on a 2001, I'd be fine with it.  I have never had a problem with it.  hit it every day with simple green and a brush, leave it in the sun and I bet they disappear in a week.

@85 Barefoot

Ya they were working on galena about a week ago.  They just did it last year so I don't know why they did it again this year. I'm pissed about it because they didn't give a warning to turn around or anything. My vinyl that was perfect is now tarred everywhere. I was able to get the tar off but it left yellowish stains instead. I'll try using the sun but I don't know what else to try. I tried baby oil, gasoline, mineral spirits, magic eraser. I guess the only thing to try tomorrow is simple green and sun, as well as we-40.  I'm so upset about it I'm debating calling the city tomorrow.

you really think the sun would work? As far as I'm concerned the vinyl is ruined...

Edited by Rambino21

Come on, I can't be the first this has happened too... If you have any words of advise please help. I've tried everything!

Typically WD40, let sit and a non abrasive cloth for removing tar.  If you have already used gasoline and a magic eraser then I fear you have already done some irreversible damage to your vinyl.

unfortunately I agree with oldjeep.  Might now be worse after using those products.  However, I have seen the sub take out some incredible stains.  problem is an abrasive like magic eraser literally rubs off the vinyl too.

Edited by 85 Barefoot