Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat selection - need Crew help!

Jimmy Buffett

I'm considering selling my '01 LXi and getting into something different.  Over time our needs and wants have changed...wife doesn't slalom anymore, I've been through the course once in 5 years, and one kid is into wake boarding and the other just learned to ski.  I'm interested in a boat that can pull a skier...not through the course, but a serviceable ski wake at 26-32 mph.  I'd also like to be able to wakeboard and surf.  And need room for 2 families.  Basically I'd like to upgrade the wake/surf, and am willing to sacrifice the skiing.

I've looked at the VTX but think it is smaller than we want, and probably pulls skiers better than I need and may not surf as well as I want.  It's been so long since I have been in the market for a boat I have no idea what the newer models do and don't do.

Is there a boat that fits what I want?  Help appreciated!  

23 LSV?  I pulled a slalom skier last year and he said it was not as bad as he was expecting (front ballast full during the run).  Lots of space and surf/wake board great.

Vlx would be my choice. Coming from the 01 Lxi what sort of budget you are looking at??

2015 -2016 22 vlx would be $80k or so, I'm guessing that's not what you are looking to do,(unless you are, and in that case go get it)

i want to say the hull change was 04'05 for the vlx, 

• Like 1

Looking at a new boat.  Obviously I keep my boats for a long time, so I want to get the newest technology I can. 

Read a negative review of the ski wake on the 2016 22VLX.  Wonder if they're tweaking anything for 2017.

Just now, Jimmy Buffett said:

Looking at a new boat.  Obviously I keep my boats for a long time, so I want to get the newest technology I can. 

Read a negative review of the ski wake on the 2016 22VLX.  Wonder if they're tweaking anything for 2017.

All of this is going to depend on your definitions of skiing and acceptable wake.  Only way to really know will be to demo them at the speed(s) you plan on skiing at.

• Like 1

I have a 2015 VLX and the wake is acceptable.  I ski @29 mph and I have had no issues.  It is not competition, just a fun wake.  What I gain with space for gear and people, plus awesome surf and wakeboarding makes it ideal for me and my family.

I like my VLX coming from an old Echelon, its amazing how much room there is. That being said I think you cant go wrong with 23 LSV... But you pay a 5-10k premium it seems.

There do seem to be a couple of VLX's around that had the diamond hull option from my era if you want older. But newer has so many more cool options! 

I went from an 01'VLX to an 07' LSV and absolutely love the extra room.  If you have a few people/kids roaming around the boat, it isn't a big deal with the extra space of the LSV.  I wouldn't have thought the additional beam width would have made that much difference but it sure does in my opinion.

-Charlie

25 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

I think going new, you'll be able to demo the boat. It would be interesting to ski behind a VLX and an LSV back to back and see how they truly compare.

Steve B.

The LSV kicks out a bigger wake. Not as easy to ski behind, but doable. 

When you say two families, how many adult-sized bodies and how many kid-sized are we talking, and what sort of associated gear?

Also, you should post a pic of your LXi... the best looking inboard in history.

• Like 1

That's a lot of crap.  I'd say 23 LSV.  Granted our '01 doesn't have the beam of the newer boats but with 8 people aboard, we're cramped.  You might actually want to consider a MXZ with the big bow.

Gorgeous LXi!

56 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

That's a lot of crap.  I'd say 23 LSV.  Granted our '01 doesn't have the beam of the newer boats but with 8 people aboard, we're cramped.  You might actually want to consider a MXZ with the big bow.

LOL yes it is.  Going to demo the 23 LSV and 22 VLX and go from there.  I feel like I'm shopping for a Suburban...

• Like 2