Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Decent Board Racks?

triscadek

Looking for a set of racks, not sure what is good and what is junk. Don't want to break the bank, they need to be black in color, swivel isn't a necessity but would be cool depending on price. I'd like one to hold a wakeboard and a thick surf board, the other to hold a wakeboard and a knee board... Ideas??? 

Thanks! ???

1 hour ago, triscadek said:

What kind of mounts do I need for them to mount to my tower? It's a bar they clamp on to

Depends on what tower you have... Go to their web site.  Lots of tube clamp and direct bolt on options plus swivel of quick disconnect options.

On July 7, 2016 at 4:39 PM, minnmarker said:

Depends on what tower you have... Go to their web site.  Lots of tube clamp and direct bolt on options plus swivel of quick disconnect options.

I'm not sure what tower, whatever came factory on an 00 23 LSV

22 hours ago, DaDeuce said:

Are those Krypt racks any good? I noticed that I can get 2 wake/surf/wake swivels for less than the price of 1 swivel from Samson.

I wasn't sure either so ordered just the port side surf/surf swivel rack.  Liked it and then ordered the starboard side.  All the parts are machined out of aluminum and are heavy and strong.  I think the only down side it that since they are "universal" there is a separate adapter piece that attaches to the tower - and then the rack, quick release, or swivel attaches to the adapter.  Here' a picture of the racks on my boat.  The swivels are on an arm that extends backwards for the Illusion tower so the racks can rotate inside the boat. Sorry it's not a closeup of the racks.  Maybe not as slick as the more expensive ones but I'm happy with them.  The openings are wide enough to put slalom skis in.

DSCF2121r.jpg.9f70b9fcc629721a1e94487bcb

13 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

I wasn't sure either so ordered just the port side surf/surf swivel rack.  Liked it and then ordered the starboard side.  All the parts are machined out of aluminum and are heavy and strong.  I think the only down side it that since they are "universal" there is a separate adapter piece that attaches to the tower - and then the rack, quick release, or swivel attaches to the adapter.  Here' a picture of the racks on my boat.  The swivels are on an arm that extends backwards for the Illusion tower so the racks can rotate inside the boat. Sorry it's not a closeup of the racks.  Maybe not as slick as the more expensive ones but I'm happy with them.  The openings are wide enough to put slalom skis in.

DSCF2121r.jpg.9f70b9fcc629721a1e94487bcb

Mark, Can you clarify for me, it looks like these are slightly offset to the rear of the tower? Does this allow them to swivel more easily?

They have to be set back  to swivel.  They rotate around the rear of the tower.  If they were mounted to the tower they would have to be on a swiveling arm or something to keep them from hitting the tower when they swivel.   

1 hour ago, DaDeuce said:

Mark, Can you clarify for me, it looks like these are slightly offset to the rear of the tower? Does this allow them to swivel more easily?

Yep, as Gavin17 said, they have to be set to the rear to swivel.  Since the Illusion tower has a pretty steep forward sweep, the arm is a benefit in that it put the rack in a better spot in the cabin when you rotate it inwards.

9 hours ago, minnmarker said:

Yep, as Gavin17 said, they have to be set to the rear to swivel.  Since the Illusion tower has a pretty steep forward sweep, the arm is a benefit in that it put the rack in a better spot in the cabin when you rotate it inwards.

Mark, You said you ordered port and starboard sides separately? On bulletlines.com it doesn't have options for either side, it just lists the racks? Is the mounting portion the same and maybe just flips over?

Nice-rack.com has racks with a thicker center finger that prevents board chatter and actually rubber wrap the outside of the center finger to prevent board damage when loading.

• 7 months later...