Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Raley and Tantrum Attempts

onwi

Last time out we picked up a wakeskate and started messing around to get ready to try raleys.  I also started working on the tantrum the past 2 times I went out.  In honor of 95echelon's willingness to hurt himself for our viewing pleasure I thought I'd throw up quick videos of a few attempts.  Low quality stuff but somewhat entertaining.  First time on a wakeskate btw.  Really fun to just huck something and know you wont get hurt.  So feel free to laugh at the raley and tell me whats I need to do to finish the tantrum.

Edited by onwi

On the tantrum have you tried to slow down and land in the middle of the wake.  This is how they taught my son at wake camp who just landed his backroll and tantrum this summer.  He can stick both of these consistently now, next will be to start speeding up to go wake to wake.  His friend is also sticking his backroll and tantrum now, both using this teaching system.

I am no instructor but might be worth a try and the landings won't hurt near as much.  We have him at 18mph, 65'.  You look like your going quite a bit faster in those clips.

19 hours ago, Raimie said:

Thanks! That was fun to watch! You are really close on your tantrum.

Every time I try to cut hard on a wakeskate I have the it slip out on me.

Yeah it was really fun to do also.  It was awesome to be able to essentially huck whatever we wanted and know you'd be fine splashing down.  I tried a frontroll and plan on trying some spins.  

As you can see in the video I did the same slip out on my first cut.  I've been told that spending a day on a wakeskate will improve your wakeboard cutting tremendously.  Forces you to focus on building an edge with the board with a low center of gravity and not just lean against the boat.

16 hours ago, Fman said:

On the tantrum have you tried to slow down and land in the middle of the wake.  This is how they taught my son at wake camp who just landed his backroll and tantrum this summer.  He can stick both of these consistently now, next will be to start speeding up to go wake to wake.  His friend is also sticking his backroll and tantrum now, both using this teaching system.

I am no instructor but might be worth a try and the landings won't hurt near as much.  We have him at 18mph, 65'.  You look like your going quite a bit faster in those clips.

I'd consider it, but I want to ensure I get good pop.  That might be easier with the kids.  I feel pretty close being that I've tried only around 20 times.  It really is low impact if you get the board around.

I think you will be surprised how easy it is to pop off the wake at 18mph (this vid is actually 17.5), here is a quick shot of his first tantrum he ever landed from a couple weeks ago.  Now after landing several more, it is even more fluent and controlled.  Just something to consider if you are still unsuccessful and are looking for a different option to try.

Edited by Fman
19 hours ago, Fman said:

I was also going to suggest slowing down and concentrating on the pop.  From the video it looks like your really pushing to get across the wake.  What length and speed are you at?  I love the vids.  :thumbup:

13 hours ago, ID AX said:

I was also going to suggest slowing down and concentrating on the pop.  From the video it looks like your really pushing to get across the wake.  What length and speed are you at?  I love the vids.  :thumbup:

That is 65' and 22.6 mph.  

Learned a backroll at Freedom Wake Park late spring this year, we did it one wake and slowed the boat down.  I am with everyone else.  Slow it down and focus on 1 wake.  Good luck!

I'd slow down the speed just a little bit and remember to sit into the landing a bit more. Looks like you are standing tall on the wake and slipping out.

I'm no expert but I am pretty sure you throwing it a smidge to early. You are coming off your edge before you hit the wake and throwing it before your at the top so your not utilizing the entire ramp. As you heading into the wake tell yourself to wait for it. I think your so close that I wouldn't bother slowing it down because you are clearing the wake. Once you land a couple you will own it.

Thank you all for the advice.  I am especially on board with waiting and sitting into the landing.  Maybe a slight tuck of the knees to help get me around.

Oh and I swear, zero pain on the wakeskate falls.  No punishment there.

Another vote for slowing down on the tantrum approach.  A tantrum is all about edge control up the wake.  It's really hard to time it right with all that speed.  Concentrate more on loading the line and the edge change for the trip flip then a raley type cut.  A hard cut will also put a ton of tension on your arm making it even harder to land.  Once you can land them consistently, then start getting more aggressive with them. 

I think that your edge looks good. It is true that the faster you are going, the more difficult it is to time the pop. Remember, a tantrum is not about loading the line, it's a trip flip. The whole idea about cutting hard on your approach is only to gain speed into the wake in order to "trip" you when you shift off of your edge and pop off the top of the wake. I have been doing tantrums for years and I still sometimes leave too early, and I can tell a big difference in how high I get on the flip. If you pause your video when you're at the top of the wake, you can see that you aren't even off the wake yet, but your body is already at a 45 degree angle. I would focus on waiting a bit longer before you stand tall to initiate the flip. It should pop straight up off the wake and then initiate the flip once you're in the air. This will give you more time to get the rotation. If done correctly, you will end up coming down for your landing as your body is vertical. Right now, you aren't getting the pop so you are still finishing your rotation as you hit the water making it very difficult to land. That's my two cents, for what it's worth. You're almost there!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 6:55 PM, Fman said:

I think you will be surprised how easy it is to pop off the wake at 18mph (this vid is actually 17.5), here is a quick shot of his first tantrum he ever landed from a couple weeks ago.  Now after landing several more, it is even more fluent and controlled.  Just something to consider if you are still unsuccessful and are looking for a different option to try.

This video is what being on the water is all about to me!!!!!   Such a team sport.   No better feeling then when someone in your crew nails a new trick!!!  The entire boat erupts with joy and pride.  

• 2 weeks later...