Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My first Boat

BigJerDog

Well it has taken me forever. I have been renting borrowing and mooching boats for the last 10 years. I just bought my first boat and its a 88 Malibu Skier. I am stoked. I am amazed at the wake it throws for being an old ski boat. It is in desparate need of new skins. I have seen this "Chee" person mentioned quite a bit. What does he charge for complete sets and can anyone put me in touch with him? Also, now that I am an owner I was wondering what spare parts/equipment do you guys feel it is absolutely essential to have extras of out on the water? Any help would be appreciated.

Well it has taken me forever. I have been renting borrowing and mooching boats for the last 10 years. I just bought my first boat and its a 88 Malibu Skier. I am stoked. I am amazed at the wake it throws for being an old ski boat. It is in desparate need of new skins. I have seen this "Chee" person mentioned quite a bit. What does he charge for complete sets and can anyone put me in touch with him? Also, now that I am an owner I was wondering what spare parts/equipment do you guys feel it is absolutely essential to have extras of out on the water? Any help would be appreciated.
Impellor & brass drain plugs. :)

Welcome.gif To The Site. :)

88 Skier! Very nice first boat. I still love how those boats handle and ski. As far as what parts to carry, what Norcal said and when you can get one an extra prop and prop puller for those trips out of town when a bent prop could ruin your vacation.

Welcome to the site.

Joe

Welcome.gif to the Malibu Crew!!!

I would recommend a solid first aid kit as a boat essential. Include: necessary first aid items but then add, waterproof camera (you never know), a suitable knife, goggles (seriously we have used them several times), and pen/paper etc. We developed this kit after we were hit by a large Sea Ray and realised we didn't have a pen/paper...their hull had passed and we could no longer make their id.

Again...welcome to the board!

Buy a basic home tool kit and keep in the boat you never know how bad you need a screw wdriver or pair of pliers untill you are stuck in the middle of the lake at sunset.

None of the above are any good without tools. And don forget duct tape and sip ties. You can fix almost anything with the last two.

where are you from BigJerDog?

Edited by Ramman17

I will add some pics this weekend. I am from the Bay Area, California. I am in San Jose about 15 minutes from Anderson Damn in Morgan Hill. That is where I will be repp'n for the rest of the summer probably. I dont think I have time for any weekend trips to some of the bigger lakes. I need to work on the stereo and get a bimini for it this weekend. I have a wake designs "Big Pole" so I dont think I am going to run out and get a tower for it yet. But man... do I ever want one. Just not sure how nice they sit on some of the older boats. Thanks all for the info on my tool and parts box for my new Bu'. I am going to start putting it together this week. Thanks for the warm welcome! Look forward to some fun times here...

Welcome to the site!

We should hook up. If you're looking for a third email me.

Greg beat me to the gear list. It'll give you plenty to spend your money on :)

I don't know this guy, but from what I have been reading on the other threads, Ken's mom is a must have.

From personal experience we have enjoyed having Ken's mom...she is the must have accessory for every boat but is currently in high demand.

I will add some pics this weekend. I am from the Bay Area, California. I am in San Jose about 15 minutes from Anderson Damn in Morgan Hill. That is where I will be repp'n for the rest of the summer probably. I dont think I have time for any weekend trips to some of the bigger lakes. I need to work on the stereo and get a bimini for it this weekend. I have a wake designs "Big Pole" so I dont think I am going to run out and get a tower for it yet. But man... do I ever want one. Just not sure how nice they sit on some of the older boats. Thanks all for the info on my tool and parts box for my new Bu'. I am going to start putting it together this week. Thanks for the warm welcome! Look forward to some fun times here...

You chould check out the central california owners thread in the crew on the water section. There are a bunch of us from the Bay Area and Ls-one and I are both houseboaters on Lake McClure. If you make any trips there drop us a note and stop by.

You should also check out www.fun-and-sun.org. They are a San Jose based ski club that welcomes boat owners and it's a good thing to have if you ever have trouble finding a third to ski.

I don't know this guy, but from what I have been reading on the other threads, Ken's mom is a must have.

From personal experience we have enjoyed having Ken's mom...she is the must have accessory for every boat but is currently in high demand.

Todd and Heidi mom's are always available during the day and a must have for cheap ballast and a new boater but, they are never available in the evenings at least for boating.

Edited by RiverRunner

Welcome to the site!

I had Chee make new skins for my 93 echelon and it looks like new.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info on pricing.

Welcome to the site! Great info here as you will see. I had a 90 Skier, and yours is probably carbed and has a points distributor. Keep you an extra set of points & a rotor cap. The impellor is a good idea, but the fresh water pump on my old Mercruiser 5.7 comp. ski had to be completely removed and taken apart to change the impellor. The skier is a great boat as I really enjoyed mine. I did all the maintenance, as well as some repairs. Nothing major though. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have in the future. My email is [email protected].

George

I'll echo everything said above, and add (our boats are essentially identical):

jumper cables (or add a second battery with an isolation switch - for long hours floating w/ stereo)

spare fuses

and speaking of fuses... i'm probably going to re-do the whole fuse assembly.

where it is mounted on the center post behind the spotter's seat is a place that continually gets bumped when pulling skis or vests out of the storage.

first place to look if your blower/bilge pump/lights don't come on... look for a bumped fuse under there.

and always have an oar/paddle... you'll never need it if you've got it.

-Dubya